U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2018, 04:10 PM

13,478 posts, read 43,035,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
I'll agree to that! Lots of guys let their beards grow to the point it looks like steel wool on their faces. I know they're not doing it for the ladies. LOL

I have a couple of colleagues at work who have what I call "equilibrium" beards - they don't trim them at all, they grow out till normal hair shedding is in equilibrium with hair growth. Kind of like the ZZ Topp guys, or the Duck Dynasty guys.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2018, 04:20 PM

21,659 posts, read 18,314,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likealady View Post
Forget long hair, what's with the guys with the super long and unkempt beards? Many of them look awful.
Oh my goodness! Thank you!! I absolutely DETEST those beards on any guy. Makes me think they are ISIS.

Old 11-27-2018, 04:32 PM

4,587 posts, read 1,580,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
Oh my goodness! Thank you!! I absolutely DETEST those beards on any guy. Makes me think they are ISIS.

Or bikers. lol

Old 11-27-2018, 04:33 PM

1,475 posts, read 460,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
I do know that long hair did make a comeback in the 1960s-1970s but there was a strong stagma on it back then as they were associated with hippy rebellious, anti social countercultures. It was mostly worn by those who rebelled against being drafted to the Vietnam war.
I've seen that, too. I had 4 older brothers who went into the USAF during that time. Once out, all of them grew out their hair, didn't shave & you had to tear clothes off them to get them to take off their wrinkled clothing.

After 1-2 yrs, they got serious about jobs, got married & got that rebellion out of their systems. But, it was their way of saying they didn't have to do what told to do & they wanted everyone to know it by appearance.

Old 11-27-2018, 07:34 PM

204 posts, read 51,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
I did mention that men had long hair compared to today until we had wars once every few decades or so.

Interestingly many older parents will still frown upon longer hair on their sons. This particularly include Christian parents, ironically despite how men in the bible era had hair much longer than most men today even the one with longer hairstyles. Yet they believe the bible require men to get almost military style cuts that is uncommon until recent history.

I do know that long hair did make a comeback in the 1960s-1970s but there was a strong stagma on it back then as they were associated with hippy rebellious, anti social countercultures. It was mostly worn by those who rebelled against being drafted to the Vietnam war.

While its true that in the 1990s and parts of the 1980s longer hairstyles on men were popular on some TV and movie actors and rock musicians it wasn't nearly as popular as today in the general public. Probably one out of 30 kids in school on average. And back when I was in school its not uncommon for kids particularly girls to pick on such boys for being girly. Or for boys to be mistaken for a girl by other boys. i.e "We won't let "her" climb the castle its boys only", Today it seems to be going the same way tattoos are going. Back then tattoos until the 2000s were already popular on rock musicans and other counter culture groups but severely frowned upon by the mainstream world. And that girls of similar age at least accept and even adore longer hair on guys rather than view them with disdain, and guys no longer exclude or make fun of their friends due to longer hair. In other words it seems far less socially acceptable today either as a guy or girl to make the remark on the Youtube video I posted, towards guys with longer hair.

Edit: Many guys do try to make their hairstyle look distinguished from ladies with similar length hair, ie they style their hair in more a thick layered and somewhat rougher style compared with most ladies hair.
I attended high school circa the early to mid-ninties in a semi-rural/small town area that was hardly an epicenter of pop culture and trend-setting. I can tell you without glancing at any of my yearbooks that far more than than one out of every thirty boys had longish hair. Super long hair like metal or pop acts like Metallica, Guns and Roses, Warrant and Nelson was limited to a certain type of dude, but plenty of guys rocked the skater/surf/grunge length of hair--often short or shaved underneath and long on the top and sides.

Old 11-27-2018, 11:12 PM

2,491 posts, read 4,480,261 times
My son's hair is far below his shoulders and he usually wears it loose. A couple years ago when I was on FB, I posted a photo of him holding the state chess championship trophy he had just won, and an old friend said, "Hey, he has has the same hair you had in high school!"

He's lived in Eugene and Portland OR the past 6 years, and long hair on men is quite common in both cities.

Old Yesterday, 11:36 AM

1,041 posts, read 447,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
I'll agree to that! Lots of guys let their beards grow to the point it looks like steel wool on their faces. I know they're not doing it for the ladies. LOL
It appears guys do make themselves distinguishable from girls. In one way or another so this wont or be unlikely to happen:
https://mom.me/kids/19629-8-things-h...has-long-hair/
Where these younger boys have trouble with gender identity among others as little boys hair would grow similarly to little girls hair.

Even if they could not grow a beard or mustache for that matter they make their hair look more unkempt and crazier than the average lady, often by layering and use of GAPSY https://menhairstylesworld.com/layer...rcuts-for-men/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Known As Twenty View Post
I attended high school circa the early to mid-ninties in a semi-rural/small town area that was hardly an epicenter of pop culture and trend-setting. I can tell you without glancing at any of my yearbooks that far more than than one out of every thirty boys had longish hair. Super long hair like metal or pop acts like Metallica, Guns and Roses, Warrant and Nelson was limited to a certain type of dude, but plenty of guys rocked the skater/surf/grunge length of hair--often short or shaved underneath and long on the top and sides.
Its interesting, I guess it just happens in places I been to and schools I went to its not that common. Its spotty at best. I see just a few at school at best and they stand out like a sore thumb among hundreds to thousands of peers. Though at school skits playing heavy metal rock kids on stage do wear wigs. And some Walt Disney and other live movie/TV characters did have longer hairstyles during that period.
I still remember one kid in one of my classes who had a lion like mane hair and was made fun of quite a bit, not necessary for his hairstyle though. However aside from that particular kid, I don't remember having any classmates with hair longer than 3 inches long. The "bowl" cut was popular back then though.
I spent a good chunk of time in the Eastern parts of SF Bay Area for that matter when I was in school.

Its interesting though I know plenty of ladies born in the late 1970s or early 1980s they do not like their boyfriends/husbands to have long hair and prefer them short even today, and when they have children of their own they also prefer boys hair to be short. Of course man would mostly seem to prefer woman to have long hair and this haven't changed much throughout much of history. Though I did notice woman's hair trend shorter in the late 1990s and early 2000s.

Last edited by citizensadvocate; Yesterday at 11:45 AM..

Old Yesterday, 12:30 PM

20,422 posts, read 20,620,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
like Jesus and his gang of disciples

Old Yesterday, 01:44 PM

1,041 posts, read 447,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
like Jesus and his gang of disciples
Good example, Ironically despite that most men in the Bible era including those who wrote the Bible look like that with shoulder length hair and often facial hair. It appears modern day or 20th century Christians seem to strongly frown upon it and believe mens hair should be shorter than 2 inches and thinly groomed, and not have facial hair. It just seems socially unacceptable in church for devoted believers and often disallowed for those in serving positions, or those attending or teaching Christian schools/colleges.

Old Yesterday, 02:18 PM

18,981 posts, read 3,867,383 times
It's not just longer hair that is acceptable now...thinking of those that shave their head bald and how common that is now.

We are more forgiving now of younger adults who wear half shaved/half not shaved hair, Mohawks, and that weird one cops do, shaving on the sides but longer on top. (not flattering to me).

Now multiple colors are popular.

So seems we are accepting just about anything. Which is a good thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or