U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2018, 06:00 PM

5,083 posts, read 1,442,665 times

Advertisements

I was reading this article, below, but thinking that part of the point of shopping, for me, is to choose something I really like and I'd want to keep.

Rent the Runway Wants to Lend You Your Look
With its subscription service, the company has created an unusual hybrid of fast fashion and luxury. Will it stop you from buying new clothes?
By Alexandra Schwartz

Hyman founded Rent the Runway in 2008 with Jenny Fleiss, while both were in their second year at Harvard Business School. The idea was simple. Men have long been able to rent tuxedos for black-tie events. Why should a woman spend a fortune on a gown that she’ll probably never wear again?

“Lots of forces are disrupting the fashion world right now,” Cindi Leive, the former editor of Glamour, told me. “There’s the over-all demolition of every old rule you can think of about how people should dress.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2018/10/22/rent-the-runway-wants-to-lend-you-your-look
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2018, 06:20 PM

541 posts, read 135,740 times
I've actually considered this for a very dressy family wedding but haven't used it. My niece, a definite fashionista, has. I think it's a great idea.

Old 11-26-2018, 06:25 PM

412 posts, read 79,333 times
I would be willing to rent formal gowns, but not other clothing.

Oh, one more thing I would be happy to rent would be ski clothing. Of course it would have to be available to rent at the ski destination like boots and skis. It would be so convenient to be able to fly to a ski destination vacation and not have to pack my ski suit. I like to pack light and ski clothing can be bulky.

Old 11-26-2018, 06:25 PM

5,813 posts, read 3,254,449 times
No and no

Old 11-26-2018, 08:56 PM

5,957 posts, read 7,190,083 times
I would be willing to do it, but the last time I looked for a special occasion I discovered it probably won't work for me. I'm under 5 ft tall and the rental garments cannot be altered so......

Old 11-26-2018, 09:05 PM

26,980 posts, read 28,398,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
I was reading this article, below, but thinking that part of the point of shopping, for me, is to choose something I really like and I'd want to keep.

Rent the Runway Wants to Lend You Your Look
With its subscription service, the company has created an unusual hybrid of fast fashion and luxury. Will it stop you from buying new clothes?
By Alexandra Schwartz

Hyman founded Rent the Runway in 2008 with Jenny Fleiss, while both were in their second year at Harvard Business School. The idea was simple. Men have long been able to rent tuxedos for black-tie events. Why should a woman spend a fortune on a gown that she’ll probably never wear again?

“Lots of forces are disrupting the fashion world right now,” Cindi Leive, the former editor of Glamour, told me. “There’s the over-all demolition of every old rule you can think of about how people should dress.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2018/10/22/rent-the-runway-wants-to-lend-you-your-look
I did the gown rental once. It was a good way to wear a look I would never do. One of my coworkers does the subscription service, borrowing bags and clothing. She loves it. She lets me know what she is wearimg that is borrowed. 🙂

Old 11-27-2018, 07:05 AM

1,919 posts, read 816,652 times
I like to change my look a lot, so if I had the money to waste on renting clothes/bags, I probably would.

I would consider renting a gown if I had something come up and needed one.

Old 11-27-2018, 08:13 AM

3,701 posts, read 3,299,153 times
I've rented a tuxedo once or twice. I'd do it again since I don't wear tuxedos that often.

Funny how girls buy expensive dresses they may only wear once but boys rent tuxedos.

Old 11-27-2018, 09:42 AM

26,980 posts, read 28,398,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
I've rented a tuxedo once or twice. I'd do it again since I don't wear tuxedos that often.

Funny how girls buy expensive dresses they may only wear once but boys rent tuxedos.
Because dress rental wasn’t an option until recently. We had no choice not to buy it.

Old 11-27-2018, 10:33 AM

1,228 posts, read 722,271 times
I've been doing this for years, from RTR, mostly for special events and nights out. I also rented to be a maid of honor. I've almost always had a positive experience...however, as years have gone on the quality of clothing has gone down.

When I do rent, I now stick with a local spot, with a showroom, here in LA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty