U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 05:58 PM

777 posts, read 272,273 times

Advertisements

this might be a good answer, from a 2013 article:

A strategic mistake made close to two years ago, regarding its pricing strategy --
replacement of sales through coupons with everyday low prices.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/panosmo.../#74582025134c
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 06:08 PM

4,682 posts, read 7,236,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
IZOD lost its design language and focus when Lacoste stopped the licensing agreement in the 1990s. Lacoste then reintroduced the brand to the US market on its own, focusing on upscale sportswear, whereas IZOD attempted to compete with a crowded brand marketplace, inspired by the much older Lacoste collections, but manufactured. IZOD does not have a fashion focus, and just manufactures clothes that are based upon prevailing price points and standard designs. Differences from various seasons are in patterns and colors, but the underlying design of the garments produced do not change, which is different from a fashion-oriented brand that does feature new designs and fabrics, even if the company has some stalwarts, i.e., RL's polo shirts and rugby shirts that are clothing, but the Purple Label is fashion.
I disagree with most of this. This was the IZOD of the 2000s and early 2010s, but since 2016 they have been more innovative with their styles and have been in recovery without alienating their loyal customers. The Advantage Polo has been a huge success for the brand and the golf lines are also strong sellers. IZOD has recently been introducing sublabels such as Advantage, Saltwater, Premium Essentials, and Golf to be more in line with most fashion companies and their sublabels. Fact is , IZOD has been far more innovative with its lineup than Chaps.

Old Yesterday, 07:01 PM

17,663 posts, read 21,846,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
I was wondering, but it seems like on many fashion forums JCPenney tends to have a negative reputation. This is what is hurting them with sales. It seems that many people actually prefer to buy their clothes at Target over JCPenney, even though JCPenney is more upscale than Target (about on the same level as Kohl's and slightly above Sears).

So, why does JCPenney tend to have a negative reputation among fashion forums?
It doesn't have a "negative reputation". It's a "middle middle" store, that does not have a "Fashion Forward" reputation - and really never did

It's a great place to get kids clothes, staples, socks, pjs.

In recent years, it's gotten better. I like it because I can usually find staples there and they have a good petite selection. I don't see as much of a difference between JCP and Macy's as I once did.

Some posters have said that the stores are run down or disorganized. In my current area - North eastern Ohio, and my former local, Long Island, the stores are clean, stylish looking, and easy to shop.

I also like the fact that Sephora is located inside.

Old Yesterday, 07:30 PM

17,663 posts, read 21,846,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I shopped at JCP online for years because it is one of the few places that sells tall women's clothing, and the only one I know of that sells them at reasonable prices. There are no brick-and-mortar stores for tall women with the occasional exception that sometimes you can find jeans or pants in longer lengths. Once upon a time, a couple of decades ago, there was such a store in New York City, but it closed.

I had a business job that required appropriate attire; i.e., suits, or pants or skirts with a business jacket. I ordered them through JCP online to get things that fit my arms, legs, and body. There are one or two other online sources, but they are much more expensive.

Now that I retired from my career and only need business attire for when I work part-part-time, I've kept a few basics, and they will probably be sufficient for any remaining work I may do, so if JCP goes out of business, I'll be OK, but lord help any younger tall women trying to move up in the business world.
Yes MQ, they are a good place for "career basics". I mean a slim black skirt is a slim black skirt. Staple clothes are readily available. I'm only 5'5" and if I need something basic, I can usually find it there.

I've also bought clothes that I wear only once there, not as much for myself, but for my kids, as teens and tweens. On Long Island, the two of them were invited to so many Bar/Bat Mitzvah parties that entailed semi-formal clothes that they will likely never wear again.
My son is very tall and slim, and really never ever dresses up. He was a growing boy, so why buy an expensive investment suit?

My daughter, only 5'1" and very thin and petite. It was easy to find dressy, semi-formal, small dresses for these parties, for Home Coming, Graduations and other events. With metallic or dyed to match strappy sandals, and a cute clutch, she looked like a million dollars - for less than $100!

Old Yesterday, 07:43 PM

749 posts, read 362,417 times
Most people who are into fashion are into more upscale fashion. Not that people can't be fashionable on a budget, but if you are looking at bloggers, etc. it will be at least more upscale than JCP. Target will get more play because their selections are more fashion forward these days. I see things I like at Target frequently, but don't really buy much because it still feels lower quality to me. And I'm not sure I'd call JCP more upscale either.

Old Yesterday, 07:49 PM

4,682 posts, read 7,236,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL74 View Post
Most people who are into fashion are into more upscale fashion. Not that people can't be fashionable on a budget, but if you are looking at bloggers, etc. it will be at least more upscale than JCP. Target will get more play because their selections are more fashion forward these days. I see things I like at Target frequently, but don't really buy much because it still feels lower quality to me. And I'm not sure I'd call JCP more upscale either.
Kohl's doesn't nearly have the negative reputation as JCPenney and competes in the same market segment.

Old Yesterday, 08:04 PM
Status: ""Don't count the days; make the days count "" (set 18 days ago)

346 posts, read 96,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
In my current area - North eastern Ohio, and my former local, Long Island, the stores are clean, stylish looking, and easy to shop.

I also like the fact that Sephora is located inside.

What now seems like ages ago I can remember going into the Penny store that was at Smith Haven Mall.....and it was clean, stylish looking and easy to shop as the ones you described....I can remember having their credit card and probably still have it in a box of old expired stuff....

Did you ever go to a Swezey's department store ? Family owned out of Patchogue with only a few locations but I knew 2 people who were long time employee's there that loved working for them and they both were extremely saddened when told the news they were closing down for good after being in business for over 100 years.

Old Yesterday, 08:12 PM

13,730 posts, read 8,725,507 times
Penney is a distant memory around here, as is Sears. They closed shop a year ago. Memories are short. I am sure in a few years, young people won't even know the names. I never warmed up to Penney. Most of my money went to Sears, mostly applicances and tools. The new fangled boutiques that populate malls these days have nothign foe me. Half the time I can't even tell what they are selling.

Old Yesterday, 08:35 PM

10,760 posts, read 25,595,998 times
Quote:
I disagree with most of this. This was the IZOD of the 2000s and early 2010s, but since 2016 they have been more innovative with their styles and have been in recovery without alienating their loyal customers. The Advantage Polo has been a huge success for the brand and the golf lines are also strong sellers. IZOD has recently been introducing sublabels such as Advantage, Saltwater, Premium Essentials, and Golf to be more in line with most fashion companies and their sublabels. Fact is , IZOD has been far more innovative with its lineup than Chaps.
Both are clothing brands, but IZOD doesn't have a fashion label that is helping to steer the collection, even if it percolates through the lineup over a couple of seasons as it moves from the higher-end to the bridge lines and then the mainstream line.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old Yesterday, 09:04 PM

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río Porciúncula
13,996 posts, read 14,170,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY 915 View Post
Their stock is currently under $2.00 and...
Their stock is tanking because of Walmart, Target, and Amazon (new Amazon wardrobe operation). All three have an Internet presence and are actively integrating brick 'n mortar with Internet. Ever heard of JCP online? No, because they aren't advertising. They're losers from a bygone era, like Sears.

I'm testing Amazon Wardrobe right now, my stuff got here yesterday, got 7 days to return what I don't want. Free shipping, no charge until I decide what I want to keep. I got a Calvin Klein t-shirt and 2 different pairs of Ugg slippers/loafers. The CK t-shirt was too large despite following their sizing guide, one of the Uggs kept falling off my feet. Prolly keep the other Uggs and send the rest back. I might order another of the CK t-shirt in my size...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
It doesn't have a "negative reputation". It's a "middle middle" store, that does not have a "Fashion Forward" reputation - and really never did.
Exactly.

Quote:
Kohl's doesn't nearly have the negative reputation as JCPenney and competes in the same market segment.
Kohl's in L.A. is pretty much a bottom feeder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or