Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2018, 07:44 PM

1,879 posts, read 1,552,729 times

Advertisements

Certain stores such as Target or Macy's have celebrity clothing exclusives or certain brand names. JCPenny doesn’t have that, but I’ve always had a soft spot for them. I just think people think of them as a bit too old school and behind the times. Hopefully they can turn it around because they do have some good sales. They had Dockers pants for 4 dollars one time. My husband bought 10 lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2018, 09:13 PM

340 posts, read 376,383 times
I'm not reading all of this, but the $10 off of $10 coupons from JCPenney is the absolute best thing going...I'm not talking about 1x a year, we are talking 1 $10 off $10 coupon every month, maybe more often sometimes. I use them for my baby clothes every time...just bought my kid a Carters 3 piece set on sale for $12.99 down from $26, applied the coupon, $3.17 after tax. Long live JCPenney!

Old 11-12-2018, 05:31 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,299,568 times
I feel JCP is better than Target or Kohl's mainly because they have a petite section where Target doesn't and Kohl's petite section is barely more than a few racks with matronly looking clothing. The only thing I buy at Penney's is workout wear and occasionally bras or panties. Kohl's has a great selection of workout wear but unfortunately everything is way too long. Their tops look like a dress on me and I have rarely found anything there that works for me. The only thing I have purchased for myself there is a denim jacket.

I won't buy clothes online unless I have purchased the same thing in a brick & mortar store because I hate having to send things back which happens with almost everything I buy with the exception of Dillard's.

Old 11-12-2018, 06:57 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I feel JCP is better than Target or Kohl's mainly because they have a petite section where Target doesn't and Kohl's petite section is barely more than a few racks with matronly looking clothing. The only thing I buy at Penney's is workout wear and occasionally bras or panties. Kohl's has a great selection of workout wear but unfortunately everything is way too long. Their tops look like a dress on me and I have rarely found anything there that works for me. The only thing I have purchased for myself there is a denim jacket.

I won't buy clothes online
unless I have purchased the same thing in a brick & mortar store because I hate having to send things back which happens with almost everything I buy with the exception of Dillard's.
Well, people like me have no choice but to buy certain things online, but that is interesting that I like JCP online because they are one of the few who have tall clothing, and you like them in the store because they have petites!

Old 11-12-2018, 09:50 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,109,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccernerd View Post
Certain stores such as Target or Macy's have celebrity clothing exclusives or certain brand names. JCPenny doesn’t have that, but I’ve always had a soft spot for them. I just think people think of them as a bit too old school and behind the times. Hopefully they can turn it around because they do have some good sales. They had Dockers pants for 4 dollars one time. My husband bought 10 lol.
I remember my mom taking me and sis to Penneys when I was a child. Woolworth too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Well, people like me have no choice but to buy certain things online, but that is interesting that I like JCP online because they are one of the few who have tall clothing, and you like them in the store because they have petites!
You are indeed mighty, our wonderful Queen!

Old 11-12-2018, 12:09 PM

7,642 posts, read 4,589,722 times
In our connected market, consumers live in fear of getting it wrong to other consumers. JCPenney is a store that carries specific categories, some of which have good brands and quality and some that aren't so great. This is now problematic because it requires judgement, and consumers have less and less all the time. Some of the stuff is fashionable and some is utilitarian. What if I get the two mixed up?

Now, that's not necessarily most customers, but it IS the customers that go to name brand boutiques and pay the highest margins.

One of the gifts I gave my groomsmen were Burrberry ties. Nobody called it a red tie, a skinny tie, a tie that looked good or bad on them. They all called them Burberry ties and were happy with them.

My wife got her bridesmaids little necklaces from Tiffany. Honestly I'm sure the same necklace could have been purchased for much less elsewhere, but then there's scrutiny...is it liked, is the quality good, is it real. Instead, the little teal box made everyone happy.

Penney's.....well they USUALLY have decent stuff, but they also try to discount sell out all of their stuff that nobody else wanted. Did I get a deal or did I get what everyone else was smart enough to pass on except me?

Who are you wearing today? JCPenneys...<ah.....silence>

They need to segregate what they do, narrow those ranges and rebrand. I'm not sure they'll have enough time to do it.

Old 11-12-2018, 12:19 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
Amazon is an interesting operation, but I would find it difficult to purchase, especially given the options available from some brands that I like that do not deal on the main site. However, given that Amazon owns Shopbop/East Dane, where there are designers represented, it is not unfathomable that the wardrobe experiment could be expanded to the subsidiary companies, even if the designers don't want to be on the main website. Part of the issue with the main Amazon website, I find, are fakes, which is the problem one has on eBay, less so on TheRealReal and other curated sites that have a mix of new and vintage.

The other main issue with Amazon for designers are the price floors, where certain items are not allowed to be sold for less than a certain amount, and/or are limited in the quantity an individual can purchase. It's not just a higher-end designer who wants to control this aspect, however, as it comes into play with a mainstream brand like Levi's where the jeans must not go below a certain floor at an authorized retailer. With that parameter established, it's the perks that brings in the customer, since Macy's, JC Penney, Sears, Nordstrom, Kohl's, etc. all sell the same basic jeans, around the same sales prices, but the merchandising and perks, like coupon cash for another purchase since they cannot discount below the price floor, as well as other options and the perception of the store. JC Penney has lost that battle, as Kohl's heavily markets and tweaks their customer loyalty bonuses, giving extra Kohl's Cash, that draws someone back to the store to spend it, etc.

It's also far less of a hassle to shop at a Kohl's than a JC Penney, as mentioned upthread. I have seen this myself, at an upscale mall in the DC area, where JC Penney has one register open, no salespersons to help on the floor, and associates who do not appear to be well trained in customer service. A similar experience at Kohl's, where there were a few people in line, and the general manager walked in from the outside. She immediately went to the nearest sales desk, called someone who made an announcement for staff to come to the register, and then proceeded to open a register and assist customers with a pleasant attitude and apologized for the wait, which was not long at all. I was buying a batch of novelty graphic t-shirts for one of my nieces for her party and they were missing a couple of sizes; rather then sending me on my way without them, she walked me to their kiosk and helped me locate them in another store. She then called the other store and made sure that they were in stock and that they would be on hold for me, since I could not wait for delivery. That's excellent customer service, and I was pleasantly surprised at how much time and care she took to help me track down the few Snoopy t-shirts that I needed. She also did not hand me off to an associate which would have been acceptable, but followed through, even though she likely had other things to do in the back office. That would never happen at JC Penney for a couple of reasons, not having staff, and inventory management not as accessible to the consumer and associates as Kohl's has implemented with its kiosks. I would not say that Kohl's is overstaffed, either, as it's not like shopping at Nordstrom or Neiman-Marcus where there are associates nearby at all times, but the staff are easily deployed to assist customers in various areas of the store, something with which Target also excels.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 01-04-2019, 02:46 PM

884 posts, read 622,450 times
I haven't been in a Penney's store in over a year. About 10 years ago, Penney's struck a deal with Ralph Lauren to create a line for its stores. It was a separate area in Penney's stores and was called 'American Living.' From what I can recall, much of the merchandise was designed to be a Polo clone. Is this merchandise still available at Penney's?

Old 01-04-2019, 02:51 PM

2,305 posts, read 2,407,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nearwest View Post
I haven't been in a Penney's store in over a year. About 10 years ago, Penney's struck a deal with Ralph Lauren to create a line for its stores. It was a separate area in Penney's stores and was called 'American Living.' From what I can recall, much of the merchandise was designed to be a Polo clone. Is this merchandise still available at Penney's?
Sears did the same thing with Land's End. I think Martha Stewart was the first when she had an agreement to do a direct line for Kmart.

Old 01-04-2019, 03:07 PM

5,118 posts, read 3,412,706 times
I liked JCP when it was a large multi-storied department store. When it downsized to one floor, there was no longer any variety for me as a woman shopper. My husband continued to buy the Stafford tall shirts that he loved online and they were half the price of similar shirts at Nordstrom, but the only thing I would go in the store for was to try on bras. The housewares and linen departments became so small that they were pitiful. Our local store is is fairly new and decent looking, but when they got rid of half of the linens department recently to start selling appliances, that was the last straw. There are maybe two racks of purses, a tiny shoe department, and hardly any area rugs and pillows, something I would always go to this store for. it seems like Sephora is half the store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty