U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 09:07 AM

4,687 posts, read 7,241,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I don't get the JCPenney's hate either. As a guy over 50 I have been very put off by the other "options" like Macy's, Kohl's, Dillards and discounters like TJ Maxx and Ross who have downsized their Mens departments into corners of the store with little selection for average to heavier guys over 40...or anyone for that matter. Most everything is "athletic cut" and very clearly targeted toward Millennials unless you're into looking like a walking logo with brands like Polo or Tommy Hilfiger. JCPenney has managed to not only nail the average guy demographic in terms of merchandise that includes quality brands like Dockers, Van Heusen, Cubavera, Levis and Columbia plus a fairly nice store brand (St John's Bay), but also JCP has also caught onto the notion that a wide range of sizes (IN STOCK) keeps customers coming back. People need to get over their inaccurate illusions and pay a visit versus perpetuating a stereotype.
Kohl's carries Van Heusen and IZOD which probably have more of the fits that you like, although I can understand your aversion to IZOD due to the "walking logo" issue. Another brand sold at Kohl's that you may want to consider are ARROW dress shirts.

As for Ross and T.J. Maxx, the problem is that they don't carry enough of men's size XXL clothing. I have actually had better luck at Stein Mart than I had at Ross/T.J. Maxx. Stein Mart is somewhat more upscale than T.J. Maxx and Ross and a lot more organized in their stores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 09:10 AM

506 posts, read 145,884 times
I like JCPenney fine. It's a lower-priced version of Macy's. With the hollowing out of the US middle class (JCP's target market), I'd say it's in trouble, but it's a societal issue that the chain will need to adapt to.

Old Yesterday, 09:14 AM

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río Porciúncula
14,091 posts, read 14,185,248 times
I don't hate JCP. I still walk their store when I'm at the Northridge CA mall. It's just their prices too high. I might pick up some briefs or socks if they aren't crowded. They always have checkout lines. Nice store though, other than products and price.

They are like Sears, but healthier. I think Sears must have higher operating costs.

I'm sure I could find a JCP website... But why?

Old Yesterday, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppiesandKittens View Post
I like JCPenney fine. It's a lower-priced version of Macy's. With the hollowing out of the US middle class (JCP's target market), I'd say it's in trouble, but it's a societal issue that the chain will need to adapt to.
Interestingly Kohl's seems to target the same market yet is doing fine. What has Kohl's done right that JCPenney has done wrong? More modern stores? Stores being located outside of malls?

Old Yesterday, 09:49 AM

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río Porciúncula
I guess all this stuff is local. Kohl's in L.A. is trashy, could be a reincarnation of K-Mart. JCP has nice but overpriced stores.

Old Yesterday, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I guess all this stuff is local. Kohl's in L.A. is trashy, could be a reincarnation of K-Mart. JCP has nice but overpriced stores.
Still, that doesn't change the fact that Kohl's is in much better financial shape than JCPenney.

Old Yesterday, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
Still, that doesn't change the fact that Kohl's is in much better financial shape than JCPenney.
I haven't researched that because neither one is in a market segment that interests me. I'm more into tech stocks.

Old Yesterday, 10:01 AM

506 posts, read 145,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
Interestingly Kohl's seems to target the same market yet is doing fine. What has Kohl's done right that JCPenney has done wrong? More modern stores? Stores being located outside of malls?
Didn't JCPenney's old CEO (Johnson) totally ruin the chain--with changes that caused its sales to drop by 1/3? I recall visiting JCPenney during those changes and found the merchandise and store layout to be wonderful, but then again I'm not JCPenney's target customer, and those changes drove off its target customers.

Kohl's didn't have that. Maybe having newer stores located outside of malls helps, and I think that Kohl's partnerships with Aldi and Amazon maybe help drive traffic.

Still, I like JCP fine for housewares and a pair of jeans.

Old Yesterday, 10:06 AM

73,049 posts, read 64,561,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
They have malls in San Francisco. There is a Westfield mall and the Stonestown Galleria, both of which have department stores.
Right, but Westfield didn't exist until 1991, and Stonestown is way the hell out there, almost in Daly City. Far from convenient to East Bay shoppers coming to the City to shop.

Old Yesterday, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppiesandKittens View Post
Kohl's didn't have that. Maybe having newer stores located outside of malls helps, and I think that Kohl's partnerships with Aldi and Amazon maybe help drive traffic.
My experience with Kohl's was a very, very old Kohl's store in Northridge, CA. Maybe I should give them another chance at my local Kohl's. I'll do that the next time I'm in the vicinity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or