U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 10:39 AM

18,137 posts, read 17,261,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I guess all this stuff is local. Kohl's in L.A. is trashy, could be a reincarnation of K-Mart. JCP has nice but overpriced stores.
I remember reading at one time that Kohl's paid its employees really poorly. In fact I more or less boycotted them for quite while after I read that. But there used to be a huge Kohl's near me and it had decent stuff.

Now the Kohl's near me is not as spacious and it's a dark hole in the wall place. As I said in a previous post, I love their collection of costume jewelry. If I want a pair of cheap earrings, Kohl's is the place--earrings get lost so no point in spending money on them. (I do have a few good pairs of earrings locked away that I hardly ever wear.) Their clothing is really cheaply made and for me, it doesn't fit right.

Kohl's is also good for kid's toys and clothing. Another thing, they have a senior discount day once a week--that means buying pierced earrings for the granddaughter or T shirts for the grandsons--that sort of thing. And when I buy earrings for her, they come in a nice gift box--not on a plastic hanger.

So I use Kohl's as my version of Walmart (a place that I cannot tolerate) and Penney's? Used to be pretty good for purses and wallets because they would have the name brands but the low end model. These days, my purses come from the thrift store where I can get a high end brand for $10 as opposed to paying a lot for some cheap fall-apart thing.

I think Penney's used to ape the fancy department stores but they always fell short. With Kohl's, it is what it is. It's a low end, poor quality store with cheap prices. More pleasant to shop in than Walmart though.

Old Yesterday, 10:50 AM

88 posts, read 40,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
Interestingly Kohl's seems to target the same market yet is doing fine. What has Kohl's done right that JCPenney has done wrong? More modern stores? Stores being located outside of malls?
I don't think we can generalize that being outside malls is better or vice versa. It really depends on the mall specifically.

In South Jersey close to Philly, JCPenney has two stores, one in Deptford Mall and the other in Cherry Hill Mall. These malls are actually healthy malls and JCPenney has a more visible, accessible location than the nearby Kohl's.

However, Kohl's has stores in towns like Marlton, Voorhees and Burlington that are over 10 miles away and is able to capture shoppers outside the Cherry Hill and Deptford immediate areas. So, you can say that Kohl's has a better strategy overall, but in Cherry Hill and Deptford areas specifically, JCPenney is in a better position.

A lot of the very high rent malls: JCPenney has already pulled out. At King of Prussia Mall, the premier mall in the Philly market, after JCPenney's lease expired, it didn't renew (as it was likely too high rent). In Southeast PA, it left JCPenney with sparse coverage. JCPenney has just has two stores, one in Montgomery and the other in Oxford Valley, while Kohl's has a high number of stores. Those malls are B+ malls, but still decent enough. But Kohl's has the advantage of better coverage throughout the market.

It's not like Kohl's is their only competitor, though, and site location is JCP's biggest issue. But, I suppose high rent in certain malls in the past likely cut into it's profitability, while Kohl's avoided high rent in most situations. JCPenney still operates in some now ghetto/dead malls, but it might actually do fine (in some cases) with less competition from in line tenants. But it depends on the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 03:39 PM

97 posts, read 33,680 times
Kohl's is worse than JCP, IMO. I don't shop much, but JCP has what I need for basics. If I need nicer stuff for weddings, etc., I head to Chico's or Talbots.

The things I dislike most about JCP is the crowding of the stores and lack of personnel. Also, most of their clothing is imported, cheaply made, and consists of bulletproof polyester; sadly, that seems to be the way of the textile industry today.

Old Yesterday, 04:34 PM

4,693 posts, read 7,241,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldPuss View Post
Kohl's is worse than JCP, IMO. I don't shop much, but JCP has what I need for basics. If I need nicer stuff for weddings, etc., I head to Chico's or Talbots.

The things I dislike most about JCP is the crowding of the stores and lack of personnel. Also, most of their clothing is imported, cheaply made, and consists of bulletproof polyester; sadly, that seems to be the way of the textile industry today.
There seems to be a change in attitude towards polyester than in the past. Polyester can bring some desirable features such as wrinkle resistance and moisture wicking capability. My cotton/poly blend polo shirts are much less prone to wrinkles than my 100% cotton polos. The only 100% cotton polos I pretty much buy now are interlock polos; my pique polos I buy the cotton/poly blends with moisture wicking fabric.

Old Yesterday, 06:13 PM

4,773 posts, read 1,193,001 times
TJ MAxx, Kohls, Target, eBay, and Burlington Coat factory have completely undermined the JC Penny, Sears, Macys (macys had to close alot of stores) of America and it's hurting badly.

You don't have to pay full retail price for anything anymore so long as you know where to shop and look

Old Yesterday, 09:20 PM

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río Porciúncula
14,113 posts, read 14,185,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldPuss View Post
That's Penney's in Northridge, CA. Very nice location at the Northridge mall, very nice mall (upscale neighborhood), probably keep that store open as long as they have a positive cash flow. I just cannot conceive of waiting 10-15 minutes in a line to give them enough of my money to not be charged with shoplifting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
TJ MAxx, Kohls, Target, eBay, and Burlington Coat factory have completely undermined the JC Penny, Sears, Macys (macys had to close alot of stores) of America and it's hurting badly.

You don't have to pay full retail price for anything anymore so long as you know where to shop and look
I'd buy my briefs at JCP if they weren't so far away. I'm not even in the SFV any more. Like I'd drive 45 minutes to shop there? I'd go there only if I happen to find myself in Northridge for other reasons and had time to kill.

That mall is very nice for people watching.

I don't live in City of LA anymore, I live in County. One less level of gummint to deal with.

What do you call 100 politicians dead at the bottom of a lake?

Spoiler
A good start!

Old Yesterday, 09:26 PM

51,538 posts, read 50,770,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I don't hate JCP. I still walk their store when I'm at the Northridge CA mall. It's just their prices too high. I might pick up some briefs or socks if they aren't crowded. They always have checkout lines. Nice store though, other than products and price.

They are like Sears, but healthier. I think Sears must have higher operating costs.

I'm sure I could find a JCP website... But why?
I already explained. If you were a tall woman you would know why!

I rarely go to the actual store, although I have for a few times. But the mall where it is will be redeveloped, and I think the JCP is going to go. The redevelopment has been on hold because the property owner's father-in-law was elected President of the United States and he took off for DC. LOL, that's not the only reason. There was some pushback from area residents because of traffic fears. But it looks as if the redevelopment is going forward, and I don't think JCP is going to survive.

Old Yesterday, 11:25 PM

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río Porciúncula
14,113 posts, read 14,185,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I already explained. If you were a tall woman you would know why!

I rarely go to the actual store, although I have for a few times. But the mall where it is will be redeveloped, and I think the JCP is going to go. The redevelopment has been on hold because the property owner's father-in-law was elected President of the United States and he took off for DC. LOL, that's not the only reason. There was some pushback from area residents because of traffic fears. But it looks as if the redevelopment is going forward, and I don't think JCP is going to survive.
Hey Queenie, I'm legally changing my height to 6'-2" so I can connect with you. I'll send ya a PM so we can make arrangements!

Yeah, that will totally happen.

Old Yesterday, 11:28 PM

2,942 posts, read 1,207,784 times
My wife gets her hair done th j p. My and the boys get the Levi's, khakis,undies ,the occasional blue suit.

The price is always right, and my wife could buy without feeling guilty.

Old Today, 12:46 AM

6,071 posts, read 6,564,390 times
So many excellent comments and analysis that hit the nail on the head.
For a myriad of reasons JCP (and Sears) haven't stayed relevant. Period. Poor management, poor decisions, not reacting to changing tides in a number of areas (shopping and fashion trends being just two). But they're not the only retailers this has happened to (Silo's, Circuit City, Radio Shack, Hechingers, Woolworth's, Montgomery Ward, and on and on)

I don't know whether management was in some ivory tower and oblivious, or given societal changes , whether ANYTHING it could have done would have worked. The U.S. market (consumer) isn't the 1950s and 60's housewife anymore.

So many people want cheaper prices, and don't mind if that means cheaper quality, that I don't know if there's room for the old model national department store -- and certainly not so many of them. I know one can argue that Macy's, Dillards, Nordstrom, Neiman, Saks, Lord & Taylor, etc -- are NOT going for the same customer. And that's true. But they're still old model department stores. And how many of them do we really need -- at each price level?

Do we really need especially in a brick and mortar format -- Kohl's and JCP, AND Macys, (in some parts of the country) AND Dillards, AND Roses, AND Walmart, AND Target, -- AND TJMaxx, AND Ross, AND Marshall's, AND Stein Mart -- AND all the niche AND specific stand alone brand stores we have around? (Talbots, Chicos, Torrid, H&M, Zara, Dress Barn, ad infinitum)

Personally, I hate shopping for anything -- especially clothing -- online. But young people don't think twice about it. And with them being so price and trend focused, I don't think they're even thinking about JCP, Sears, and even Macy's. They're PARENTS may take them to Macy's to buy something, get something for an occasion. But I don't think those 30 and younger are even thinking on their own accord to go to Macy's. So Macy's had better get on the stick so it doesn't eventually get into real trouble.

I'm fascinated by what I call business biographies, and the behind the scenes machinations of businesses and industries. The strategic successes and failures of businesses. WHY and HOW some survive and others don't -- from computers and cosmetics -- to discount and home improvement -- is really interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or