U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 09:28 AM

1,040 posts, read 445,966 times

Advertisements

It appears these days one out of seven guys out in public have hair longer than 3 inches. And one out of 14 guys have hair down to his collars and chin. I remember as late as in the 1990s if a boy had long hair or even just hair longer than 3 inches, kids around him would make fun of him for his hair, similar to 1:09 of this Easy rider movie scene
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqHddcMUF9, and his parents, relatives, and teachers alike would constantly repeat, "when will you get a haircut?" But these days, or at least since the mid 2000s it longer hair on guys seems much more accepted and even cherished with the peers. Of course not every parent like this trend.

Id be curious what sparked this trend since the mid 2000s. I know that long hair on men was fairly common in human history until around the early 20th century when constant wars drafted men to the military where they get their hair shaved off. And employers and society in general prefers the looks of ex military men for decades after the war.

I haven't been in a school in a while though I would like to ask how many boys in your kid's school have longer hair?

Or if you yourself are still in school/college/Uni, how many of your classmates who are guys have hair longer than 3 inches?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 09:42 AM

19,243 posts, read 12,718,321 times
Rock stars. Check out pics of Metallica band members circa 1995.

Rock stars might have been the major influencers. That’s my guess.

But some men did sport long hair. I think they might have styled themselves as outlaw types, but they were out there.

Old Yesterday, 09:44 AM

2,386 posts, read 2,137,137 times
Back when I was a teen in the 60s and 70s, most of the guys I dated all had long hair.

What goes around comes around.

My husband didn't cut his ponytail off until he was in his 50s. And it looked good to me.

Old Yesterday, 09:46 AM

3,706 posts, read 1,588,906 times
Huh?

OP, are you under 30 by any chance?

Long hair on guys has been acceptable, all across society, since about 1970. (Check out the sideburns and blow dry jobs in the photos of the Nixon, Ford, and Carter administrations).

Old Yesterday, 09:57 AM

1,345 posts, read 581,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Huh?

OP, are you under 30 by any chance?

Long hair on guys has been acceptable, all across society, since about 1970. (Check out the sideburns and blow dry jobs in the photos of the Nixon, Ford, and Carter administrations).
We knew it had been "accepted" when formerly taunting rednecks (a la Easy Rider) adopted longer hair. And that was looooooooong before the 1990s.

Old Yesterday, 10:54 AM

76 posts, read 22,295 times
I don’t know I don’t see too many guys with long hair anymore. Everyone balds their head or has some short cut. Lol I wish long hair would make a comeback.

Old Yesterday, 11:20 AM
Status: "hanging out with me myself an eye" (set 8 days ago)

734 posts, read 541,213 times
Huh? How old are you? Long hair was very in during the 90's. Interview with a vampire, what's eating Gilbert grape, Kurt Cobain, heck, the grunge movement!? My blonde locks were down to my shoulders and I thought I was hot poop! No one ever made fun of long hair.

The last 10 years has certainly seen a resurgence of the popular long hair look. I just wish I had enough of it to rock it once more!

Old Yesterday, 11:42 AM

6,997 posts, read 4,295,384 times
Times and trends change. Long hair on men is not a new thing.

Old Yesterday, 11:51 AM

4,989 posts, read 1,264,929 times
It depends on the setting and profession. Most older businessmen don't have long hair, however in other forms of employment its totally fine.

Even African American sports stars (college and professional) largely have long hair with blown out Afros and dreadlocks.

Old Yesterday, 12:53 PM

19,243 posts, read 12,718,321 times
I think the OP is much younger than many of us who post here. I puzzled over their post, and tried to remember my kids’ friends from the ‘90s decade. These friends would have been high school and college age. I do not remember long hair among the guys. So, going off that, I assume the OP did not know any long haired guys in high school, and/or in college.

I still think rock stars were major influencers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or