U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2018, 12:49 PM

15,901 posts, read 13,340,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
I wonder, does anyone here consider Tommy Hilfiger to be a true preppy brand? Are they in the same league as Polo Ralph Lauren, Lacoste, or Vineyard Vines as far as preppiness? Tommy Hilfiger is making a comeback with PVH and has been showing significant growth.
No.

And with the exception of Lauren, the others are not preppy either. Lacoste may have been about 40 years ago, but is not particularly anymore.

OTOH, I suspect you and I have different definitions of prep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2018, 06:17 PM

279 posts, read 188,731 times
I guess I'll have you define "preppy." Lacoste, Polo, Nautica, Hilfiger are all examples of traditional/conservative style sportswear.

Old 12-06-2018, 08:22 PM

13,547 posts, read 15,228,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete98146 View Post
I guess I'll have you define "preppy." Lacoste, Polo, Nautica, Hilfiger are all examples of traditional/conservative style sportswear.
They've all diverged, some more than others. Tommy is in the more category. RL Polo in the less, although there's plenty of not remotely trad/conservative stuff Polo makes as well.

Vineyard Vines and Brooks Brothers are what comes to mind when talking about conservative preppy. Tommy is what comes to mind when thinking about hip hop/urban wear. It's certainly not traditional/conservative but it's still sort of preppy, just fused with some FUBU. Back in the day (for me) they did make some awesome baggy parachute jeans though. In other words they did quite well in suburban malls where kids got their back to school clothes whereas Brooks Brothers definitely does not.

Last edited by Malloric; 12-06-2018 at 08:30 PM..

Old 12-06-2018, 08:38 PM

4,800 posts, read 7,328,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
They've all diverged, some more than others. Tommy is in the more category. RL Polo in the less, although there's plenty of not remotely trad/conservative stuff Polo makes as well.

Vineyard Vines and Brooks Brothers are what comes to mind when talking about conservative preppy. Tommy is what comes to mind when thinking about hip hop/urban wear. It's certainly not traditional/conservative but it's still sort of preppy, just fused with some FUBU. Back in the day (for me) they did make some awesome baggy parachute jeans though. In other words they did quite well in suburban malls where kids got their back to school clothes whereas Brooks Brothers definitely does not.
Nautica, along with IZOD, tend to have a stigma of being dadwear nowadays, since nowadays those brands are typically more popular with middle-aged to older men. Nautica last year tried to recapture younger audiences by partnering with Lil Yachty, while IZOD this fall is partnering with Aaron Rodgers and Colin Jost to convince younger, active individuals to buy IZOD.

Old 12-06-2018, 08:51 PM

13,547 posts, read 15,228,791 times
Nautica -- SoundCloud rappers and preppy aren't two things I tend to associate with one another.

IZOD -- Aaron Rodgers and Colin Jost are both older than I am. More of a preppy vibe.

But yeah, Nautica/IZOD were both brands sold to Wall Street sharks to gut for a quick buck. I don't think of younger, active people and IZOD. I think of fat people in their 40s who dress poorly and JCP clearance racks. That that's coming from a not quite that fat guy in his 30s is all the worse for them. I'm not fat enough yet that I don't fit in normal sized clothes and have to look at IZOD. I'm sure that's not entirely fair, but like all stereotypes it sticks because it is in part true. Nautica it's more bland design and the low quality stuff they put out for a while. Every once in a while I find myself in a mall bored out of my mind and it looks okay, just not that interesting.

Old 12-06-2018, 09:57 PM

8,322 posts, read 7,601,651 times
No it isn't, neither is most of your list.

Old Today, 12:39 AM

4,084 posts, read 3,624,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
Not now, but arguably when Tommy Hilfiger started the brand with a foundation of preppy classics in the mid-1980s. However, the label moved into a hip hop market and did not hold true to the design aesthetic of a preppy brand with the more urban/street style. It's not a measure based upon ethnicity, as Ralph Lauren has used models of many different ethnic backgrounds, yet still had a singular design ethos of classic fashion that permeated the ranks. At first, Tommy Hilfiger followed suit, capitalizing on a classic look, complete with the old Lion/wreath logo. However, the design language changed, as did the logo, becoming a huge flag (now smaller), and with that the focus of the company shifted away from a classic preppy design language. Compared to Brooks Brothers, J. Press, Ralph Lauren, Lacoste, etc., the current Tommy Hilfiger produces clothes that can sell for a profit, but not the same as the origins of the label. It's more akin to Nautica that was a similar prep-inspired label under David Chu's design in the 1980s, that then morphed into a conglomerate-owned clothes producer.
Don't forget after those racist remarks, the owner made, sales dropped, and the company staggered along for I guess up until recently by selling wash clothes and towels. I didn't even know the company was still around until a few years ago, in Dillards, or some large mall anchor clothing store, and they were shelved on a wall.

Old Today, 12:47 AM

4,084 posts, read 3,624,240 times
This actually makes me wonder, along with another thread; with all these clothes that were preppy or whatever, that are, or were considered urban, that a lot of black culture clothes seems to be taken from wearing "white" clothes. Nautica, TH, skinny jeans, skate shoes, nerd gear and etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty