Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2018, 06:25 PM

30,354 posts, read 51,942,966 times

Advertisements

Oh, and I don't think anyone should feel obligated to "dress their age." What does that mean, anyway? I'm 42 years old now, and wear whatever the heck I want (within reason and work appropriateness). If I feel like wearing jeans and a graphic tee, that is what I'm going to wear... and unless someone is offering to buy me a new wardrobe, I couldn't care less what they think. One of the perks of getting older is caring less & less about other people's opinions. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2018, 06:46 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Oh, and I don't think anyone should feel obligated to "dress their age." What does that mean, anyway? I'm 42 years old now, and wear whatever the heck I want (within reason and work appropriateness). If I feel like wearing jeans and a graphic tee, that is what I'm going to wear... and unless someone is offering to buy me a new wardrobe, I couldn't care less what they think. One of the perks of getting older is caring less & less about other people's opinions. LOL
Ditto, and I'm in my fifties. Recently, my daughter talked me into buying a pair of pre-distressed skinny jeans. I love them! They fit well, and they're flattering. I wear them with a pair of nice boots, a sweater, and a pretty scarf. I don't think anyone would mistake me for a thirty-year-old, but dressing this way makes me feel younger and more fashionable. My MIL gives me the stink-eye whenever she sees me in distressed jeans, and I don't care at all.

Old 11-05-2018, 07:05 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,769,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
When you say "a solid color shirt" ... what kind of shirt?

Retire the UGGs and skip the flip flops when you're going to be around granny. Find some simple flats.
UGGS are comfortable. And warm in winter. Flip flops are comfortable. And cool in summer.

I wear both!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
I agree....

age-appropriate clothing is what you should focus on, you're not a kid anymore. That's likely what your grandmother is trying to say...You don't have to give up jeans but a pair of smart leather booties is more appropriate than Uggs. Shop in stores that have styles for women your age. Walk about boutiques or review magazines and see what you like.

You're not the age range for junior size/style shopping. Jewelry not necessary if you don't care for it. Go for a more put together look than just throwing on comfort clothes. They look sloppy.

Have fun choosing clothing a bit more sophisticated.
I'm all about the comfort over style. Sorry, that's me! UGGS are far more comfortable than booties too. So it's jeans, leggings, tanks, tshirts, UGGS, tennis shoes, flip flops, shorts for me. Those things make up the majority of my wardrobe.

Oh, and I'm mid-50s.

Almost forgot to say I have longish hair and almost always wear it in a pony tail.

Old 11-05-2018, 07:54 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Perhaps upgrade to some different boots that you can wear with socks. UGGs weren't a good look when they were the current trend. Even less so now.

To be honest, what you're describing sounds like what 20-somethings wear. You don't have to go old fashioned and stodgy, but your 30's might be time to consider polishing your look a little.
I agree.

I am no longer a 30-something but I just wanted to add a bit more polish in my 30s. Sleek sneakers jnstead of basic trainer (although trainers are really in right now.). I wear nicer flats for most days. I love booties and have had plenty of comfortable pairs over the years that work fine for a whole day of walking.

Also fit matters a lot, especially as I get older.

I wear skinny jeans, leggings, graphic shirts (proper fitting ones). Instead of doing a 100% casual outfit, I mix in one formal item. Or dress down my formal with something casual. And comfort comes in many packages.

For example right now I have a black knit jumpsuit that I wear all the time. I wear it with sneakers, dress shoes, booties, cardigans, blazers, hoodies and even t-shirts. It works for all ocassions and feels like pjs.

Old 11-05-2018, 09:07 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Your grandma seems to be a creature of a certain era. What you describe as your normal attire sounds typical for your age.

I work with virtually nobody who wears blouses, ever, at any age. But settings do vary.

Old 11-05-2018, 10:13 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,382,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
Help?
How do I explain to her what I wear is on par for my age?
When she points people out to me they’re always older than me and she never agrees with me when I tell her that.
Don't explain. What you wear is no one else's business.

Old 11-06-2018, 06:05 AM

5,401 posts, read 6,531,949 times
Sometimes you can have the same look but up the quality & end up looking more polished. Sporty sneaks or cute boots with jeans or a simple cashmere crewneck sweater or turtleneck changes a look for the better.

Is your current style holding you back from better jobs? Are you happy with your social life? If you're happy with all, don't worry about it.

I think flipflops look tacky, but I'd never tell someone that.

Old 11-06-2018, 06:57 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,460,293 times
It depends. At 30, a woman can and should be still be dressing in an alluring manner.

I definitely think it's more attractive hair down as much as possible, and her hair is shoulder length or longer. The longer, the better. I also think a woman should spend a lot of time in the gym, and not be afraid of a little bit of free weight action. The combination of these two things will make almost any outfit she chooses even hotter.

Jeans and tank tops can be a good look. There are better looks. I like when women wear skirts that accentuate their legs. I prefer shorts to jeans.

Solid color shirts are fine. There are probably some nice dresses that aren't too conservative that OP could wear.

Old 11-06-2018, 08:32 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
It depends. At 30, a woman can and should be still be dressing in an alluring manner.

I definitely think it's more attractive hair down as much as possible, and her hair is shoulder length or longer. The longer, the better. I also think a woman should spend a lot of time in the gym, and not be afraid of a little bit of free weight action. The combination of these two things will make almost any outfit she chooses even hotter.

Jeans and tank tops can be a good look. There are better looks. I like when women wear skirts that accentuate their legs. I prefer shorts to jeans.

Solid color shirts are fine. There are probably some nice dresses that aren't too conservative that OP could wear.

You are describing your idea woman and your misogynistic views.

OP is asking for appropriate clothes for her age.

Every woman can't wear long hair, it is not flattering to some....etc.
You have no clue.

Old 11-06-2018, 08:43 AM

1,299 posts, read 823,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post

Alluring to whom? You? In your mind does this apply to all 30yo women? That's gross.

Women are not bound by misogynistic "shoulds".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty