U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 11-11-2018, 02:51 PM
 
9,367 posts, read 11,223,674 times
Reputation: 12568

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
No. Sears bought Kmart, a very stupid decision that only hastened its demise. When a business is struggling, buying another struggling business will not save either of them.
bad math for both stores AND Walmart smokes both of them with their inventory management
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-11-2018, 04:14 PM
 
8,420 posts, read 7,418,894 times
Reputation: 18337
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
While I agree on line is a part of it, I think a much bigger part is poor management -- poor quality product, poor service, and poor selection.

Got taken over by Harvard MBAs who understood finance, but not customers.

This was the major problem, Taking over both Sears and Kmart.

Sold cheap junk when Walmart was selling higher quality at the same or lower prices. Now Walmart is following in their footsteps being filled with cheap Chinese junk.
A huge percentage of all goods sold in department stores, is made in China or other countries with lower cost production costs, as it is a global market today, and people want lower prices, and they can no longer make a lot of things in this country, to sell at a price 90% of the population will pay.

Even the top clothing designers, do not make their clothes in the USA. The high priced lines are mostly made in Bangladesh. Even those through the roof designer clothing designers, cannot afford to have them made in the USA.

https://www.bizvibe.com/blog/leading...rs-bangladesh/

https://www.bizvibe.com/blog/banglad...manufacturing/

We import lower priced goods from other countries, and export higher value goods to those countries.

Remember, department stores, are going to stock what the people want, and what they are willing to pay.

It is happening again, as Lord and Taylor was sold to a property development firm.

https://www.search.com/index?q=Lord%...m&qo=web-index

Walmart, is taking over Lord and Taylor sales on it's On Line Sales site, so the higher end customers that shop at stores like Lord And Taylor, can buy through Walmart.

Remember Walmart is next behind Amazon as to on line sales, and is growing every day, with the intention of moving above Amazon.

Outside perishable groceries, small item needed for home repair from our small hardware or small building supply, we only shop on line. My wife and I are in our very late 80s, and it is so much easier to shop on line rather than drive 50 miles each way to the larger stores to do our shopping in stores. We have not been to out of town stores for over 5 years. On top of that, we save a lot of money this way. Two hours driving to another town round trip to shop, would be stupid when I can sit here at home and do it, and save money in the process.

And the families all over the nation, are doing just as we are doing. Department stores, are either going to have to have a big on line presence in the future, or they will be out of business.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2018, 06:46 PM
Status: "unhappy" (set 28 days ago)
 
47 posts, read 8,588 times
Reputation: 71
If you continue to shop the brands you like and you know how the sizing fits you, it's easier to order online. To me, browsing a mall through stores and stores is something I would only do, if I am extremely bored. That rarely happens.

Every once in a while I need something that is for a special occasion. Lots of times, I am disappointed at the selection and the quality. Online I can find the right size.

It seems the only stores worthwhile are the expensive ones. I avoid those because they are just that, expensive. End up going back online.

Another thing I have noticed, I can get sometimes a better deal for the exact same clothes at the retail's website. I go to the store, I try it on and if it fits, I buy it online. Gap seems to do this. I am puzzled as to why they do this.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2018, 06:54 PM
 
Location: Queen Creek, AZ
4,701 posts, read 7,246,345 times
Reputation: 2389
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
A huge percentage of all goods sold in department stores, is made in China or other countries with lower cost production costs, as it is a global market today, and people want lower prices, and they can no longer make a lot of things in this country, to sell at a price 90% of the population will pay.

Even the top clothing designers, do not make their clothes in the USA. The high priced lines are mostly made in Bangladesh. Even those through the roof designer clothing designers, cannot afford to have them made in the USA.
Most of my button-downs are made in Bangladesh. Most of my polo shirts on the other hand are made in India, with a few made in Kenya, Vietnam, Indonesia, or Egypt.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2018, 07:03 PM
 
Location: North West Arkansas (zone 6b)
2,501 posts, read 1,730,509 times
Reputation: 3311
lots of people blame amazon for killing department stores, but the reality is shopping online is much easier because you can search, read descriptions and comparison shop without spending all day to find what you want.

Add personal reviews and you get an incredibly improved shopping experience as well as greatly improved efficiency from not having to drive all over town to find something and a huge time saver because the rest of my day is now free to do other things.

Even expanded store hours can't beat online shopping with no lines, no rude people, and lots more choice right there in my hand while I watch TV next to the blazing fireplace.

who remembers those shopping catalog stores like service merchandise? even though they no longer exist, they were the precursor to online shopping and likely what ultimately killed retail.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2018, 08:09 PM
 
Location: America's Expensive Toilet
949 posts, read 649,950 times
Reputation: 1884
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverAng View Post
Well, a lot of times, department stores will not have all the colors in all the sizes, so why bother to waste time shopping there? Just go online, and get the right size in the right color, and it will magically appear at your door step in a couple of days.
I can relate to this statement. Last time I went to buy jeans (earlier this year), I went to Madewell for some high rise ones. I am slim, but they didn't carry my size in the style jean I wanted so I had to order them online anyway. Although I am happy I went into the store to try them on at least, even if I did have to try a different size to get an idea.

My usual issue is that department stores don't tend to carry styles I like. I dress modestly and like bold and colorful patterns. It seems many clothing for younger people is inappropriate for work settings and are boring colors or styles. It's easier for me to shop a variety of stores I trust online than to waste an afternoon in Macy's.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2018, 08:26 PM
 
Location: Queen Creek, AZ
4,701 posts, read 7,246,345 times
Reputation: 2389
Quote:
Originally Posted by likealady View Post
I can relate to this statement. Last time I went to buy jeans (earlier this year), I went to Madewell for some high rise ones. I am slim, but they didn't carry my size in the style jean I wanted so I had to order them online anyway. Although I am happy I went into the store to try them on at least, even if I did have to try a different size to get an idea.

My usual issue is that department stores don't tend to carry styles I like. I dress modestly and like bold and colorful patterns. It seems many clothing for younger people is inappropriate for work settings and are boring colors or styles. It's easier for me to shop a variety of stores I trust online than to waste an afternoon in Macy's.
Sometimes I do Ship to Store if the department store significantly beats Amazon's price and has the color available on their website. JCPenney has offered Ship to Store for years, and Kohl's just recently launched a similar program (although it is only available for select items with the latter).
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2018, 09:01 PM
 
8,699 posts, read 11,939,582 times
Reputation: 3143
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger256 View Post
lots of people blame amazon for killing department stores, but the reality is shopping online is much easier because you can search, read descriptions and comparison shop without spending all day to find what you want.

Add personal reviews and you get an incredibly improved shopping experience as well as greatly improved efficiency from not having to drive all over town to find something and a huge time saver because the rest of my day is now free to do other things.

Even expanded store hours can't beat online shopping with no lines, no rude people, and lots more choice right there in my hand while I watch TV next to the blazing fireplace.

who remembers those shopping catalog stores like service merchandise? even though they no longer exist, they were the precursor to online shopping and likely what ultimately killed retail.
They were brick and mortar stores.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2018, 11:21 PM
 
Location: North Taxolina
930 posts, read 824,417 times
Reputation: 1377
I don’t buy clothes online but I avoid going to department stores too. Same experience as others mentioned: my size or color is not in stock, styles are not appealing. I feel department stores just have no idea who their customers are and what they look for.

We have Macy’s, Belk (southern store chain), and Nordstrom in our mall. Macy’s has rows and rows of junk. Like Alfred Dunner or their own Charter Club brand. No one is ever browsing those sections. Ugly stuff. Higher end brands get sold out. Can never find my size (10-12).

Belk is full of “bohemian chic” wannabe rags and terribly stiff polyester clothing. It’s 100 degrees out in summer and you want me to wear a polyester dress? Then 3/4 sleeves in winter. Ugh.

For a working woman over 40 it’s impossible to find something comfortable but decent looking for the office. I no longer have cleavage for deep V-neck and am not interested showing off my bra straps with a boatneck. I’m also not into those depressing dirty purple and poop brown colors. Very much interested to know what are the buyers thinking. Every year I can tell exactly what will end up on clearance, it’s a no-brainer.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 12:52 AM
 
Location: Oakland, CA
26,921 posts, read 28,270,165 times
Reputation: 26108
I like the bricks to clicks trend - when online first brands open up a shop so you can see and try stuff on, but they don’t keep inventory so you order in store and buy online.

It takes away some of the fear of online shopping.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top