U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What market segment are most of your clothing purchases?
Economy 7 20.59%
Fast Fashion 1 2.94%
Mid-Range 12 35.29%
Semi-Premium 4 11.76%
Premium 8 23.53%
Luxury 2 5.88%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2018, 05:10 PM

5,179 posts, read 1,467,689 times

Advertisements

Is "fast fashion" a euphemism for "junk"?

I mostly try to buy well-made clothes after some markdowns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2018, 07:33 PM

1,873 posts, read 2,457,191 times
I didn't vote in your poll because I'm not sure I understand the different choices and what they mean. I almost always shop at Anthropologie, Bloomingdales, Johnny Was, Soma, T.J. Maxx and sometimes Dillards. I also like Zappos, Sam Edleman and a few other online shoe places similar to those. I love Bergdorf Goodman, but I don't shop there very often.

I would never buy clothes from Walmart, Sears, Target or JC Penny - I've never found anything in those stores that I liked, so I don't even bother looking. Also, not a fan of Macy's or Belk.

I guess I'd be mid-range or semi-premium? Not sure.

Old 12-02-2018, 08:29 PM

2,550 posts, read 4,506,668 times
I visited one of my best friends in Portland last month and while we were waiting for her husband to come out of a work appointment he had, she took me shopping at Nordstrom's.

What an experience. She only buys high-end designer clothes now. Not the stuff like Calvin Klein, etc. that you can buy in Macy's, but designers I've never heard of. When she was in NYC, she actually was able to visit one of her favorite designer's shops. We're talking $600 pants, $800 shirts, etc. I'd never heard of her so I can't tell you her name. She took me to this special area of the store where the man helping her was swooning over her knowing this designer.

She makes a ton of money and can easily afford to buy clothes like that, and she said she'd rather have a few well-made clothes that last a long time instead of the "almost disposable" clothes most people wear. And I can see her point. But I'm just too casual of a dresser to spend that kind of money on clothes, and no one would see them, anyway.

I'm trying to buy more clothes made in the US, but it's hard. I find most of them at REI, of all places.

Old 12-02-2018, 08:36 PM

460 posts, read 92,646 times
I recognize good fabric and stitching. I am not brand loyal. I like Nordstrom, jjill, REI, North face to LL Bean. I used to like Coldwater Creek but not so much anymore. I don't care for Macy or Penney's at all. I have taken up Thrift store shopping now that I have the time. I need absolutely nothing but I have been having a blast with the treasure hunt aspect. I don't buy trendy stuff as a general rule. I don't like polyester. I have a pretty casual life style these days so maybe I should down grade my vote to semi premium. I do have one Gucci handbag....(evil grin).

Old 12-02-2018, 09:10 PM

4,800 posts, read 7,328,079 times
Note that it seems some are confusing brands with stores. Stores can carry a different range of brands in different segments.

Old 12-02-2018, 10:46 PM

3,446 posts, read 2,953,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
What market segment are most of your clothing purchases?.
I am not sure which "segment" my stuff belongs in. But, almost all of my stuff is from:

Nordstrom
Macys
Lululemon

Some of my work clothes are from Jos. A Bank and my running gear (that isnt from Lululemon) is from Roadrunner sports.

Old 12-02-2018, 11:38 PM

1,501 posts, read 466,497 times
Luxury, but only severely discounted & sometimes 2nd hand. Lasts forever. I've had some classic suits, leather jackets or gowns for decades. Recently, I've had to retire a few silk tees & blouses I've had for 30-yrs cuz they were finally looking a bit worse for wear.

But, the trick is you've got to always remain the same weight, only buy classic styles/colors so they don't go out of style (shoulder pads, double breasted buttons, bolero style or dolman sleeves & it may sit in the closet for 10-15 yrs before the style returns) & either hand wash only or dry clean at home. In 30-yrs, I haven't found a dry cleaner where my clothing came out in the same condition or color it went in... don't know how people find good ones, but in the 16 states I've lived, aside from Boston, where they seem to have a plethora of good dry cleaners, I've never been that lucky. I've had $200 linen suit jackets burned into oblivion.

But, for faddish clothing, like "cute" summery dresses/skirts & the like, I've nothing against fast fashion. Never paid more than $20 for a pair of jeans (cuz I don't really like them & don't wear them often), shorts can be any brand & I'd rather have 50 summery skirts for $5-10/apiece on sale in varying colors/styles than a few pricey ones. When you have that many, they're rotated so often, they last 15-yrs.

And, interestingly, I'll spend more on undergarments than on outerwear. It's closest to my skin, fits better, feels better, lasts longer. I've traveled & had to buy socks or undies at WalMart or Target, just cuz my luggage was lost or my stay was extended, etc., but they never last long, style/color is lacking & often they come out of the pkg with flaws.

I really dislike the feeling of cheap clothing... it's often itchy, inferior materials, bunches up in areas that don't feel comfy, sometimes it's irregular, but the garment tag doesn't state that, the cuts are often not fitted in the waist & the sizes are all over the place... I have everything from size 2 to 10 in cheap shorts... hold up the size 2 & they're larger in the waist by a good 2" than the 10.

I can't afford luxury at full price, but I'll wait & patiently hunt & over the many years have bought designer gowns for $20 at obscure sample sales or backstage at fashion shows, cuz it didn't do well with orders after the show & they decided to retire the piece on the spot.

You can also find haute couture for ridiculous prices, too... I once bought a $4 orange suede dress from a rack that was on its way out the door to the dumpster from a designer's store. Who needs an orange dress, designer or no, right... well, for $4, you can risk taking it home to dye another color to wear... & if that fails, paint & repurpose into something else, like throw pillows, crafts or chair upholstery. The only issue I've found with designer 'bin' or 'backstage shopping' is the haughty attitude you'll get from the sales staff, who know they won't be making any commission on you & your tacky $4 orange suede dress. So be it.

Old 12-03-2018, 12:37 PM

10,776 posts, read 25,705,524 times
Most of my purchases are in the premium and luxury category, I find, especially factoring bridge and diffusion lines.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 12-03-2018, 01:06 PM

1,939 posts, read 828,046 times
Honestly, mostly fast fashion with some mid-range.

Old 12-03-2018, 01:29 PM

27,005 posts, read 28,449,621 times
No pattern, my stuff ranges from economy to fast fashion to mid-range to semi-premium. I am not sure what your breaking points are.

I typically shop at Old Navy, Target, Ann Taylor and Nordstrom. Not very often Macy's it is too stressful. I also go to the outlets. I've been upgrading my staples to Universal Standard and Encircled.

I occasionally get things from Forever 21 and Kohls.

I tend to splurge on accessories and shoes. These are at the high end of my wardrobe choices.

I'll skimp on trendy items. And sometimes I'll invest in my staples, if I can find the right one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or