U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 06:44 AM

9,281 posts, read 4,051,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
well, i "rent" clothes...but in a different way.

shopping at the Goodwill and those types of stores has worked for me.
sometimes what i buy, i wear once, and donate back. sometimes, i keep.
essentially, it is sooo much better for my shopaholic nature
and my bank balance. of course, i live in a nice area
and the donations here are superb.

My only concern with renting clothes is how are they cleaned between people? If someone has a contagious skin condition would dry cleaning kill any germs or bacteria?

I once found a perfect black evening gown with spaghetti straps at a consignment shop. It fit like a glove which isn't easy to find when you are under 5'2" tall. Through the years it has been taken in, let out and taken in again. It cost me all of $20.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 06:45 AM

1,766 posts, read 610,022 times
Nope

Old Today, 07:51 AM

2,439 posts, read 2,151,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Because dress rental wasn’t an option until recently. We had no choice not to buy it.
When you say dress rental wasn't an option up until recently, what exactly do you mean? In the vast majority of the country, there has been nothing targeting anyone for operating a dress rental store for many, many, many decades. At least not that I'm aware of.

Old Today, 12:21 PM

26,980 posts, read 28,398,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
When you say dress rental wasn't an option up until recently, what exactly do you mean? In the vast majority of the country, there has been nothing targeting anyone for operating a dress rental store for many, many, many decades. At least not that I'm aware of.
Right, women couldn't rent dresses for social occasions, there was no tux rental equivalent.

Old Today, 12:38 PM

1,286 posts, read 509,085 times
I rented a tux for my daughters wedding.

I have suits in my closet that I haven't worn in over 20 years that probably don't fit anymore. Should probably donate them. Don't expect to need one until I'm buried. Even then, what's wrong with getting buried in sweats and a T-shirt?

Old Today, 01:37 PM

7,150 posts, read 5,321,360 times
My wife did it...We had a relatively condensed period where we had basically four super dressy occasions, two for work, rehearsal dinner, and wedding in a month long period...

It was worth it. The thing is, rent it early, rent it often in your trial period, so you can figure if you need a size 10 or a 12, and get use out of it while you have it. She also used it for a bridal shower and a baby shower and a party we had during the same time period. Normally the last three (and the rehearsal dinner) she'd have worn something she has, but she decided to get some real mileage out of it. So she got seven outfits out of her month.

And no, she wouldn't normally buy an outfit for each of the functions, but if you can rent it, why not?

Old Today, 01:39 PM

7,150 posts, read 5,321,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
My only concern with renting clothes is how are they cleaned between people? If someone has a contagious skin condition would dry cleaning kill any germs or bacteria?

I once found a perfect black evening gown with spaghetti straps at a consignment shop. It fit like a glove which isn't easy to find when you are under 5'2" tall. Through the years it has been taken in, let out and taken in again. It cost me all of $20.
They dry clean them. Everything came in clean. A few came in with tags still on it.

Old Today, 06:34 PM

1,039 posts, read 344,363 times
what JONOV said.

Old Today, 07:05 PM

1,478 posts, read 460,055 times
No, never.

I'm too clumsy, which is why I'd never borrow anything either... I don't want the stress of concentrating on not spilling food or drinks on myself, dropping a lipstick on my dress or leaning in/against something that would leave a stain, rather than enjoying the occasion.

Besides, I own about 8-10 gowns... all bought new for about $20. You can find good bargains if you buy when you don't need it now, but have taken the time to occasionally search for a future occasion.

I also would never lend out anything. I have several times in my youth... in 1 case, my jacket was returned wrinkled, wet & smeared in red paint, with no apology (had to toss it)... 1 outfit was never returned & the person later said she never borrowed it (yeah, I just dream about people borrowing my clothing)... & the last was someone with a much fuller waist & my skirt was stretched to within an inch of it's life, just by her trying it on without my permission... I didn't lend it to her. It never looked good on me again... the waist was so stretched, I had to wear it only with a long, untucked shirt or long suit jacket.

You wear your clothing. I'll wear mine. Nothing wrong with rentals, but I don't need it.

However, I can see why others would if they need a dress for a one off occasion & will absolutely never wear a dressy outfit again... are traveling long distances/abroad to a function & don't wish to carry items with them... or go up-down in weight, so have no idea how much they'll weigh in 6-mos at cousin Mary's wedding.

Old Today, 07:36 PM

1,323 posts, read 3,101,778 times
I rented an outfit for a convention many years ago - black tie event and I knew I'd never wear that type of outfit again. Found a beautiful jumpsuit and jacket that fit like it was made for me. I had so many positive comments on the outfit made me feel super special. it was reasonable - like $ 55.00 for the 4 day weekend. well worth it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty