U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What market segment are most of your clothing purchases?
Economy 7 21.21%
Fast Fashion 1 3.03%
Mid-Range 12 36.36%
Semi-Premium 3 9.09%
Premium 8 24.24%
Luxury 2 6.06%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2018, 01:58 PM

2,103 posts, read 1,366,823 times

Advertisements

Mostly mid-range. I have some economic items, mostly basic tshirt/underware/socks.. I stay the hell away from fast fashion, nothing fits me & even if it does fit me, it doesn't fit me after the first wash. I am on the bigger side so that's out of question for me. Never liked it. Mid-range is perfect for me between INC at Macy to Vera Vera Wang at Khols with few Express in middle. I am good

I have few semi-premium, but its mostly accessories (Fossil purse, MK jacket, CK top). It is not bulk of my wardrobe, few statement piece. I don't even think about brands beyond that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2018, 02:12 PM

7,141 posts, read 2,591,450 times
If I bought all mine and my family's clothing brand new, (for family of 5) we'd go broke or into debt.

Old 12-03-2018, 02:16 PM

15,901 posts, read 13,340,538 times
I dress in field clothes or office clothes. Little in between.

Field clothes are llbean, patagonia, merrell, american giant, etc. Office is more of a capsule and includes some chanel, DK, etc.

Its funny what people go lux or basic on. My underwear is definitely at a higher end than my regular clothes. Cosabella, Morgan Lane, even my regulars are TomboyX. My socks are also higher end then most of my other clothes.

Old 12-03-2018, 06:06 PM

1,501 posts, read 466,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
I dress in field clothes or office clothes. Little in between. Its funny what people go lux or basic on.

Yeah, true, we all have different things we want, need or have to have & it's all over the place. Most people I've known have at least a few items from either high end or low end of the $$ spectrum when it comes to clothing & dress somewhat in the middle, regarding cost & style.

I've known women who have $1K handbags, but never wear anything but track suits & sneakers. I've known guys who wear nothing but baggy chinos, yet own their own tux for special occasions, which I didn't expect. Even those who wear nothing but high end designer clothing, my guess is they own cheap house clothes for cooking or house chores. I've gone to a ballet matinee in a gown, then come home to put on my ex-bf's old Yankees tee & a pair of bike shorts to scrub out the bathroom. I'm clumsy naturally & have ruined so many nice white shirts in my youth by cooking splatter that I'd never attempt to eat or cook in good clothing.

I like good quality as cheap as I can get it, but I'm patient & don't just spend now, so although I probably have 700 items of clothing, it's taken me decades to accumulate it for less than what most pay for WalMart clothes. Others dislike the time taken to bargain shop & just pull from the rack & buy now. Even if I had that kind of income, I don't want to spend it on just a dress or jacket. And, I'm fine buying a 2nd hand leather designer purse for $5 & polishing & cleaning it myself at home with leather cleaner & putting the other $995 in the bank... others want to carry that $1K in cash on their arm.

And, some of it is necessity. I envy those who can buy a pair of cheap shoes online or put on a pair of Payless & they're fine. I've had several foot surgeries & spent many years schlepping around for hours/day on public transit, so take care of my feet. I have a limit... not gonna pay $1,500 for a pair of heels... but, if they don't look good & feel great, I'm not buying them & if a pair does feel good, I'll spend more than most.

Old 12-03-2018, 07:19 PM

778 posts, read 376,291 times
Premium, some semi-premium, some of everything honestly. Luxury mostly for accessories. That is, assuming I am categorizing correctly. Love Nordstrom and Neiman Marcus, Anthropologie. Also will buy from Ann Taylor and Loft, and occasionally a piece from Target. I also love Athleta. But my purses and shoes, I may go full luxury.

Old 12-03-2018, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Typical.Girl View Post
Yeah, true, we all have different things we want, need or have to have & it's all over the place. Most people I've known have at least a few items from either high end or low end of the $$ spectrum when it comes to clothing & dress somewhat in the middle, regarding cost & style.

I've known women who have $1K handbags, but never wear anything but track suits & sneakers. I've known guys who wear nothing but baggy chinos, yet own their own tux for special occasions, which I didn't expect. Even those who wear nothing but high end designer clothing, my guess is they own cheap house clothes for cooking or house chores. I've gone to a ballet matinee in a gown, then come home to put on my ex-bf's old Yankees tee & a pair of bike shorts to scrub out the bathroom. I'm clumsy naturally & have ruined so many nice white shirts in my youth by cooking splatter that I'd never attempt to eat or cook in good clothing.

I like good quality as cheap as I can get it, but I'm patient & don't just spend now, so although I probably have 700 items of clothing, it's taken me decades to accumulate it for less than what most pay for WalMart clothes. Others dislike the time taken to bargain shop & just pull from the rack & buy now. Even if I had that kind of income, I don't want to spend it on just a dress or jacket. And, I'm fine buying a 2nd hand leather designer purse for $5 & polishing & cleaning it myself at home with leather cleaner & putting the other $995 in the bank... others want to carry that $1K in cash on their arm.

And, some of it is necessity. I envy those who can buy a pair of cheap shoes online or put on a pair of Payless & they're fine. I've had several foot surgeries & spent many years schlepping around for hours/day on public transit, so take care of my feet. I have a limit... not gonna pay $1,500 for a pair of heels... but, if they don't look good & feel great, I'm not buying them & if a pair does feel good, I'll spend more than most.
Sorry I couldnít get past 700 items of clothing. I am not really a minilist but holy cow.

Old 12-03-2018, 08:37 PM

1,501 posts, read 466,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Sorry I couldn’t get past 700 items of clothing. I am not really a minilist but holy cow.
LOL. Yeah, it's probably more than 700... but I've had suits & sweaters for decades... same with gowns & most other items. And, I rotate them freely & wear everything in my closet... I'm not one of those who has favorite outfits or even a favorite style... I like to wear it all. I guarantee I've spent less on all of that than most spend in 1-yr on clothing.

If buying good quality & you take care of it & don't go up/down in weight, it doesn't need to be tossed. I only need to buy new tees or light colored shirts due to my never ending need to spill stuff on myself. Whenever I move, it's only clothing I can fit into the car & my 2 folding, rolling garment racks. Maybe a lip liner & a wooden spoon... but just 1 of each.

Old 12-03-2018, 09:50 PM

23,085 posts, read 22,125,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
I'm surprised there are no votes for Fast Fashion, considering the popularity of H&M and Forever 21. I would think Millennials and Gen Z would be in to that stuff.
I've purchased a few things from those places in the past. If you know anything about fabric and clothing construction, finishing, you can find some decent things on the sale rack. I'd never pay full price for them.

Old 12-04-2018, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Typical.Girl View Post
LOL. Yeah, it's probably more than 700... but I've had suits & sweaters for decades... same with gowns & most other items. And, I rotate them freely & wear everything in my closet... I'm not one of those who has favorite outfits or even a favorite style... I like to wear it all. I guarantee I've spent less on all of that than most spend in 1-yr on clothing.

If buying good quality & you take care of it & don't go up/down in weight, it doesn't need to be tossed. I only need to buy new tees or light colored shirts due to my never ending need to spill stuff on myself. Whenever I move, it's only clothing I can fit into the car & my 2 folding, rolling garment racks. Maybe a lip liner & a wooden spoon... but just 1 of each.
Different philosophy I guess. I buy high quality items, classic shapes, and I only have maybe 30-35 items in my nice set of clothes. I havenít tossed or added anything in years. Now my file clothes get worn out, so I have to replace my jeans every 5 years or so, but that likewise is maybe 30 pieces. So my entire wardrobe is less than 10% of yours.

As an aside the average American spends $1700 a year on clothing. If you have 700 pieces to have spent less than what most spent in a year, you would need to have averaged less than $2.50 per item. That is highly improbable. Maybe you mean what the average per spent over a decade.

Old 12-04-2018, 07:03 AM

256 posts, read 88,565 times
Economy is my style daily. I'm retired, an abstract painter who lives in a small town with few restaurants (to dress up for).
Only wear "nice" clothes for doctor visits. I own classic slacks in many basic colors to go with classic tops, lots of black to mix and match.

Wish I could wear scarves the way European women do and alter their look, wearing same clothes, with a scarf. Just not my style.

I bought sequin sneakers to go with my black clothes for Christmas and my January one person show. Posted to great reviews on my Facebook haha. More money spent on quality paint than clothes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or