U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2018, 06:05 PM

3,290 posts, read 2,509,389 times

Advertisements

This is a fashion and beauty topic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2018, 06:08 PM

18,841 posts, read 3,842,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
This is a fashion and beauty topic?
LOL, didn't even notice!

Old 11-25-2018, 06:17 PM

39,662 posts, read 38,254,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
I must be a lot older than you, as where I grew up, the rednecks had short, greasy, peroxided hair decades and decades ago...and made fun of those with long hair, beards etc. Now times have changed, they've switched and think they are totally the "cool" ones...
I reckon you are.

But the rednecks I have known over the past 50 years in Mississippi and west Tennessee have had long hair right along with anyone who might be considered a hippie and have never cared if anyone else thought they were cool.

Sure, some had short hair (that's how their necks got red in the first place) but "not caring" is part of being a redneck.

Old 11-25-2018, 07:06 PM

12,970 posts, read 12,261,014 times
There are different rednecks you know. The ones in The South will more likely have long hair, beard, little rougher around the edges, etc, and it has been this way for decades at least.

In the plains states, Kansas, Nebraska, etc, rednecks are more clean cut, short hair, maybe a beard, unshaved look or gotee, and kind of do look down a little on those with long hair.

Yea, very general, stereotyping, just my experience/thoughts.

Old 11-25-2018, 07:25 PM

1,651 posts, read 2,827,582 times
^^^ This too. After the Civil War the Rocky Mountain states and Western Texas were settled by Northerners who were clean-cut.

Old 11-25-2018, 10:19 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,350,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
Back in the 60s and 70s, it seemed that rednecks looked down on hippies for having long hair, wearing beards, and smoking weed. Now, rednecks do all 3! I've seen so many redneck guys who have long hair and beards (think Duck Dynasty) and I've known many who like weed.

Uh no. I grew up in the South in the 60s and 70s and people looked down on rednecks AND hippies for much the same reasons. They didn't get into the esoterics too much, between the two terms. They just looked at what they saw.

Old Yesterday, 07:45 AM

8,344 posts, read 4,558,532 times
you do know the red neck was the scot irish labor force, especially from the tn,nc,va,wv mountain area that wore red scarfs around they neck while working the coal mines. just everyday white labor force

Old Yesterday, 08:36 AM

296 posts, read 53,574 times
This is what I'm talking about

This was filmed in 1968 in Morganza, Louisiana and all the good old boys in the diner have short hair, while Dennis Hopper has long hair. Even though it's a fictitious movie, I think this showcases the cultural divide in America at the time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqHddcMUF9w

One of the rednecks makes an explicit reference to Hopper's long hair and insinuates that it's feminine.

Old Yesterday, 09:05 AM

39,662 posts, read 38,254,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
This is what I'm talking about

This was filmed in 1968 in Morganza, Louisiana and all the good old boys in the diner have short hair, while Dennis Hopper has long hair.

One of the rednecks makes an explicit reference to Hopper's long hair and insinuates that it's feminine.
First, that's a movie.

And ... I guess you've never been to the South? Because the people in the diner aren't rednecks. Not all southerners are rednecks, just FYI. The people in the diner were farmers and law enforcement and students. That's why the men had short hair.

There are more differences that you need to learn about.

Old Yesterday, 09:32 AM

2,906 posts, read 1,761,624 times
Jeez, you telling me i'm a redneck then? I've had a beard and long hair since the 80s!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty