U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 02:00 AM

26,991 posts, read 28,412,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
There had to be a level of salesmanship that accompanied the faux boutique because it would not be difficult to discern the materials and quality of the shoes if allowed to inspect on one's own. Rhett & Link did a shoe comparison the other day on their show, and they did better than the fashion influencers. As a marketing stunt, it's hilarious, but I'd also question their definition of "influencer" to know if it's people from YouTube, the blogosphere, etc., i.e., not those with inside knowledge of the shoe/fashion business, since it's not too difficult to tell an inexpensive shoe from a higher priced bridge or designer shoe.
“Influencer” usually means someone with a significant social media following. The vast majority have no knowledge of the industry, crastmanship or anything “technical” about fashion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 06:41 AM

9,290 posts, read 4,059,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
I watched that, funny as hell.

But this does not prove the quality of the shoe, nor touch on the concept of prestige pricing. But it does show how idiotic these "fashion influencers" really are and the severe lack of knowledge they have regarding the products.

I agree 100%. Payless is a horrible store with horrible merchandise in my opinion. I can't even stand the strong chemical smell in there from the crappy shoes. But it was really funny how people were willing to pay over $400 for a $35 pair of Payless Shoes just because they gave the fancy fake store a more enticing name.

Old Today, 06:53 AM

2,395 posts, read 2,140,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
As of a couple of years ago, Payless had gone WAY down in quality, in my opinion.

For one thing, I noticed that their shoes got smaller...I have never needed a "wide" shoe from any brand, although my feet aren't narrow either...regular shoes in regular widths always fit me pretty much perfectly. When I went shopping at Payless a couple of years ago, I noticed that almost all of their shoes in my regular size were WAY too narrow for me.

They looked pretty cheap, too, and felt like they were of lower quality.

I haven't shopped there in a couple of years, though, since I was so turned off by my last experience there. They may be better now.

And I'm far from a "shoe snob." I do buy good-quality workout shoes, horse boots and dress boots. Basic flats, sandals, etc. that I know I'm not going to be wearing too much (or for too long), I don't mind buying from Walmart, Target, etc. etc.

I agree. I have cheap shoes that are ok and comfortable enough but, I found out yrs ago, some shoes are just better than others and one will usually pay for that.
I have rarely found a cheap shoe as comfortable as at least a Merrill.

I've had too many cheaper shoes separate at the heel also.
I won't pay $400 for a pair of shoes but I will frequently spend about $100 but probably most of my shoes are about $80 or so. I like my Skechers slip on sneaks and they average $60.

And I really hate/won't pay to advertise their brand. Last yr I really needed a particular type of black boot. I loved a Michael Kors boot that I found and would have bought except for that stupid huge MK medallion they had on it. Had I bought them, I would have had to have that removed.
I don't mind paying the $ if it's something I really like but I do hate paying that $$ to show a label.

Old Today, 08:54 AM

1,307 posts, read 4,511,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
I am prone to believe this was all an elaborate ad. They even said they paid the influences to show up. I don't think anyone is embarrassed or bought these shoes thinking they were $500+.

This was my thought as well.

Old Today, 12:33 PM

5,689 posts, read 5,446,789 times
I like orthopedic shoes. I got a pair for $30 online and never looked back. Those types of shoes usually go for $200, $250, easily.

Old Today, 12:37 PM

5,689 posts, read 5,446,789 times
Quote:
As of a couple of years ago, Payless had gone WAY down in quality, in my opinion.

For one thing, I noticed that their shoes got smaller...I have never needed a "wide" shoe from any brand, although my feet aren't narrow either...regular shoes in regular widths always fit me pretty much perfectly. When I went shopping at Payless a couple of years ago, I noticed that almost all of their shoes in my regular size were WAY too narrow for me.

I haven't shopped there in a couple of years, though, since I was so turned off by my last experience there. They may be better now.

And I'm far from a "shoe snob." I do buy good-quality workout shoes, horse boots and dress boots. Basic flats, sandals, etc. that I know I'm not going to be wearing too much (or for too long), I don't mind buying from Walmart, Target, etc. etc.
They're not better. Same *&$# they've always sold. You're probably better off with Target.

Old Today, 01:51 PM

10,773 posts, read 25,679,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
“Influencer” usually means someone with a significant social media following. The vast majority have no knowledge of the industry, crastmanship or anything “technical” about fashion.
That is the usual definition, yes. It would be interesting to see how they were segmented by the agency for this campaign, since I have a good friend who works with digital media in advertising and I do know that they have a model that they apply when seeking a particular focus from a PR event.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old Today, 04:09 PM

2,235 posts, read 1,263,245 times
Quote:

We get shoes from Payless every so often. I've had some great shoes from there- comfortable and long-lasting at a decent price. We've also used them a lot for the kids as they were growing up and didn't stay in their shoes very long, anyway.

I do agree that I seem to need "wide" sizes there, even though I don't seem to need that in most other stores. I will say that I usually have better luck with shoes that are comfortable and decent quality at Payless over what I can usually find at Walmart. But I also have really big feet for a woman, and Payless does carry 11s and a lot of stores don't.

Old Today, 06:41 PM

617 posts, read 174,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post

I think that's pretty funny, but a key lesson from economics class that I remember is that sometimes, jacking up a price will result in higher demand. This is an example of that.

Old Today, 07:09 PM

7,029 posts, read 2,555,037 times
There was a news article today where the author seemed to believe that Payless did this stunt to mock the customers who no longer buy their shoes (they've had to close down some stores) and that it's really a problem with Payless. Not the consumers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or