U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 07:08 AM

420 posts, read 102,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
Department stores are not doing so well here in Australia either. This is despite our rate of internet shopping overall being quite low. Also the Made in China issue is not an issue here as almost everything we buy is made in China or elsewhere. Unfortunately our manufacturing industry has disappeared over many years.
When I want to buy something I do a Search on "(item) made in the USA". My last 3 purchases of clothing were made in the USA. They were more expensive than Wal-Mart but not crazy expensive. My backpack was also made in the USA. You may have similar success looking for products made in Australia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 07:24 AM

13,180 posts, read 17,732,715 times
we have a lovely independent local store here called hammericks and I love them and their selection on clothing is wonderful and better prices than the internet they are in north Carolina too and I believe parts of Georgia . I love these stores also bealls in florida is wonderful too . But those are the only two I really shop at anymore because of their prices and their selection and the place is packed on Saturday .

Old Yesterday, 08:04 AM
Status: "A delicate snowflake with the vote of a wolverine." (set 6 days ago)

13,290 posts, read 7,476,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrell12 View Post
Actually it was Kmart thought bought Sears.
No. Sears bought Kmart, a very stupid decision that only hastened its demise. When a business is struggling, buying another struggling business will not save either of them.

Old Yesterday, 08:29 AM

562 posts, read 167,379 times
Pure and simple They have Poor Management , their websites need to be bug free and easy to navigate like Amazon, And they Aren't, Also they need top notch customer service like Amazon , At Amazon if there is ever a problem they not only correct it but they often compensate for the problem which rarely happens in my case...

Shipping needs to be done within 24hrs these days in order to remain competitive, Prices need to be the same as online,

AND YOU NEED TO REMAIN HONEST, THAT MEANS NO PRICE DROPPING OR SALES JUST BECAUSE YOU GOT A DEFECTIVE SHIPMENT OF CHINESE GOODS,

BEST BUY AND HOMEDEPOT PULLED THAT CRAP ON ME AND I been driving right on by them for 15 years, I got the lumber yard,I have electrical supply house And I have the WWW, Don't make me drive back to your store wasting my time and money when you knowingly dumped defective merchandise in your Customers

Your Done ! good luck

Old Yesterday, 08:36 AM

129 posts, read 58,440 times
Here's my take when it comes to shopping for clothes:

1) Poor customer service. Working in retail is no longer a career like it used to be in many stores. It has been years since I have come across a sales person that actually knew the line of clothing they were selling and the fit. Years ago, Sears was known for having people who worked specific departments and who had a good working knowledge of their product. Like someone said, it can be difficult to even find a person who can run the cash register. Don't get me started on what happens if the cash register can't tell the person running it how to make change for a cash sale.

2) The overall quality of clothing is poor unless you go with much better brands. I have had luck with J. Crew and Banana Republic, but not always.

3) It can be difficult to find age-appropriate clothing for both work and leisure.

Old Yesterday, 12:54 PM

8,695 posts, read 11,934,574 times
The success of Kohl's seems to contradict a lot of the reasons people have given here.

Old Yesterday, 01:19 PM

4,973 posts, read 2,587,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppiesandKittens View Post

So, in your view, why are department stores on the way out? I truly do not understand why.
Brick and Mortar stores are all on their way out. I can sit at home, click on lordandtaylor.com and put in exactly what I need--black dress, formal wear, knee length, petite--*poof* there they are. If I can't find anything at that site, I go to Nordstroms.com Going to a store, parking, getting through traffic, etc. Guess what--they are out of my size. Gets to my house in a couple of days (Nordstrom's is amazing--it only takes two days), try it on in the comfort of my home. If it doesn't work, pack it up and send it back. I only deal with stores with free shipping and returns.

I try every so often to support a brick and mortar store and most times it will disappoint me.

Old Yesterday, 01:53 PM

2,136 posts, read 810,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppiesandKittens View Post
The department store sector seems to be suffering more than other retailers. Why?

I can see why Sears is failing (it's outclassed by plenty of other chains that have nicer stores and wider variety), but chains like Dillard's and Lord & Taylor are wonderful: nice stores with nice-quality clothes and home furnishings, and great selection. I'd much rather go to Lord & Taylor and be able to pick from a wide range of nice-quality clothes all in one store, at a good price, than have to go to 10 different smaller stores. It's just more efficient to buy everything in one place.

My only issue with department stores is that so few of them are left in downtowns; you usually have to go to the mall to go to a department store, and I prefer not to shop in a mall (driving there, dealing with a big parking lot and a look-alike indoor environment).

So, in your view, why are department stores on the way out? I truly do not understand why.
On-line shopping is the culprit and the growing number of mega companies buying out smaller fish.

Old Yesterday, 02:12 PM

19,023 posts, read 12,596,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I agree that there are people who prefer to shop in stores, where they can try things on, ask questions of a helpful salesperson, and perhaps have additional merchandise pointed out, that they may have missed. Though stores have been cutting back on staff, I find it's still possible to hav e this type of experience from the better stores. Even at Macy's, it's not that hard to find help. I don't find online shopping convenient, because I end up sending a lot of items back, because the color IRL is different than on screen, the sizing is off, or quality turns out to be poor.

The advantage of Sears, IMO, is that it did carry quality brands in household appliances. Wal-Mart and Target just don't cut it, in that regard. I know a lot of people who depended on Sears for a quality vacuum cleaner, kitchen appliances, and the large kitchen appliances, like fridge and oven/stove. Now that Sears has closed, there's no place to get that stuff in my town; not the higher-quality brands.

However, I'm surprised the OP lists Dillard's as one of the better stores. Dillard's in my state is terrible! The OP's comment makes me wonder, if the buyers for the store make very different selections, dependent on what region of the country they're buying for. Dillard's in my area seems very out of touch, like from a different planet entirely, compared to Macy's and especially Nordstrom's and the better stores (which Lord & Taylor is supposed to be, so I'm mystified that Dillard's is placed in the same class....??)

Regarding the "poor management" comment, this is surprisingly true of some US department store chains. I knew someone, who worked for a couple of the dept. store chains, and they said the department supervisors have no training at all in retail, especially in managing inventory to maximize sales, and maintaining organized back storage rooms, not to mention--no training in sales analysis, which apparently is too much to expect. Most department or floor managers are therefore unmotivated. Oversight regarding these things only comes from regional managers, who show up periodically, in their tour of many stores throughout a region, and they offer no guidance to lower management and mid-level staff. To the rare staff person with an education in business management, it appears that these stores aren't serious about running a successful business. That's my "insider's perspective" report.
Dillards in smaller towns are different than Dillards in major cities. I shopped happily for many years in a couple of St. Louis area Dillards. Others in smaller towns I visited did not have the same breadth of merchandise. The Dillards I shopped at in Austin was amazing though. Even after six years, I still miss my store—even though I had trouble finding clothes there after losing weight. And the store I shopped at is gone.

Old Yesterday, 02:20 PM

8,695 posts, read 11,934,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
Brick and Mortar stores are all on their way out.
There would never be enough couriers to make up for the people who like to go shopping at brick and mortar stores. How are people going to try on lots of things? It's not free to have someone airship them back and forth to you just for you to try on and send back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or