Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2018, 12:53 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,023,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Penny's actually had plans to expand, and to buy up other retail locations, when Mervyn's and another chain closed, but after that, the market changed so much, with brick-and-mortar losing favor, that they scrapped the project. IDK, probably the 2008 loan crisis and subsequent Great Recession took the wind out of their sails.
Target and Walmart have pretty good websites. (Not as good as Amazon by any means.) I'm sure Penney has a website but why bother? I have two Penny stores near me and I sometimes wander through when I'm a-malling. I think I bought a wallet from them in December. Their stock is always messed up, like right item but not in my size, right size but not to my taste. And jeans? Forget that price! They used to have good prices on jeans but those days are gone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2018, 01:31 PM

1,374 posts, read 2,093,614 times
JC Penney (at least the ones near me) are so old and run down. The dressing rooms are dark, dusty and dirty and it's impossible to find a check out register, or when you do, you stand there for 15 minutes. And their returns SUCK too..you can't do returns at the regular registers.
I'll go to Target any day of the week for the ease of it all.

Old 11-09-2018, 01:47 PM

4,170 posts, read 6,857,298 times
for my SO other and I, they just don't carry the kinds of clothes in the quality and fits we want in enough quantity to even justify the out of the way trip to look at their store.

I wouldnt say we have an overly negative reputation, but we are just both indifferent and they are not on our radar.

Old 11-09-2018, 01:47 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,023,173 times
Are you in a small city. I'm in the big bad city (LA) and our JCP are okay except for often long waiting lines. That's not a problem for me because I hardly ever buy stuff there.

Walmart has a bit lower class of clientele. Target is nicer than Walmart but Walmart often as better prices. I like their cheap clothing for cheap applications, like sweat pants. It's a total cost of ownership thing. I just toss the sweats when they tear or lose the stitching. Not worth fixing even though I sew (if I have to).

Old 11-09-2018, 03:05 PM

7,967 posts, read 7,319,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post

So, why does JCPenney tend to have a negative reputation among fashion forums?

Because that's where Mom shops.

Old 11-09-2018, 03:17 PM

102,086 posts, read 107,163,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crd08 View Post
I never really go to JCP because I never really go to a mall. The mall's around here are dead.
Interesting. In my home town, they're not in a mall; they're in a regular store space on the street, downtown. That's how a lot of department stores are in San Francisco, too; Macy's is on the street downtown, along with other big department stores; Nordstrom's, Nieman Marcus, etc. I'd never seen a mall until I moved to Seattle. lol

Old 11-09-2018, 03:44 PM

1,428 posts, read 1,396,323 times
I love JCP.

I don’t buy all my clothes there because I find some are poor quality. I go for the Lee jeans and loungewear. I get my son’s Pjs from there. They are also great for bras. I also buy housewares from there as well. They used to have a nice selection of handbags, but these days they’re slim pickings.

They have really good sales. Mine has a Sephora’s where I get my makeup from.

And I love the ship to store when I shop online.

Old 11-09-2018, 03:50 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,291,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
And what makes Chaps better than IZOD which both stores carry? Both brands compete in the same price range. And RL used to offer the similar American Living line for JCPenney, however, it just couldn't drive the sales that Chaps and IZOD pull.
American Living also exposed RL for a niche brand that they did not need, as it was easier to simplify the brands under house and licensee, since RL controls their licensees fairly tightly. Chaps also has established itself as a full line retail brand, with sportswear for women, including casual dresses to work appropriate attire, benefiting from the design focus of the main line RL brands that are filtered through the collections. It's clothing, but the roots are fashion.

IZOD lost its design language and focus when Lacoste stopped the licensing agreement in the 1990s. Lacoste then reintroduced the brand to the US market on its own, focusing on upscale sportswear, whereas IZOD attempted to compete with a crowded brand marketplace, inspired by the much older Lacoste collections, but manufactured. IZOD does not have a fashion focus, and just manufactures clothes that are based upon prevailing price points and standard designs. Differences from various seasons are in patterns and colors, but the underlying design of the garments produced do not change, which is different from a fashion-oriented brand that does feature new designs and fabrics, even if the company has some stalwarts, i.e., RL's polo shirts and rugby shirts that are clothing, but the Purple Label is fashion.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 11-09-2018, 04:18 PM

468 posts, read 352,658 times
Their stock is currently under $2.00 and has been on a long decline due to lack of consistent leadership and pissing off some of their most loyal customers from years back....they would like to close mores stores but in areas where the malls are suffering ( such as what crd08 has said has happened near her a few posts prior ) the mall owners are in such desperate need for cash that they will not allow current tenants out of their leases....

This article hits the nail on the head in my opinion.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/27/busin...ory/index.html

Edit: To add screenshot of Penney's stock price....was at one time $82.00 per share in March of 2007 and is today at $1.34
Attached Thumbnails
Why does JCPenney have such a negative reputation?-jcp.png  

Last edited by NY 915; 11-09-2018 at 04:43 PM..

Old 11-09-2018, 04:23 PM

15,546 posts, read 11,943,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Interesting. In my home town, they're not in a mall; they're in a regular store space on the street, downtown. That's how a lot of department stores are in San Francisco, too; Macy's is on the street downtown, along with other big department stores; Nordstrom's, Nieman Marcus, etc. I'd never seen a mall until I moved to Seattle. lol
They have malls in San Francisco. There is a Westfield mall and the Stonestown Galleria, both of which have department stores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty