Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2018, 05:27 PM

12,202 posts, read 7,220,605 times

Advertisements

I noticed I am wearing similar clothes to what I wore in the 1990's and I don't stand out one bit!

Men's fashion the last two+ decades has stagnated. What is going on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2018, 05:30 PM

15,071 posts, read 10,096,890 times
Same with me...

But its not that men's fashion hasn't changed but I haven't changed with them. According to my friends, I still dress fairly nicely... so I don't much mind. For me, its more about practicality and cost effectiveness which has become the priority since having a family.

Old 12-02-2018, 08:07 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,333,607 times
One thing is that some higher-end brands are trying to push slim fit clothes down our throats. That is why I stick with the brands that I trust and I know won't alienate their target audience. I have stocked up a lot the past three years on styles that I like and I think I am good for now.

Old 12-02-2018, 09:23 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,934,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
One thing is that some higher-end brands are trying to push slim fit clothes down our throats. That is why I stick with the brands that I trust and I know won't alienate their target audience. I have stocked up a lot the past three years on styles that I like and I think I am good for now.
I surprised the Thom Browne look has hung on for so long. I see men wearing suits that clearly are too tight or too short. I'm glad my office went dress casual in 2001.

Old 12-02-2018, 09:33 PM

115 posts, read 91,990 times
There is super skinny jeans for men now if you want to try that. The general trend is that clothing is more form fitting than before -- other than that, what else can you do with men's clothing?

Old 12-03-2018, 06:03 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,315,790 times
All the millennials who aren't trying to imitate lumberjacks (sorry, dude, but a flannel shirt and a giant beard don't make you manly; look at those pencil thin arms) are trying to imitate Euro-weenies with their two-sizes-too-small pants and jackets.

I don't remember this being the fashion in the 1990s.

Now in my case, once pleated pants came out in about 1984, I settled on a wardrobe (pretty much traditional preppy) and I do not plan to deviate from it the rest of my life.

Old 12-03-2018, 07:27 AM

4,227 posts, read 6,903,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
I noticed I am wearing similar clothes to what I wore in the 1990's and I don't stand out one bit!

Men's fashion the last two+ decades has stagnated. What is going on?
As usual, men's 'fashion' has had very noticeable changes over the last almost 30 years. Just because your closet has stagnated doesn't mean the rest of the fashion world has stood still. However, currently, 90s fashion is very on trend which may be contributing to what you are seeing.

In general, fashion has changed just like always. However, lots of people don't care about fashion (which is fine - just a point I am making) and their style stagnates by the time they are 30. But the rest of the fashion world moves on ahead for better or for worse.

From my experience I have very distinctive style periods in mind from what I remember being trendy or seeing the fashion industry pushing. Early 90s through maybe 97/98. Then the next iteration from that time period through maybe 2005. Then another shift from 2005 to maybe 2013. And then 2013 to current. There are certainly lots of things that have stayed consistent over that time but LOTS of things have changed too.

Old 12-03-2018, 07:52 AM

3,763 posts, read 5,857,834 times
What I see is that form fitting look is fine if you are a 28-30 waist and maybe 38-40 coat. I have coats and slacks that are still 34 waist that I wear and my coat size is 40-42. Pretty much conservative styles. However, I see some of this tight fitting clothing even on some of Brooks Brothers. I think it will be dated if not already . Since retirement, I go to the gym just to keep from outgrowing my clothes and keep my stomach in check. I am going back and wearing my narrower ties though.

Old 12-03-2018, 09:30 AM

13,714 posts, read 12,424,223 times
It has, actually. Suits are way less baggy. Sure, if you look at a fashion magazine, now vs then you'd see super baggy suits and now you see super slim cut suits.

But for the average guy they are different, just less obviously so. I pulled out an old pair of slacks and could see that they were baggier than the old ones. Same with the suit coat sleeves.

Tie patterns go in and out...While a simple pattern is timeless, Paisley patterns do come and go a bit more, as do others. So does the width of the tie.

Collar styles too; early 2000's, late 90's, big collars...now, they tend to be smaller.

Jeans? The "Fringe Minority" extreme would be Jinco jeans, but Lee Pipes were on the same trend, and even the jeans that were bought from Kohl's were often baggier in cut. Now, we have skinny jeans at the far end of the spectrum, but even Department store jeans for your average guy are a bit trimmer in their cut.

I also think the late 90's especially had more male jewelry.

Old 12-03-2018, 12:50 PM

2,575 posts, read 2,076,033 times
2003 NBA draft vs 2018. Obviously this is more extreme/dramatic than day to day life but just an example.

Mens clothing is more tailored than it was in 90's/early 2000's imo

But 90's inspiration is showing up in current clothing trends again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty