U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2018, 09:25 PM

28,020 posts, read 46,565,912 times

Advertisements

Woman who suffered brain damage after receiving plastic surgery in Mexico dies, family says originally appeared on abcnews.go.com

A Dallas woman who traveled to Mexico to receive plastic surgery and suffered brain damage from the anesthesia used in the procedure has died, her sister said in a statement posted to Facebook on Saturday.

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/woman-suff...opstories.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2018, 12:08 AM

4,655 posts, read 7,620,362 times
Yep, have any of you watched the reality TV show called BOTCHED? It's about 2 surgeons & they fix mistakes from past surgeons & 90+% of them were previously done in MEXICO. The other is to fix surgeries that people need that negatively affects their health either due to some medical condition, an accident they were in, etc.

My mom's long-time friend's son's 50 y.o. girlfriend got herself in a coma RIGHT NOW because she went to get plastic surgery in Mexico too a couple wks ago...against everyone's opinions, but her mind was so set on it so she did it. NOT worth it at all, heck, I don't even want to do ANY kind of surgery period...much less Mexico.

Old 11-25-2018, 06:37 AM

1,639 posts, read 3,137,726 times
The sad thing is that there was nothing wrong with her nose in the first place.

Laura Avila Dies Weeks After Botched Nose Job Procedure in Mexico | TMZ.com

Old 11-25-2018, 02:47 PM

298 posts, read 63,274 times
That's heartbreaking. I wish people didn't feel the need to get plastic surgery. She was pretty and there was nothing wrong with her nose

Old 11-27-2018, 07:36 AM

1,921 posts, read 819,907 times
Very sad for her and her family. She was a very pretty girl, but we are all our own harshest critics. I'm going to knock people who wish to get elective surgery, but there's just some things you don't go the cheap/discounted route on.

Old 11-29-2018, 08:59 AM

14,721 posts, read 29,909,214 times
I read the article, the problem was the anesthesia. That happens in this country too, for all types of surgery. To me, the scariest part of any procedure. I had a friend who had a melanoma on his scalp removed, lost part of his vision due to the anesthesia part of the procedure. Anyway, for me, I will never have any unnecessary surgery. So sorry for the lady and her family, RIP.

Old Yesterday, 04:52 AM

77 posts, read 22,947 times
I feel very sad for her and her family. She was young, beautiful, and had her whole life ahead of her. I don’t judge because I have had plastic surgery before but it is definitely a life changing decision that should researched and researched and really thought about before you pull the trigger. It took me a year to decide if I really wanted breast implants and even after that it took me close to a year to find the right doctor. Don’t ever go to Mexico or anywhere outside of he US I have heard too many horror stories and I’m sad to hear another.

Old Yesterday, 10:44 PM

2,820 posts, read 4,358,612 times
I used to live across the border from Juarez. As a nurse, I saw a few cases every couple of months where someone went over the bridge for cheap surgery, and ended up in an El Paso hospital with complications from their “bargain” surgery.

Most of the time surgeries go ok, but bad outcomes are possible with any procedure, here or in Mexico. I’d much prefer to be in the US.

Old Today, 11:49 AM

10,098 posts, read 5,855,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crd08 View Post
Very sad for her and her family. She was a very pretty girl, but we are all our own harshest critics. I'm going to knock people who wish to get elective surgery, but there's just some things you don't go the cheap/discounted route on.
I don't think she got that way by herself. The internet/social media/selfies makes people feel bad about themselves, whether it be their relationships, jobs, appearance. I get someone like a model or celebrity getting plastic surgery, or someone with a significant cosmetic problem, but this lady was so pretty as she was.

There ARE people who regret the surgery even if it was cosmetically successful and you never hear about that.

Well regarded surgeons have been known to mess up and sometimes our bodies just react poorly to being cut, creating too much scar tissue or other unexpected effects like nerve damage, numbness, chronic pain, etc. It is always a risk regardless of how educated we are and we are always warned of possible complications, failures, and effects.

Old Today, 03:03 PM

4,655 posts, read 7,620,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
I don't think she got that way by herself. The internet/social media/selfies makes people feel bad about themselves, whether it be their relationships, jobs, appearance. I get someone like a model or celebrity getting plastic surgery, or someone with a significant cosmetic problem, but this lady was so pretty as she was...
Well, that's why more mothers/parents need to teach their (especially) daughters from an early age to have strong self-esteem (w/o being narcissistic, of course). They should show their daughters that when they look at a magazine, 90+% of the time, it's airbrushed or some kind of modification, etc. They need to instill to be happy within themselves because the truth is that someone's ALWAYS going to look better than you just like someone always looks worse & you just have to be satisfied.

Do I wish my nose looked a little different, sure, but I honestly haven't thought about it much throughout my life & sure won't risk going under the knife...esp when there are ways to highlight & contrast, etc. w/ makeup. I may not be the most knockout gorgeous lady, but I definitely think I'm pretty enough.

And believe it or not, I've never taken a selfie in my life just to do it for no reason...I don't give a care about all that. The most I did recently was took a pic of myself to show a couple of family members who asked how my new hairstyle looked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or