U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2018, 09:13 PM

4,685 posts, read 7,236,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
Both are clothing brands, but IZOD doesn't have a fashion label that is helping to steer the collection, even if it percolates through the lineup over a couple of seasons as it moves from the higher-end to the bridge lines and then the mainstream line.
IZOD has the backing of PVH, a major fashion company who also owns Tommy Hilfiger and Calvin Klein, and PVH in recent years has put more innovation and marketing effort into the IZOD brand. IZOD has actually been making a comeback in popularity since 2016 after their low period in 2014-2015, with in this year alone the women's lineup making a return as well as the launch of the StyleBureau.com website for direct sales alongside Van Heusen. IZOD's collections saw a huge overhaul in Spring 2016, with less focus on their traditional cotton pique polo shirts and more focus on their Advantage Pique Polo, which now outsells their original Heritage cotton pique polo. And IZOD has been doing some different things for different seasons. In Fall 2017 there were a lot of stretch fabric oxford shirts, Spring 2018 had a lot of natural stretch poplin in their Premium Essentials line, and Fall 2018 is all about flannel.

I think what might have hurt IZOD in the early 2000s that got them in their 2014-2015 situation was that in the early 2010s IZOD actually tried to go upscale with their Luxury Sport line. That didn't work out against more established premium brands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2018, 09:31 PM

13,576 posts, read 29,563,482 times
JCP and Kohl’s are pretty much the same to me, and I shop at both of them occasionally. I do have some Arizona jeans from JCP and they’re about as good as Levi’s (although I still prefer Levi’s). The St Johns Bay brand is pretty decent as well.

About the only clothing I’d buy at Target would be packs of undershirts, their other clothes seem cheap like Walmart’s.

Old 11-09-2018, 09:38 PM

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río Porciúncula
14,042 posts, read 14,170,537 times
I like Target's sheets, forgot the brand, three capital letters. Nix the clothing.

Old 11-09-2018, 11:08 PM

18,124 posts, read 17,261,020 times
It's been years since I've been in a Penneys. I think they only have it at the mall and I don't go to any mall.

I've never found anything in Target. I enjoy Kohl's for cheap costume jewelry and kids clothes but for myself, no. The clothes seem cheap and not very interesting. I see a lot of plus sized clothes in Kohl's but not much for regular sizes.

I guess I think of Penney's as old fashioned and a place where my mother used to buy kids' underwear back in the 1950s and 1960s. Then she would go to a better store to buy other clothing. They also had furniture and it was very poorly made. Maybe the description of it being "stodgy" is correct.

Old 11-09-2018, 11:16 PM

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río Porciúncula
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I enjoy Kohl's for cheap costume jewelry and kids clothes but for myself, no. The clothes seem cheap and not very interesting.
Exactly so. Crapola clothing. The last time I saw inside Kohl's it wasn't much better than Goodwill.

As far as jewelry, I'm an investor in a pawn shop and get the good stuff at bottom prices. I wear only real stuff. Gold, white gold, diamonds... I should look into platinum. I have a lot of good sterling silver stuff too, good for vacation because it's no big deal if it gets stolen. I won't cry that much over losing $100 on a sterling Figaro necklace. Good luck to the person who steals my cross. No way will I wear my gold Figaro overseas, or my gold Figaro wrist chain.

Old 11-09-2018, 11:41 PM

26,909 posts, read 28,251,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJKB View Post
JC Penney (at least the ones near me) are so old and run down. The dressing rooms are dark, dusty and dirty and it's impossible to find a check out register, or when you do, you stand there for 15 minutes. And their returns SUCK too..you can't do returns at the regular registers.
I'll go to Target any day of the week for the ease of it all.
All the ones I can think of in the Bay suck too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL74 View Post
Most people who are into fashion are into more upscale fashion. Not that people can't be fashionable on a budget, but if you are looking at bloggers, etc. it will be at least more upscale than JCP. Target will get more play because their selections are more fashion forward these days. I see things I like at Target frequently, but don't really buy much because it still feels lower quality to me. And I'm not sure I'd call JCP more upscale either.

Everytime I’ve walked into JCP I tbought things felt cheap,and crappy. The fashion forward stuff was eitger poorly stiched or cut horribly.

Last year I did get a great dress fkr holiday parties for cheap, so that was a first purchase for me in ages.

Old Yesterday, 12:07 AM

900 posts, read 1,308,241 times
I'm tall (5'11.5") and I guess older - I'm 41 - but I prefer JcPenney to Kohl's and a lot of other places. I too, don't understand why they receive so much hate. I've bought jeans in tall women's lengths from them RECENTLY for about $10, and fashionable. But I guess I could be out of touch or don't really know where to shop for stylish tall women's clothes in 2018 that won't fall apart after the first washing.

And as a tall, "fat" woman (size 12), I HATE Target's clothes. And as I've said, I don't like Kohl's. And it's very hard to find tall women's clothes at Macy's.

Last edited by grneyedmustang; Yesterday at 12:19 AM..

Old Yesterday, 12:51 AM

Our JCP e.g. in the Northridge Mall (Northridge, CA) is a very nice looking store in a very nice mall. But a pig wearing a mink coat is still a sow. The place is nice looking but by the time you factor in leasing footage at a major mall you have to raise the prices until it's just not a good deal to shop there. (But I sure love people watching at the mall. )

I don't know whether the more affordable competing stores lease or own but if they lease it, it's footage that costs less than mall footage. And thus: lower prices.

If you visit JCP in Northridge you'll see a beautiful store, but the prices suck. I hadda laugh when I looked at their jewelry prices. Um, go to a pawn shop? (Believe it or not, smart people buy jewelry at pawn shops. You probably pay 1/3 of mall prices. PPL, gold is gold! Mall gold is 3x pawn shop gold. The other 2/3 is for 'nobody else ever worn it,' and to pay mall rent for retailers.)

All my jewelry is in excellent condition and 95% of the good stuff came from the pawn shop I invested in. But somebody else wore it before I did.

Old Yesterday, 05:21 AM

530 posts, read 137,893 times
The past couple of generations shopped specialty shops...Discounter...the traditional Department Store model is dated. Sadly. I have fond memories of my mom taking us shopping for school clothes at Sears and Penneys. We loved looking at their catalogs too. I am guilty of not shopping at either . It makes me sad when I do stroll through. My mom is no longer with us and it brings back memories of a time gone by.

Old Yesterday, 05:36 AM

20,242 posts, read 28,388,855 times
I don't get the JCPenney's hate either. As a guy over 50 I have been very put off by the other "options" like Macy's, Kohl's, Dillards and discounters like TJ Maxx and Ross who have downsized their Mens departments into corners of the store with little selection for average to heavier guys over 40...or anyone for that matter. Most everything is "athletic cut" and very clearly targeted toward Millennials unless you're into looking like a walking logo with brands like Polo or Tommy Hilfiger. JCPenney has managed to not only nail the average guy demographic in terms of merchandise that includes quality brands like Dockers, Van Heusen, Cubavera, Levis and Columbia plus a fairly nice store brand (St John's Bay), but also JCP has also caught onto the notion that a wide range of sizes (IN STOCK) keeps customers coming back. People need to get over their inaccurate illusions and pay a visit versus perpetuating a stereotype.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or