Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2018, 08:44 AM

6,222 posts, read 3,593,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
First, that's a movie.

And ... I guess you've never been to the South? Because the people in the diner aren't rednecks. Not all southerners are rednecks, just FYI. The people in the diner were farmers and law enforcement and students. That's why the men had short hair.

There are more differences that you need to learn about.
I'm not saying they're rednecks because they have Southern accents. The girls next to them do too and I didn't refer to them as rednecks. But I classify those dudes as rednecks based on what they're saying. But let's just say "good old boys" instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2018, 08:47 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
Nobody remembers "greasers"...? The rednecks who back then had short, greasy hair, sometimes peroxided....? They made remarks about long hair on men in the 70s...

Yes it WAS a long time ago

Old 11-26-2018, 08:48 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
I'm not saying they're rednecks because they have Southern accents. The girls next to them do too and I didn't refer to them as rednecks. But I classify those dudes as rednecks based on what they're saying. But let's just say "good old boys" instead.
Your thread isn’t about good ole boys.

Old 11-26-2018, 09:24 AM

5,404 posts, read 3,595,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Nobody remembers "greasers"...? The rednecks who back then had short, greasy hair, sometimes peroxided....? They made remarks about long hair on men in the 70s...

Yes it WAS a long time ago
greasers here came before rockers which came before bikers.

Old 11-26-2018, 09:26 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,016,112 times
It seems to me, that what you're talking about, back in the 60's and 70's was a generational thing, as well as a cultural clash.

First of all, "rednecks" referred more to rural people. Farmers to be more specific. It so happens that farmers are often more conservative than their counterparts. "redneck" referred to their necks getting sunburned after working outside for hours and hours. It eventually came to mean, in a derrogatory way, any rural folks with provincial ways.

Hippies were all about rebeling against established norms. Thus, letting their hair grow, and in general, defying the norms established by the previous generation, which were sending off their young men to the slaughter of Vietnam.

Old 11-26-2018, 12:11 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,431,151 times
Quote:
Back in the 60s and 70s, it seemed that rednecks looked down on hippies for having long hair, wearing beards, and smoking weed. Now, rednecks do all 3! I've seen so many redneck guys who have long hair and beards (think Duck Dynasty) and I've known many who like weed.
Culture change - many rednecks at my school listened to both country and rap. Dressed country 100% with camo to school, sometimes even waders!

The clean-cut image of Hank Williams was contrasted in the next generation by Hank Jr., you'd hardly be able to make the association if not told so verbally.

Charlie Daniels song "Long Haired Country Boy" is a good example of pre-Duck Dynasty attitude towards this way of life. They were social outcasts in the mainstream Southern / Country communities but have existed for generations.

If you count the original settlers of the NC mountains around Asheville, you'll see that barber shops were not popular. Instead the "mountain man" look prevailed.

Old 11-26-2018, 01:57 PM

7,643 posts, read 4,589,722 times
Huh...I thought long hair and beard symbolized someone who was a tech worker. Different area I guess.

Old 11-26-2018, 02:08 PM

3,345 posts, read 2,306,314 times
I was just about to ask this question too,

It appears these days one out of seven guys out in public have hair longer than 4 inches. And often styled thick and layered as well. It appears this is how they make themselves look different from ladies with similar length hair.

I remember as late as in the 1990s if a boy had long hair or hair just longer than 3 inches, kids around him would make fun of him for his hair, and his parents, relatives, and teachers alike would constantly repeat, "get a haircut." But these days, or at least since the mid 2000s it becomes much more accepted and cherished with the peers. Though its kind of like what happens with tattoos as well.

Id be curious what sparked this trend since the mid 2000s. Though long hair on men was common in human history until around the early 20th century when constant wars drafted men to the military where they get their hair shaved off. And employers like the looks of ex military men for decades after the war.

I haven't been in a school in a while though I would like to ask how many boys in your kid's school have longer hair?
Or if you are still in school/college/Uni, how many of your classmates who are guys have hair longer than 4 inches?

Old 11-26-2018, 02:40 PM

24,479 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
Please do some research on the term red neck and its application. "Dudes"? - last time I heard that was in a John Wayne movie. The one where his daughter got spanked by her future husband.

My local red necks are Indian feather - so are they red skins, red necks, red all overs, ...?

Old 11-26-2018, 02:45 PM

24,479 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
greasers here came before rockers which came before bikers.
I did not have long hair until 2017/2018, it was never greasy but darn it - I loved to ride a bike but have to settle for p/u nowadays. Short and peroxided - natural blonde here; still use root booster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty