U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 09:52 AM

2,977 posts, read 4,706,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
You are describing your idea woman and your misogynistic views.

OP is asking for appropriate clothes for her age.

Every woman can't wear long hair, it is not flattering to some....etc.
You have no clue.

Didn't you get the memo? Women's entire existence is dedicated to pleasing men and wearing your hair, makeup, and clothing exactly how any individual guy wants, regardless of what you want for yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 10:19 AM

1,841 posts, read 786,165 times
Sounds like you dress casual and low maintenance. Nothing wrong with that

Old Yesterday, 10:36 AM

3,155 posts, read 1,744,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
You are describing your idea woman and your misogynistic views.

OP is asking for appropriate clothes for her age.

Every woman can't wear long hair, it is not flattering to some....etc.
You have no clue.

My views are only perceived by some as misogynistic due to the fact that the United States has fostered an unhealthy cultural perspective on the relationships between the two sexes. There was nothing in the wardrobe suggestions that I made that was inherently off base. We know nothing about the OP's life details, which would actually be relevant in the composition of a wardrobe. Life details including relationship status and occupation would be relevant considerations.

If the OP is 30, her grandmother is probably somewhere between 75 and 90. I believe that her grandmother is a sweet old woman with good intentions. However, her grandmother is probably slightly outdated in her perspectives and recommendations on fashion choices. It does not mean that some of OP's grandma's suggestions lack merit, because there are some that do.

Dressing in a feminine manner is appealing. Femininity is something that should be embraced. She can wear elegant dresses of any length. She can wear skirts. She can wear shorts. She can wear pants, though the whole pantsuit type look is less feminine than wearing a skirt. There are certain fashions that have a timeless look and can be functional in any era. I suggest that OP focus on these types of fashions.

Old Yesterday, 10:39 AM

17,953 posts, read 3,624,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
My views are only perceived by some as misogynistic due to the fact that the United States has fostered an unhealthy cultural perspective on the relationships between the two sexes. There was nothing in the wardrobe suggestions that I made that was inherently off base. We know nothing about the OP's life details, which would actually be relevant in the composition of a wardrobe. Life details including relationship status and occupation would be relevant considerations.

If the OP is 30, her grandmother is probably somewhere between 75 and 90. I believe that her grandmother is a sweet old woman with good intentions. However, her grandmother is probably slightly outdated in her perspectives and recommendations on fashion choices. It does not mean that some of OP's grandma's suggestions lack merit, because there are some that do.

Dressing in a feminine manner is appealing. Femininity is something that should be embraced. She can wear elegant dresses of any length. She can wear skirts. She can wear shorts. She can wear pants, though the whole pantsuit type look is less feminine than wearing a skirt. There are certain fashions that have a timeless look and can be functional in any era. I suggest that OP focus on these types of fashions.

Old Yesterday, 10:50 AM

18,971 posts, read 12,554,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Ditto, and I'm in my fifties. Recently, my daughter talked me into buying a pair of pre-distressed skinny jeans. I love them! They fit well, and they're flattering. I wear them with a pair of nice boots, a sweater, and a pretty scarf. I don't think anyone would mistake me for a thirty-year-old, but dressing this way makes me feel younger and more fashionable. My MIL gives me the stink-eye whenever she sees me in distressed jeans, and I don't care at all.
Iím old, born in 1946, and I donít understand why old ladies want other women to dress in certain ways.

I wear skinny jeans, by the way.

Even my mother, birn in 1918, never told me to dress in a certain way, after I became an adult. Except for a brief time in the 1970s when (gasp) all the younger women wanted to wear pantsuits. Surely we are all over this stuff by now?

Iíd just pay no attention to grandmothers or moms who want to dictate how you dress. I would not recommend showing cleavage in the workplace or house of worship, but other than that, dress how you want to. It is a free country, so far anyway.

Old Yesterday, 11:06 AM

21,516 posts, read 22,763,826 times
I'm still having a hard time getting a mental picture of what the OP's wearing and what the grandma is objecting to--can you find pics on Pinterest or shopping sites to show us what your outfits look like?

Old Yesterday, 11:30 AM

15,777 posts, read 8,809,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Iím old, born in 1946, and I donít understand why old ladies want other women to dress in certain ways.

I wear skinny jeans, by the way.

Even my mother, birn in 1918, never told me to dress in a certain way, after I became an adult. Except for a brief time in the 1970s when (gasp) all the younger women wanted to wear pantsuits. Surely we are all over this stuff by now?

Iíd just pay no attention to grandmothers or moms who want to dictate how you dress. I would not recommend showing cleavage in the workplace or house of worship, but other than that, dress how you want to. It is a free country, so far anyway.
She wouldn't dare dictate how I should dress. She just gives me the "look." I know the look. I use it on my own kids!

I like to dress up, too, but for day to day at this time of year, it's skinny jeans, boots, a pull-over sweater or long-sleeved tee, and a big scarf looped around my neck. I wear my chin-length hair loose and wavy. I'm not a big make-up person, but as I've aged, I've found that a sweep of mascara, a little blush, and a bit of tinted lip balm give me a nice, natural glow. I'm casual but pulled together, and I think it's appropriate look for young women all the way to those of us who are middle-aged and beyond, especially here in Colorado.

Old Yesterday, 12:23 PM

8,211 posts, read 7,504,031 times
Retire the Uggs and flip flops with grandma. You are one step away from pajamas.

There are some really cute jeans and sweaters on the market. You can be comfortable and cute.

Jeans
https://www.vicicollection.com/colle...tressed-skinny

Cardigan and tee shirt.
https://www.vicicollection.com/colle...keted-cardigan

Leopard is the hot thing this year.

Old Yesterday, 12:39 PM

9,559 posts, read 13,388,072 times
I think she just wan't you to look a little more polished when you are with her. My daughters SO used to want to go everywhere in a tank top, camos, and scruffy oversized combat boots, she's always in cheap flip flops. Fine, whatever if we aren't going somewhere nice, but please if we are going to dinner or the doctors office or something could you please look like you give a ____?
I doubt your gran expects you to put on a blouse and slacks, but a nice comfy pair of loafers or ballet flats or a cute pair of low heeled boots would probably go a long way in stopping some of her comments.

Old Yesterday, 12:48 PM

72,961 posts, read 64,436,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post

I donít do heels. I have way too much wrong with my spine to be wearing heels. Iíd have to be making 10K a month before I even would think about wearing any kind of heel for anything.
I can so relate to this! Back issues, and podiatry issues are why I don't wear heels. Well, besides the fact that I've never been interested in them, anyway. Have you explained to your gran, that you can't wear heels, for medical reasons?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or