U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 12:30 PM

5,265 posts, read 704,099 times

Advertisements

There have been many such exposes' over the years.

My approach with clothing or shoes is to go with what looks good and is of good quality and is reasonably (moderately) priced; and if I can get that for $40, then why should I pay $400? I have NEVER been one to buy something just because it is "designer".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 12:58 PM

10,393 posts, read 16,861,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
There have been many such exposes' over the years.

My approach with clothing or shoes is to go with what looks good and is of good quality and is reasonably (moderately) priced; and if I can get that for $40, then why should I pay $400? I have NEVER been one to buy something just because it is "designer".
If a $40 shoe was made of as nice materials and craftmanship as a $400 shoe, I would absolutely agree with you. However, that's not the case.

$400 shoes are not even close to fitting in my fashion budget, but my mother has treated me to them a couple of times, and there is no way you could mistake them for anything you could purchase at Payless.
I'd say the same for most $100 shoes too.

Old Yesterday, 01:27 PM

5,265 posts, read 704,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
If a $40 shoe was made of as nice materials and craftmanship as a $400 shoe, I would absolutely agree with you. However, that's not the case.

$400 shoes are not even close to fitting in my fashion budget, but my mother has treated me to them a couple of times, and there is no way you could mistake them for anything you could purchase at Payless.
I'll take your word for it, as I have never bought any shoes that cost over $50 except for hiking boots. (Maybe that's a good thing because doing so might have forever spoiled me for the cheaper kind.) I have, however, bought shoes that were ORIGINALLY close to $100 a pair, but I honestly could not tell that much of a difference, and they didn't last any longer than the cheap kind.

Old Yesterday, 01:35 PM

10,393 posts, read 16,861,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I'll take your word for it, as I have never bought any shoes that cost over $50 except for hiking boots. (Maybe that's a good thing because doing so might have forever spoiled me for the cheaper kind.) I have, however, bought shoes that were ORIGINALLY close to $100 a pair, but I honestly could not tell that much of a difference, and they didn't last any longer than the cheap kind.
I was you for a long time! I love bargain hunting too.

However, I tore my fascia on my foot once and had a long recovery time, and have probably never really been the same since. I need really good arch support now to walk without pain and between that and my wide toe box, I just can't find anything in the $50 range that fits the bill (except sneakers sometimes).

I don't know if I spend more on shoes now though, I just buy them much less frequently and take better care of them. Probably the most I've paid from my own funds is $170 and I felt very profligate indeed!

Old Yesterday, 02:00 PM

636 posts, read 144,858 times
Payless sure is cashing in on this fake news story.

Old Yesterday, 02:40 PM

3,010 posts, read 4,746,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post

Agreed to an extent. Usually there is an in-between. Essentially, quality tends to flat-line or at least the slope decreases significantly at a certain point while 'luxury' or 'premium' tends to increase the price due more to exclusivity or brand name.

I spend a lot of money on clothes. I consider the difference between that $40 button up at Kohl's and the $125 button up I might buy as night and day in quality, fit, how it wears, and the patterns and fabrics available. But the quality difference between the $125 button up and the $350 designer button up is often marginal. The price point for this effect shifts depending on the item but it is fairly similar across the board. The $50 dress shoes at Kohl's are noticeably cheaper than the $250-$400 pairs. But the $1000 pair at Neiman Marcus is not always noticeably better than the $400 pair.

This is all speaking in generalities too. You really need to pay attention to where things are made and know what to look for to really understand what kind of quality you are getting.

Last edited by jamiecta; Yesterday at 02:48 PM..

Old Yesterday, 05:25 PM

9,533 posts, read 7,467,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
Payless sure is cashing in on this fake news story.
It's not fake news. It was a promotion. The point was to cash in.

Old Yesterday, 05:44 PM

10,829 posts, read 19,241,363 times
Many, many yrs. ago I was able to buy leather shoes at Payless and got lots of compliments and people asking where I had purchased... hasn't been the case in many yrs. though - none around me anymore that I'm aware of but when they were I went in there because I basically had "free money" that would have just about paid for a pair of shoes - couldn't find a single thing I wanted.

Old Yesterday, 08:54 PM

3,074 posts, read 1,858,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Totally. Payless does make attractive looking shoes. But they are not necessarily comfy, well made, or made of nice materials.

I haven't been there in a really really long time. But I did remember also having a few surprisingly long lasting and comfy shoes. I had best results with things that I didn't need to wear for too many seasons. And when I was younger and my feet were less sensitive.
As of a couple of years ago, Payless had gone WAY down in quality, in my opinion.

For one thing, I noticed that their shoes got smaller...I have never needed a "wide" shoe from any brand, although my feet aren't narrow either...regular shoes in regular widths always fit me pretty much perfectly. When I went shopping at Payless a couple of years ago, I noticed that almost all of their shoes in my regular size were WAY too narrow for me.

They looked pretty cheap, too, and felt like they were of lower quality.

I haven't shopped there in a couple of years, though, since I was so turned off by my last experience there. They may be better now.

And I'm far from a "shoe snob." I do buy good-quality workout shoes, horse boots and dress boots. Basic flats, sandals, etc. that I know I'm not going to be wearing too much (or for too long), I don't mind buying from Walmart, Target, etc. etc.

Old Today, 01:15 AM

10,773 posts, read 25,679,101 times
There had to be a level of salesmanship that accompanied the faux boutique because it would not be difficult to discern the materials and quality of the shoes if allowed to inspect on one's own. Rhett & Link did a shoe comparison the other day on their show, and they did better than the fashion influencers. As a marketing stunt, it's hilarious, but I'd also question their definition of "influencer" to know if it's people from YouTube, the blogosphere, etc., i.e., not those with inside knowledge of the shoe/fashion business, since it's not too difficult to tell an inexpensive shoe from a higher priced bridge or designer shoe.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or