Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 03:36 PM

11,936 posts, read 12,997,443 times

Advertisements

I would go patterned. Sheer black seems so old fashioned to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2018, 05:24 AM

3,972 posts, read 8,104,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Actually when I looked at the links for the stockings posted, it brought me back to 1967 when I graduated from high school. I had all 3 of those patterns and modeled them in a pic for the school paper. I find the patterns retro and think they would be better with short wool skirts and casual attire to go to a coffee house or a date to the movies and dinner etc. Go sheer black for a classier/dressier/formal look for an evening party.

Old 11-14-2018, 08:21 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,857,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelou View Post
Just started a new job at the Corporate office of a national company. There are approx 45 people in the office plus about 45 additional who work in satellite offices. They are holding a Christmas party at a local country club. Very high class country club from what I’ve been told.

I cannot go bare legged to this event. I have a pretty black dress that is slightly flared at hem which hits right at my knees. I can’t decide between sheer or sheer black stockings.

Suggestions?
Black. Sheer looks old ladyish, even on old ladies, and the skin tone never matches that of human skin. I personally prefer the ones with glitter or patterns.

Old 11-14-2018, 09:55 AM

2,385 posts, read 3,649,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenstyle View Post
Since it'll be winter, why not black tights? They make the most sense.
I completely disagree with this. Tights are not formal and are not appropriate for this type of event.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage 80 View Post
Sheer black with no designs.

Designs give a less formal look. Since you say this this is a very classy event, keep your look formal.
I agree. The stockings with designs are very nice and I do like them, but not for this occasion - especially since it's your first time attending. Once you see what everyone else is wearing, you might be able to wear a pattern or design next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Sheer black. If this is a conservative office, I'd hold back on the patterned stockings. Next year you will know if that sort of thing is or is not frowned upon. Stay conservative at first. But the sheer black stockings sound right to me.
I totally agree! You can't go wrong with sheer black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
I disagree. Sheer black is not old fashioned - it's timeless, classy and elegant. You can't go wrong wearing sheer black. No one will really notice your legs if you wear sheer black, but they will definitely notice if you wear a pattern or design. You want to blend, not stick out, for your first Christmas party with this company.

Is it possible for you to see pictures from past Christmas parties? That might help you decide what to wear. You can also google the CC and see if they list a dress code. Many places do. That might help you with your decision.

Old 11-14-2018, 12:35 PM

16,342 posts, read 12,297,552 times
Sheer black thigh highs with a simple back seam.

Old 11-15-2018, 02:37 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,857,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenstyle View Post
Since it'll be winter, why not black tights? They make the most sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrexy View Post
I completely disagree with this. Tights are not formal and are not appropriate for this type of event.

Correction: I wear black tights rather than stockings as well. Black pantyhose are not warm enough on my legs. As for the supposed inappropriateness of tights at work Christmas parties, men are welcome to wear short skirts in winter and get back to me on how their nearly bare legs feel

Old 11-15-2018, 05:45 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,649,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Correction: I wear black tights rather than stockings as well. Black pantyhose are not warm enough on my legs. As for the supposed inappropriateness of tights at work Christmas parties, men are welcome to wear short skirts in winter and get back to me on how their nearly bare legs feel
This isn't about comfort. It's about style and what will fit in for a FORMAL party at a country club. I love tights - black and other colors, but I would not wear them to a formal occasion. If you choose to do so, go right ahead. You could also wear a pair of sweatpants if you are so desperate to keep your legs warm - lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty