U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2018, 11:18 AM

74,740 posts, read 66,439,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Haha, you mean Macy's Day Parade.

Macy's in L.A. is quite nice, but overpriced. Shop at Macy's, order at Amazon.
"Overpriced"?! Macy's is the LAST place I'd think of, to call "overpriced". You do realize, don't you, that it's pretty routine, to be able to buy their stuff at huge discounts? Even 40-50% off is not unusual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2018, 11:24 AM

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río Porciúncula
14,520 posts, read 14,618,642 times
I don't shop frequently enough at the mall to get most sales, but I'm an opportunistic shopper when I see sales. I haven't been inside Macy's since the last holiday season. My impressions are from their every day prices.

Actually I hate sales. I wish all stores could just have fair, competitive prices year 'round.

Old 11-11-2018, 11:44 AM

400 posts, read 122,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
"Overpriced"?! Macy's is the LAST place I'd think of, to call "overpriced". You do realize, don't you, that it's pretty routine, to be able to buy their stuff at huge discounts? Even 40-50% off is not unusual.
The Macy's nearest me is a smaller one in a small shopping center...this shopping center is like a long strip center that at the end forms a L ...and the L is Macy's...so it gives the appearance to be alone...like a free standing store...

And you're right as it always has good discounts and this specific store has survived being placed on the closing list....and is always well staffed with a friendly and knowledgeable employees...kinda like a throw back to enjoyable shopping.

Their google reviews

https://www.google.com/search?source...3e64ecf27f38,1,,,

And their store closing list

https://www.thebalancesmb.com/macys-...osings-2892434

Old 11-11-2018, 12:22 PM

27,080 posts, read 28,742,199 times
Quote:
Ah, but you are just wrong in your assumptions. I order about 100 orders/year so I kind of know them well. I've been a member since 2005, and Prime for several years.

Even though Prime, Prime Wardrobe comes in one box and takes about a week shipping. It has to arrive in one box because your 7 day return period starts the day you receive the shipment. Shipping is free both directions. No charge until you tell them what you are sending back. No charge at all if you didn't like anything. The only chore is re-packing the items. I already have everything but one pair of Uggs repacked.

What do you mean "wastes packaging?" If I keep it I recycle it. If I return it they recycle it. Again, it doesn't work unless everything arrives in one box. That's when your 7 day trial period begins.

Not to be unkind, but I think you are rushing to assumptions that you do not know are true. I'm sure I'll try Amazon Wardrobe again, maybe to get a smaller CK t-shirt, one that fits. There's a 3 item minimum. I saw some briefs I forgot to add so all I need is one more item and I can do a second trial of this new Amazon service. I plan to start a topic when I have enough take.
I buy some things at Amazon, rarely clothing. I recently purchased some dresses and they came in a giant box with the air bubbles. It could have come in an envelope.

Amazon’s sure lacks the ability to discover stuff. There isn’t really a way to window shop or contextualize the items. I like the concept of lookbooks. You need to start with cotton black t-shirt and somehow narrow down 2000 choices.

Search is also terrible. For example I was loooking for leggings for my printed Halloween costume. There were 1000 results. Most didn’t have my size and I couldn’t filter for that. Many had shipping dates after Halloween. I tried to narrow for things like workout pants, but many of the results were solid colors.

It was super frustrating.

I thought about trying prime wardrobe but couldn’t find enough stuff. It was a pretty annoying experience. Amazon is not America’s next great clothing shop.

When you go to department store it is organized by brand or theme. Really great stores mix in accessories and everything you need to complete the outfit - at least in the display. Amazon has none of that.

Old 11-11-2018, 12:32 PM

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río Porciúncula
You haven't discovered how to use the correct search terms. Be specific as you can. It's just like Google.

Wait until Amazon gets those brick and mortar stores. But no, they aren't going to replace major clothing retailers. So far my experience with Amazon Wardrobe is good. I intend to ship the return stuff on Tuesday.

Amazon isn't the be all, end all. It's just another option. I bought some Ugg boots locally that I really liked. I liked them so much I bought a second pair on Amazon for 10% less, and that was before my Amazon Prime Visa 5% cash rewards was applied. Plus I didn't have to spend 90 minutes to drive back to the brick and mortar store which is not very near me.

Amazon Prime Wardrobe isn't intended to supplant brick and mortar stores. It's intended to augment them.

Old 11-11-2018, 01:53 PM

27,080 posts, read 28,742,199 times
Quote:
You haven't discovered how to use the correct search terms. Be specific as you can. It's just like Google.

Wait until Amazon gets those brick and mortar stores. But no, they aren't going to replace major clothing retailers. So far my experience with Amazon Wardrobe is good. I intend to ship the return stuff on Tuesday.

Amazon isn't the be all, end all. It's just another option. I bought some Ugg boots locally that I really liked. I liked them so much I bought a second pair on Amazon for 10% less, and that was before my Amazon Prime Visa 5% cash rewards was applied. Plus I didn't have to spend 90 minutes to drive back to the brick and mortar store which is not very near me.

Amazon Prime Wardrobe isn't intended to supplant brick and mortar stores. It's intended to augment them.
This is why online shopping doesn’t work, it eliminates the window shopping part. Where malls and brick and mortar excel is helping you find what you didn’t know you wanted. When I am clothing shilopping, I’m looking to evoke a mood or feeling. You can’t search on Amazon for “interesting party dress” and expect to find what you want.

Old 11-11-2018, 02:16 PM

6,401 posts, read 6,788,362 times
Quote:
Actually I hate sales. I wish all stores could just have fair, competitive prices year 'round.
Well, that suuure didn't work for JCP. That's what it tried to do. It was almost the nail in their coffin!

Department store shoppers are just TOOO addicted to sales (coupons and discounts). It's their crack. (no offense)

Old 11-11-2018, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
This is why online shopping doesn’t work, it eliminates the window shopping part. Where malls and brick and mortar excel is helping you find what you didn’t know you wanted. When I am clothing shilopping, I’m looking to evoke a mood or feeling. You can’t search on Amazon for “interesting party dress” and expect to find what you want.
That's a bad search. Try adding the brand and more info. I would expect to get dozens of pages of results with such loosely worded search terms.

As I said, it isn't to replace in person shopping. It's meant to complement that. If you already know what you want (like my Ugg boots) then order from Amazon and save money.

Old 11-11-2018, 02:56 PM

6,401 posts, read 6,788,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
By all means, share any info you've gleaned from reading biz biographies.
Check your direct messages.

Old 11-11-2018, 08:20 PM

4,707 posts, read 7,720,992 times
I personally like JCPenney nowadays better than I have about several to 10+ yrs ago. Their prices are good & their style has improved. I've bought a good amount of clothing from them throughout the yrs. They have a pretty good amount of coupons to use too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or