Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 03:05 PM

1,907 posts, read 3,207,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Certain very strict Christian denominations like long hair on females and short hair on males. I think it has something to do with head coverings (think Menonite, Muslim). I also think religious extremists like to enforce gender rolls and this is one way to do it. IMO these are not mainstream Christians and certainly not all Christians.
Also many companies still don't allow their employees to have beards or certain types of long hair in certain positions. Which I don't really agree with as long as it's "neat" but i digress.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2018, 06:45 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,024,408 times
https://www.allure.com/story/long-ha...ity-connection

https://www.mlive.com/living/grand-r...many_worl.html

Old 11-30-2018, 02:35 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,258,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Certain very strict Christian denominations like long hair on females and short hair on males. I think it has something to do with head coverings (think Menonite, Muslim). I also think religious extremists like to enforce gender rolls and this is one way to do it. IMO these are not mainstream Christians and certainly not all Christians.
This always kind of puzzles me, they believe that men needs to have hair not much longer than the military in order to be biblical. However yet almost every one in the bible era had hair exceeding their collars. And the bible never really required any followers to cut hair. But there were groups that were forbidden to cut hair such as those who took the Nazarite vow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taynxtlvl View Post
Also many companies still don't allow their employees to have beards or certain types of long hair in certain positions. Which I don't really agree with as long as it's "neat" but i digress.
In Texas it appears longer hairstyles at least on boys are frown upon and even forbidden in many settings even public schools. Some kids have been suspended including indigenous people who's religions forbids cutting hair. Even in progressive UT Austin, students at least back in 2006 were taught that longer hairstyles would severely hamper them from impressing future employers.

Old 11-30-2018, 07:58 AM

12,277 posts, read 7,981,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
This always kind of puzzles me, they believe that men needs to have hair not much longer than the military in order to be biblical. However yet almost every one in the bible era had hair exceeding their collars. And the bible never really required any followers to cut hair. But there were groups that were forbidden to cut hair such as those who took the Nazarite vow.
In is not just hair, but from Leviticus that applies to everything that the society assigns as to the other gender. So presumably if you were in a tribe where the woman wore close cropped hair and the men wore it long that is what the believer is expected to do, when in Rome as the saying goes.

Old 12-01-2018, 07:22 AM

2,504 posts, read 1,822,641 times
Guys should not have long hair, only Jesus Christ himself.

Old 12-01-2018, 11:38 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,382,898 times
I've never found long hair on men attractive, but there have been plenty of women my whole life that do. I also graduated high school in the 90's.

What I really dislike is the long, scraggly, dirty-looking beard tradition. It makes young men look much older than their age too, perhaps that is part of the appeal? I went back to school (community college) a couple of years ago, and some of these 20 year old young men looked 40 to me.

The beards also make me think of the Roald Dahl character Mr. Twit, who was described as enjoying
Quote:
“...sticking out his tongue and curling it sideways to explore the hairy jungle around his mouth, he was always able to find a tasty morsel here and there to nibble on.â€
Obviously Roald Dahl didn't like beards either.

https://www.roalddahl.com/create-and...mr-twits-beard

Old 12-01-2018, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taynxtlvl View Post
In certain jobs its just unsanitary to have either of these as hair is likely to drop and make a mess on things. And there are jobs positions where these may get caught in machinery. I know someone who had that terrible mishap that happened after a bun fell apart and hair got caught in machinery.

Though for other jobs it seems like its more of whether the hair/beard can be kept to not look unkempt.
It appears one interesting phenomenon I notice is that guys with longer hair often try to make themselves look distinguishable from ladies, to avoid being mistaken for one, and its often to make their hairstyle look messy and its not uncommon to have an unkempt beard to go alone with it as well. I guess that hurts the reputation of all men that have longer hair and beards.

Though as I mentioned earlier it appears to be much less acceptable socially to make fun of guys with long(er) hair these days like whats shown on the video I shared. I don't know about in schools though as I haven't been school aged for quite a while. But I do know they get made fun off back when I was school aged in the 1980s and even 1990s even if its not against school "hair" codes where it exists. Though today it appears among children boy after boy I see have it so I guess school kids envy such hairstyles rather than taunt it these days.
Though I guess its not unlike Tattoos which existed for quite a while among the counterculture i.e rock musicians, bikers, etc, but its only recently it became much more accepted among the mainstream society.
While some employers still disagree but they are also shrinking by the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
In is not just hair, but from Leviticus that applies to everything that the society assigns as to the other gender. So presumably if you were in a tribe where the woman wore close cropped hair and the men wore it long that is what the believer is expected to do, when in Rome as the saying goes.
Interesting though its more of a diplomatic rule than anything else. as gospel spreaders acted like diplomats back then. As Diplomats acting as a representative of their own country they are required to respect the laws and customs of the host country. Id be curious does this mean that gospel spreaders had to make that long braid with the head top shaved when they reached Ming Dynasty China in the 18th century?

Interesting though Leviticus also seems to have verse forbidden cutting hair at one part. Having said that it appears Christian woman shouldn't cut their hair at all if we strictly go by scriptures.
Leviticus 19:27 You must not cut off the hair at the sides of your head or clip off the edges of your beard.
It appears Shieks have the same rule and they seem to stricter at keeping it. But they are also required to cover their head.

So I guess since longer hair is now accepted in most of society so believing guys can do as the Romans do. Just like how woman can have shorter hairstyles these days.

Old 09-07-2021, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Rock stars. Check out pics of Metallica band members circa 1995.*
Rock stars might have been the major influencers. That’s my guess.*
But some men did sport long hair. I think they might have styled themselves as outlaw types, but they were out there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
Back when I was a teen in the 60s and 70s, most of the guys I dated all had long hair.
Its interesting I notice these days all of a sudden one out of four guys have hair longer than six inches these days. And it appears this is the case even in churches. Though I notice the trend seem to be on full swing long after the salon/barbor*closures were lifted. Ironically guys hair were generally not as long last summer. I guess its necessary to style and groom them for a while before they get to that length.
These days or should I say since 2017 many guys also have hair that is layered in a way it falls forward alot.*
I guess I mentioned it already. I do realize that longer hair trends in parts of the 20th century had been known as rebel or outlaw thus not well accepted by society. I remember some countries will not even admit men with hair longer than a certain point. But in the 21st century it seems much more accepted by society. I am curious whether it's because those born in the 1960s are now running the world?
It appears the same thing with tattoos. They did exist in 20th century but most mostly only on Rebels and Rockstars and may be strongly frowned upon elsewhere. Its interesting how in Tokyo Olympics a good number of athletics would have Tattoos but the local Japanese may still frown upon them makes an interesting situation.

The hot hairstyle for boys this fall? Long and shaggy, thanks to Disney, NickelodeonHIDE CAPTIONStylist Diana Garsa cuts the hair of Lan Ventura, 10, at Sport Clips in Georgetown, Texas.
https://www.metrowestdailynews.com/a...NEWS/308109887

Interesting*I was thinking whether the Bush lead war in Iraq lead to this trend.*Ironically Walt Disney once hated guys with long hair. It wasn't until years after*he passed away were males with long hair were admitted to Walt Disney's parks.

Old 09-07-2021, 09:41 AM

9,214 posts, read 14,765,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Huh?

OP, are you under 30 by any chance?

Long hair on guys has been acceptable, all across society, since about 1970. (Check out the sideburns and blow dry jobs in the photos of the Nixon, Ford, and Carter administrations).
Long hair on guys has been acceptable a lot longer than that- like since the beginning of human kind.

Like women's hair dos, men's hair changes with the current fad and fashion.

Old 09-07-2021, 09:47 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,096 posts, read 80,136,113 times
Back in the 1960s after returning from the barber my father would send me back to get it cut shorter, as I tried to keep it longer. Once out of his control I went for years without a haircut, and when I got married in 1974 it was down to my shoulders. After graduate school I did start keeping it just to the collar, to get a good job. Fast forward to today, even in a professional office setting there are guys with long hair and it's perfectly acceptable. I still keep mine shorted just because it's easier to manage, and also "been there done that."

We recently noticed on the televised Little League World Series that many of the little 10-12 year old boys have long hair, so it must be more acceptable than the 1960s, since their parents are allowing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty