Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 03:33 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,336,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nearwest View Post
I haven't been in a Penney's store in over a year. About 10 years ago, Penney's struck a deal with Ralph Lauren to create a line for its stores. It was a separate area in Penney's stores and was called 'American Living.' From what I can recall, much of the merchandise was designed to be a Polo clone. Is this merchandise still available at Penney's?
No, it is no longer available. In fact, I think once the line was discontinued IZOD took over much of the shelf space occupied by American Living. You can find the comparable Chaps line at Kohl's, Belk, and Amazon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2019, 07:44 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,483,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
I was wondering, but it seems like on many fashion forums JCPenney tends to have a negative reputation. This is what is hurting them with sales. It seems that many people actually prefer to buy their clothes at Target over JCPenney, even though JCPenney is more upscale than Target (about on the same level as Kohl's and slightly above Sears).

So, why does JCPenney tend to have a negative reputation among fashion forums?
I was in JC Pennys yesterday to pick up a 120 dollar coffeemaker. I couldn't find any sales people anywhere. I carried that damn thing around all over the store until I found a register that was occupied...in the "junior" department....
I hate shopping in department store for this reason.
I would have bought it online but I needed it within the hour so that wasn't an option.

Old 01-09-2019, 07:57 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I was in JC Pennys yesterday to pick up a 120 dollar coffeemaker. I couldn't find any sales people anywhere. I carried that damn thing around all over the store until I found a register that was occupied...in the "junior" department....
I would have bought it online but I needed it within the hour so that wasn't an option.
The same thing happens at the JC Penney I go to. Christmastime I bought kids clothes for a charity I participate in. Walked all over the store looking for a place to pay for them.

Old 01-09-2019, 08:40 AM

5,118 posts, read 3,417,131 times
There's still a multi-level JCP at our nearest indoor mall, but it's not an inviting place at all. The mall itself is fine, it looks nice, has upscale stores, and is doing well. But the JCP looks like it's forgotten. When you walk it, you're met with escalators but unlike Macy's or Nordstrom, there is no signage telling you what departments are on what floors. You have to walk around all the floors hunting for your department. And the last time I was there, there were no employees in sight to ask.

Old 01-09-2019, 09:21 AM

50,371 posts, read 63,964,084 times
Forty or fifty years ago, when I was a young homemaker, and the kids were little. Penney’s was one of my main sources for home decor and basic clothing for the kids...so was Sears. Penney’s was, and still may be, one of the best sources of curtains, rods and drapes.

I think the last piece of clothing I bought there was Lee jeans online. They had good old fashioned, non stretch straight leg, tall jeans that were very inexpensive. I haven’t been inside a JCP store for years.

I think there are so many choices now, that I forget about Penney’s. They don’t seem to advertise much.

I don’t like Kohl’s or Target much. Kohl’s is a mishmash of clearance racks that I have no patience to wade through, and Target has no clothing i like. I do go there once in awhile for things like dishtowels or other housewares, and they had a pretty good toy section before Christmas.

Old 01-09-2019, 10:19 AM

468 posts, read 356,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Forty or fifty years ago, when I was a young homemaker, and the kids were little. Penney’s was one of my main sources for home decor and basic clothing for the kids...so was Sears

A look back at the reign of Sears

https://www.nydailynews.com/life-sty...togallery.html

Old 01-10-2019, 11:09 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,815,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Yes, my wife and I went to pick up a low cost yet descent long sleeve to toss in the mail last minute (gift package to a relative). We were walking around trying to find a cashier, found one by noticing the long line. Waited about 20 minutes in line, it was ridiculous.

Never again, hell with that. I told my wife either order online, or pay more at Banana Republic, Macy's or someone, I hate waiting in line like that, I hate walking around looking for a cashier.

Old 01-20-2019, 01:50 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Yes, my wife and I went to pick up a low cost yet descent long sleeve to toss in the mail last minute (gift package to a relative). We were walking around trying to find a cashier, found one by noticing the long line. Waited about 20 minutes in line, it was ridiculous.

Never again, hell with that. I told my wife either order online, or pay more at Banana Republic, Macy's or someone, I hate waiting in line like that, I hate walking around looking for a cashier.
Yes, remember this line from long-ago shopping days: "Can I help you?"

Old 01-21-2019, 09:15 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,935,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nearwest View Post
I haven't been in a Penney's store in over a year. About 10 years ago, Penney's struck a deal with Ralph Lauren to create a line for its stores. It was a separate area in Penney's stores and was called 'American Living.' From what I can recall, much of the merchandise was designed to be a Polo clone. Is this merchandise still available at Penney's?
I don't quite understand why JC Penney would need to go to Ralph Lauren when it had a respectable inhouse brand in St. John's Bay. Hunt Club was another inhouse brand, which I believe, preceded St. John's Bay. Both inhouse brands produced what I thought were quality, traditional-style clothing. Both American Living and Foundry turned me off to JC Penney.

Old 01-22-2019, 05:45 AM

7,327 posts, read 12,336,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2MDdude View Post
I don't quite understand why JC Penney would need to go to Ralph Lauren when it had a respectable inhouse brand in St. John's Bay. Hunt Club was another inhouse brand, which I believe, preceded St. John's Bay. Both inhouse brands produced what I thought were quality, traditional-style clothing. Both American Living and Foundry turned me off to JC Penney.
Well, Kohl's does have the comparable Chaps brand, and perhaps JCPenney wanted to better compete with Kohl's. I don't think St. John's Bay is a fair comparison with American Living, a more comparable brand that JCPenney already sold was IZOD. In fact once American Living was discontinued JCPenney increased their IZOD selection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty