Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2018, 08:27 PM

1,299 posts, read 814,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Same thing as if you and your SO are at an expensive restaurant for your anniversary. Wouldn’t it spoil the experience if the people at the next table looked like they just hopped off the lawnmower?
This made me laugh. When I'm out for a special evening with my husband, the last thing I'm doing is analyzing the clothing choices of other tables' occupants and judging them as appropriate/not appropriate according to random standards. Good lord.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2018, 08:48 AM

4,977 posts, read 5,721,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bondaroo View Post
This made me laugh. When I'm out for a special evening with my husband, the last thing I'm doing is analyzing the clothing choices of other tables' occupants and judging them as appropriate/not appropriate according to random standards. Good lord.
yes, I agree. I could not even tell you what the people at other tables are wearing when I go out to eat with friends. I'm paying attention to my friends, NOT to the strangers around me.

Old 11-13-2018, 05:44 PM

4,857 posts, read 5,769,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
This is the crux of it....the basic disagreement. Nobody is asking you to be uncomfortable, that’s a lame argument. Their is comfort and order in certain social conventions, and behavior that is respectful to others.

Let’s just say you are invited to a fancy wedding reception, where everyone is dressed appropriately, except one guy who is only “comfortable” in shorts and a tank top. It’s not respectful to the person who went to the expense and care to make everything special. He is saying, “You are not worth my trouble.”

Same thing as if you and your SO are at an expensive restaurant for your anniversary. Wouldn’t it spoil the experience if the people at the next table looked like they just hopped off the lawnmower?
Screw social conventions and "respect."

I don't see it that way. If he were in the wedding and his idea of a suit is one of those tux tshirts and black pants, I might question his choices. When I was at my brothers wedding and reception I wore the prom suit jacket I had, which was red, my fadora, I think some black kahkis and one of my leather trench coats drapped over my shoulders. Other than my prom suit, I don't own a suit or tux, I don't care to. Chances are the groom, bride, or both would expect said guy to not get gussied up or he wouldn't be invited.

No it wouldn't spoil my experience if some people were dressed as they pleased. It's a trivial affair that only such a busy body would concern their selves with. Somebody like Samanthas neighbour on Bewitched. I wouldn't even want to go to such an expensive place with such requirements of dress. Outback Steakhouse and other basically same thing restaurants are more my speed. To which the fanciest You'd ever see me dress is a button down with rolled sleeves.

I'm just one of those.people who value my comfort over everything else and care less of brief social acceptance... or as you called it social.convention. Same thing. I'd much rather be wearing a pair of Tripps, tactical boots, graphic tee, and my sleeveless trench. Other than my Tripps I own mostly jeans and kahkis, graphic tees, button downs, hoodies, five trench coats, boots, two pair of sleeves, about ten pairs of sunglasses, a few snapbacks, a few long sleeve tees for under the short sleeved ones or hoodies, a gautlet/brazzer made of hard leather, like six pairs of capris. I have shorts I don't wear because tbey are too short and one polo from a job I had as a bouncer, which other than the pay, was the worsr part of the job. I dress no more than casual or goth and Iook good in all of it.

Old 11-13-2018, 05:50 PM

4,857 posts, read 5,769,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
I love Uggs. I have multiple pairs but after a while they start to look like bedroom slippers.

Most people don't realize this but Uggs were invented by surfers to be beach shoes not snow shoes. When the surfers got out of the cold Pacific Ocean, they wanted something warm to put on their feet. They are actually perfect up to 83 degrees.

JJill is almost as bad as Chicos. Horrible. I'm 53 and wouldn't be caught dead in either.

I think the Target idea is a great one.
Actually Uggs were built to be and ever so popular in Australia to be house shoes(bedroom slippers). They would be horrible beach shoes being made of material that would attract sand and absorb water. Fur and inverted leather.... pretty much a mauchasin.

Old 11-13-2018, 05:53 PM

4 posts, read 2,539 times
Can't believe there are 9 pages here. Where what you want when you're 30, 20, Or 90 for that matter. You don't have to do anything. Do what you want. /thread

Old 11-14-2018, 04:32 PM

11,936 posts, read 12,999,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
Actually Uggs were built to be and ever so popular in Australia to be house shoes(bedroom slippers). They would be horrible beach shoes being made of material that would attract sand and absorb water. Fur and inverted leather.... pretty much a mauchasin.
Nope, they were started by a surfer for surfers and their nickname was slippers. You misread wikipedia.

I started buying them in surf shops in South Carolina in the late nineties.

I still see surfers in them all the time in the on our South Florida surfing beaches in the winter.

Old 11-15-2018, 01:40 AM

11,540 posts, read 12,565,080 times
I don't see a problem with what the OP is wearing. This is pretty common dress for 30 somethings in the tech field. Skinny jeans, leggings, flannel shirts, hooded or non-hooded sweatshirts, tee shirts. The French love their white addidas. C'est Chic. I see flip flops in the summer all the time, even in law firms and bank offices, but they are nice ones and then the young women are wearing sleeveless summer dresses. In tech, it's all casual. If all you are doing is going to the store and taking Grandma to her doctor appointments, who cares what you wear. Wear whatever is comfortable. I sympathize about the finding shoes that don't hurt. It's not worth it to wear a shoe that causes you pain just for style. Grandma should come and look at some NY and CA tech companies. She'd think the all-young staff are so poor because of their clothes, while they are all making 6 figures.

If you must go to a chain store, maybe UNIQO? Most of the young women that I know like to comb the (not cheap) thrift stores for "vintage clothes" when they have to dress up.

Old 11-15-2018, 08:46 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,289,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Txt is not looking for suggestions on stepping up her wardrobe. She wants affirmations that she's right.
So?

Old 11-15-2018, 09:23 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,697,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
I don't see a problem with what the OP is wearing. This is pretty common dress for 30 somethings in the tech field. Skinny jeans, leggings, flannel shirts, hooded or non-hooded sweatshirts, tee shirts. The French love their white addidas. C'est Chic. I see flip flops in the summer all the time, even in law firms and bank offices, but they are nice ones and then the young women are wearing sleeveless summer dresses. In tech, it's all casual. If all you are doing is going to the store and taking Grandma to her doctor appointments, who cares what you wear. Wear whatever is comfortable. I sympathize about the finding shoes that don't hurt. It's not worth it to wear a shoe that causes you pain just for style. Grandma should come and look at some NY and CA tech companies. She'd think the all-young staff are so poor because of their clothes, while they are all making 6 figures.

If you must go to a chain store, maybe UNIQO? Most of the young women that I know like to comb the (not cheap) thrift stores for "vintage clothes" when they have to dress up.
I work in tech and find it to be too casual. I’m not anti leggings and skinny jeans. Just not paired with all casual gym inspired clothing and accessories. My office has a subset of ladies trying dress up Tuesdays.

Being intentional about fit, fabric and cut you can take the same idea and elevate it a little.

I find that the super casual world we live in means people have no idea how to dress for fancier ocassions. Clubwear is confused for formalwear. Leggings and hoodies for an evening at the theater/symphony/ballet/whatever.

Old 11-15-2018, 11:01 AM

12,636 posts, read 14,768,338 times
People 20, 30, 40, & beyond if they still have the body for it can & should wear any of the fashions that are sold in today's stores that you see in any average mall: All the dept stores, New York & Co., Express, Anthropologie, Free People, & a lot more, etc.

Otherwise, you risk looking dated, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty