U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2006, 11:26 AM

28,166 posts, read 43,452,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
My husband too is a professional. Makes more than 70,000.00 He is a PM in construction, sees tats all the time, means nothing, usually they just compare!!! I know lots with Masters and bachelors, alot have tats, I think a company would be surprised to find out how many actually do and are just keeping them under wraps, what would there system for hiring be saying then?
Maybe they'll start making us strip at interviews, so they can do a full body-check for ink? Since tattoos are so common with my generation, there are tons of professionals with them these days. Here's a list of professions, held by my tattooed friends and family... lawyer, police officer, nurse, doctor, sous chef, graphic & web designer, engineer, teacher, publisher, game developer, maintenance manager, sales manager, advertising executive, nanny, museum director, librarian, and so on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2006, 11:28 AM

Quote:
I dont care, it is there loss, that's the way I look at it!!! I have plenty of friends , dont need anyone full of misguided judgement around, there is to much of it in the world.
Sorry, I didn't mean it that way! I don't CARE either, but I do notice... some people pretend to turn a blind eye to others, and that's really hard to do.

Old 12-31-2006, 11:29 AM

10,017 posts, read 16,692,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Maybe they'll start making us strip at interviews, so they can do a full body-check for ink? Since tattoos are so common with my generation, there are tons of professionals with them these days. Here's a list of professions, held by my tattooed friends and family... lawyer, police officer, nurse, doctor, sous chef, graphic & web designer, engineer, teacher, publisher, game developer, maintenance manager, sales manager, advertising executive, nanny, museum director, librarian, and so on.
My brother in law is a cop and on swat in Glendale Ca. He was in the Marines, and was a sniper, they all got tats, representing their group, he has like 8 tats on him, yet he is a highly respected cop. It is their loss really, if they dont care to know us, I think we are pretty cool.

Old 12-31-2006, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Sorry, I didn't mean it that way! I don't CARE either, but I do notice... some people pretend to turn a blind eye to others, and that's really hard to do.
I know you didnt.... My husband once saw someone staring at his tribal art on his arm, with this look on their face of disgust, he walks up to them and says " here is a better look, since you seem to be having a hard time seeing it since you were staring so long" I just about died and they turned bright red and walked away. My hubby is so cool.

Old 12-31-2006, 11:33 AM

4,286 posts, read 13,113,982 times
This is a strange conversation........

Some people may get pre-judged if they have a tattoo and we know that, we're just saying it's wrong to judge based on something like that. The reason I say it's a strange conversation is because over the last ten years or so it's become so common for people to have a tattoo that I don't even know how it can be an issue. I don't know where the people live that are making these judgements or opinions but where I live It's extremely common to have tattoos. I mentioned my friend that is tattooed head to toe and works on the stock exchange, how do you explain that? I have also worked in human resources and never even given it a thought if someone had a tattoo. I was only concerned with their experience, attitude and work history. Yes, their appearance is a factor but if they are neatly dressed and clean I wouldn't judge them passed that. How would I know if they had a tattoo anyway, are they interviewing naked? Like I said, strange conversation.....

By the way I have a hugh tattoo and make well over 20,000K a year and I have been managing large businesses for twenty years. All of my employers have seen my tattoo at some point and could care less. I have several friends that make between 200,000 & 300,000k a year and all have tattoos. hmmm.............?

Old 12-31-2006, 11:34 AM

Quote:
My brother in law is a cop and on swat in Glendale Ca. He was in the Marines, and was a sniper, they all got tats, representing their group, he has like 8 tats on him, yet he is a highly respected cop. It is their loss really, if they dont care to know us, I think we are pretty cool.
Amen. I always say "their loss", because people like that are just missing out on meeting some great people... that's why I give everyone a chance, in case they turn out to be cool! I told a story earlier in the thread, which I won't repeat, but it tells how I became close friends with a very scary/odd looking woman. I even had a friend who stripped, and would wear "stripper clothes" & 6-inch stilletos (sp?) to go out... but she was a kind, generous and intelligent woman once you got past her look. Btw, my sister works for the police dept., and says that the majority of her officers are tattooed.

Old 12-31-2006, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post

Some people may get pre-judged if they have a tattoo and we know that, we're just saying it's wrong to judge based on something like that. The reason I say it's a strange conversation is because over the last ten years or so it's become so common for people to have a tattoo that I don't even know how it can be an issue. I don't know where the people live that are making these judgements or opinions but where I live It's extremely common to have tattoos. I mentioned my friend that is tattooed head to toe and works on the stock exchange, how do you explain that? I have also worked in human resources and never even given it a thought if someone had a tattoo. I was only concerned with their experience, attitude and work history. Yes, their appearance is a factor but if they are neatly dressed and clean I wouldn't judge them passed that. How would I know if they had a tattoo anyway, are they interviewing naked? Like I said, strange conversation.....

By the way I have a hugh tattoo and make well over 20,000K a year and I have been managing large businesses for twenty years. All of my employers have seen my tattoo at some point and could care less. I have several friends that make between 200,000 & 300,000k a year and all have tattoos. hmmm.............?
Yup, yup and yup! Like I said before, it's highly common among my (our?) generation, so for most current employers it's no big deal - especially out here in California. Maybe they're more strict about it in rural areas, but the majority of people just don't care anymore. When I was hired at my last job (librarian intern position), I asked my boss if there was a policy on tattoos & piercings... she shrugged and said "whatever, just dress appropriately". I usually covered them anyway, but she really didn't care if anything poked out, and I wore my nose ring & earrings every day.

Old 12-31-2006, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post

Some people are just stuck in a decade that looked down upon these things. Sad really, my grandfather had a tattoo, he was a farmer in Idaho. Good hardworking man, dont really see how it made him less of a person, or even a bad person. Lots of people in WW2 had them, it was normal, they are not bad either. It is sad really. But their loss for not wanting to know them.

Old 12-31-2006, 11:39 AM

436 posts, read 488,720 times
A person's self-expression is OK by me if it doesn't harm anyone else. I do wonder though what all these ink displays will look like years from now on sun-damaged, aged wrinkled skin. Many of us have seen old blotchy military tattoos on the old fellows. I saw two examples of laser removal of gang tattoos, and the result wasn't pretty. I suspect facial tattoos aren't such a big hit in human resource offices. Too bad I'm not a dermatologist about twenty years younger, I'd make a fine living in the coming years. Some ethnic and religious practices look harshly on this body art. I heard that in the Jewish spiritual realm, tattoos are a no-no.

Every generation expresses themselves, and wants to (usually) be different than their parents generation. Funny how the need to be different usually just melds into conforming with the rest of one's generation. My generation had long hair as a form of self-expression. Our parents didn't like the long hair, and your parents probably don't like tattoos (in general).

Last edited by brian_2; 12-31-2006 at 12:01 PM..

Old 12-31-2006, 11:41 AM

I will get probably one more, on my right back shoulder blade. Dont know what yet. I have some tribal art with a blue rose on my right lower calf and a rose on my left one. I am still trying to decide. My daughter who is 9 thinks I should get a fairy, that looks like her of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty