U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 10:23 PM

26,991 posts, read 28,412,014 times

Advertisements

This is an amazing marketing idea.
https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/...e-13431706.php
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2018, 10:38 PM

13,021 posts, read 12,283,742 times
I watched that, funny as hell.

But this does not prove the quality of the shoe, nor touch on the concept of prestige pricing. But it does show how idiotic these "fashion influencers" really are and the severe lack of knowledge they have regarding the products.

Old 11-29-2018, 10:57 PM

569 posts, read 348,185 times
A while back a TV program, like Dateline?? had a piece about eyeglasses. They sent out a half dozen of their assistant with eye problems to get prescriptions and glasses with prices in the 150-250 range.
Then the same people had to get reading glasses from Target, price $ 8-12.
In the end all glasses were examined by the best in the business and interestingly the cheap ones were more accurate ( closer to the prescription). Not only that, but the participants also claimed the cheap glass was easier on their eyes.

Similar stories with high priced wines and $ a 10 bottle of wine from the grocery store.

Apparently, sometimes you DON'T get what you pay for.

Old 11-29-2018, 11:10 PM

26,991 posts, read 28,412,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
I watched that, funny as hell.

But this does not prove the quality of the shoe, nor touch on the concept of prestige pricing. But it does show how idiotic these "fashion influencers" really are and the severe lack of knowledge they have regarding the products.
Totally. Payless does make attractive looking shoes. But they are not necessarily comfy, well made, or made of nice materials.

I haven't been there in a really really long time. But I did remember also having a few surprisingly long lasting and comfy shoes. I had best results with things that I didn't need to wear for too many seasons. And when I was younger and my feet were less sensitive.

Old 11-29-2018, 11:11 PM

7,029 posts, read 2,555,037 times
Those people who bought the high priced shoes at "Palessi" must feel really embarrassed now.

Old 11-29-2018, 11:23 PM

20,441 posts, read 20,634,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Those people who bought the high priced shoes at "Palessi" must feel really embarrassed now.
in fairness, the employees of the fake store were probably really sucking up to the shoppers

Old Yesterday, 09:19 AM

2,395 posts, read 2,140,645 times
I recall an episode of Designing Women yrs ago, they were in an art gallery. Julia set her purse down while she fiddled with her shoe and in the duration, several snobs came by and were just wowing over the purse 'art'. Talking about what the artist meant by this and that and making all kinds of offers to buy it.

Just shows to go ya.

Old Yesterday, 10:22 AM

15,234 posts, read 16,183,777 times
Last year around Halloween I bought a pair of boots at Payless to go with a costume. I wore them all night and they were so comfortable that they ended up being my go-to casual boots all winter. I get lots of compliments on them. They're fake leather, but they look good and feel good, so who cares?

Old Yesterday, 10:30 AM

11,135 posts, read 9,163,126 times
I am prone to believe this was all an elaborate ad. They even said they paid the influences to show up. I don't think anyone is embarrassed or bought these shoes thinking they were $500+.

Old Yesterday, 11:57 AM

13,021 posts, read 12,283,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
I am prone to believe this was all an elaborate ad. They even said they paid the influences to show up. I don't think anyone is embarrassed or bought these shoes thinking they were $500+.
Yes, Payless stated it was an ad, a promotion actually trying to dispel myths about their brand.

The fashion influencers were probably embarrassed, they are "influencers" because they make a claim they know all about the ins and outs of fashion which includes knowledge of products more in-depth than the average person, and people are suppose to follow them for such "expert" advice.

So now they have been duped and their lack of knowledge exposed. They should have easily spotted and covered the craftsmanship and material of the shoe, instead, they demonstrated they have no such knowledge, and they simple proceed in a simplistic, juvenile manner, gawking over the name and look, with zero knowledge of anything else.

It would be like a tire expert pretending they know everything about a tire, but when exposed, everyone finds out they just go off how pretty the tread design is and how famous the name is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or