U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2006, 11:11 AM

1,151 posts, read 3,061,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Okay, I finally got my tattoo pics transferred over... I don't have pictures of all of them, but I'm just missing the leaf & celestial scene. I'm attaching it as an album, since it would take up too much space to insert them all!

http://s131.photobucket.com/albums/p...mo980/Tattoos/

(yes, I'm a freckle-monster! )
Nice!! I especially like the Dragon and the Abstract Star w/ Libra.

Are you planning to get more?

I'm planning to get sleeves and also half of my chest in Maori style.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2006, 01:57 AM

28,191 posts, read 43,477,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic View Post
I sort of hate tattoos. Wasn't bad when you had to be a sailor and got drunk, blew'd and tattooed and there was a reason behind it all.

Now days everybody has the most trashy junk permanent to their bodies. I especially hate it on women. The really nice ones have God's canvas and they go mess it up with the Devil's clipart. Leave it alone Babe, that pure raw skin in all its glory will get far more attention.

You can have some cute ones but today most seem to be pure junk. The most creative I've seen over the years was:

1. Guy had a black panther on his back, claw reaching around with nails digging into the shoulder. Blood dipping down his arm. He let it all fade a few years and then would get the blood redone. Looked real, you had to do a double take.

2. Guy had a large W on each butt cheek. When he stood on his head it spelled MOM.

3. Guy had a small rabbit following a trail going between his cheeks. Some cottontails have a strange way of going to the den.

Naw, wasn't born with one, won't die with one. Plus I really hate all that metal rings, crap and bolts sticking out of their heads and where ever. If you really want attention that bad, get a lot of very nice skin and show yards of it. Forget the purple hair and dodads. Even the cavemen loved lots of nice skin, they did their drawings on rock walls.
Well, that's your opinion... and quite frankly, one I've heard waaaaaay too many times. I personally love my ink, and don't really care if others think it's unattractive - anyone who'd judge me based on that, really isn't worth my time anyway. Besides, mine are mostly hidden 95% of the time, so they're mainly just for my eyes. Sorry to sound harsh, but I'm a little tired of hearing the "trashy, ugly on women, etc." comments! And "the Devil's clipart"??? Oh, c'mon, that's taking it a bit far!! If you really believe in God, why did He give us free will and the ability to alter our bodies? Some people have plastic surgery, I prefer to adorn myself with artwork.

I was really hoping the thread wouldn't go this direction, and just stay as a friendly discussion for those with tattoos... I've tried to have tattoo discussions on other message boards, and the same thing happens every time. You're fully entitled to your opinions, but I don't remember that being asked in the thread's question... the original poster simply asked if anyone had them, and if so to post pics. If someone doesn't like dogs, should they invade our thread on that with "dogs are stupid, smelly, ugly, etc."?? Do you see what I mean? It's just a little invasive, and totally unnecessary in my opinion. Okay, I'm done ranting now.

P.S. Those tattoos you mentioned do sound interesting!

Last edited by gizmo980; 12-18-2006 at 02:24 AM..

Old 12-18-2006, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noljos View Post
Nice!! I especially like the Dragon and the Abstract Star w/ Libra.

Are you planning to get more?
Thanks! I actually think I'm done, since there aren't any places (on my body) left that I want tattooed... but I've said that before, so who knows?! I do want to have some of the existing ones worked on, since a few need touching-up. The black cat got infected while healing, so there's some blank space that needs to be filled in... also need to add more shading to the celestial one, and possibly expand the abstract arm thingy.

Quote:
I'm planning to get sleeves and also half of my chest in Maori style.
Wow! That should be cool... definitely post pictures if you get anything in the near future! I once dreamed of having full sleeves, but I just don't want to wear long-sleeved shirts every day at work (no visible tats allowed, generally). If I did have that done, it would need to be very carefully planned out... I admittedly didn't think ahead on all of mine, and wish they were more "cohesive". Part of me wishes I could erase them & start over with a plan - LOL! I do love them individually, though...

Old 12-18-2006, 05:45 AM

1,093 posts, read 3,436,458 times
I have three (no pics at the time, I will see what I can do )
on my right wrist I have a blue and black nautical star with the words "Better Thank Your Lucky Stars" around it in a circle
on my back, right below my neck I have a pink and red butterfly
and on my left ankle I have a heart shaped hand grenade
And there will be more to come

Old 12-18-2006, 07:03 AM

531 posts, read 1,839,109 times
I do not have a tattoo, but want one. I do have a queston I hope someone can help me with.

Who can I get to draw it for me? I know exactly what I want, but cannot even draw a stick figure. I went to one tattoo place and the guy turned my pretty picture into a scary nightmare! So I didn't do it. Also if I get something with color will I have to have it "touched up" a lot?

Old 12-18-2006, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandevder View Post
I do not have a tattoo, but want one. I do have a queston I hope someone can help me with.

Who can I get to draw it for me? I know exactly what I want, but cannot even draw a stick figure. I went to one tattoo place and the guy turned my pretty picture into a scary nightmare! So I didn't do it. Also if I get something with color will I have to have it "touched up" a lot?
A lot of tattoo artists will not draw up tattoos unless you are going to get it done with them. They dont want to put the work into something they are not going to get paid for. If you can, try and use like MS paint or have a friend draw it up... that way you can have an idea when you go into the shop.

With color tats, you don't have to get them touched up that much. I have had my butterfly since I was 18, and I should get it touched up in the next year I think. I really can't see it being that it is on my back, but.. i hear its fading a little bit. But, its also 5 years old.

Old 12-18-2006, 07:33 AM

84 posts, read 347,845 times
Quote:
I actually have 12 tattoos... never thought I'd end up with so many
OK, I'm a virgin when it comes to this. First, how bad is the pain?
Both of my parents are deceased and I'd love to get a tattoo of a picture of them (seen that on Miami Ink). Second, I'm just super paraniod that I'd be the person to catch Hepatitis from this. I know they are supposed to open packages in front of you with fresh needles in them, but I'm just super paranoid.

Last edited by Yac; 12-18-2006 at 08:51 AM..

Old 12-18-2006, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjacksone View Post
Quote:
I actually have 12 tattoos... never thought I'd end up with so many
Both of my parents are deceased and I'd love to get a tattoo of a picture of them (seen that on Miami Ink). Second, I'm just super paraniod that I'd be the person to catch Hepatitis from this. I know they are supposed to open packages in front of you with fresh needles in them, but I'm just super paranoid.
I don't think that the pain is bad. I guess it depends on how your pain threshold is to begin with. I am pretty much a baby.. and I survived..haha

As far as getting Hepatitis from getting a tattoo, as far as I have heard, its few and far between cases where this happens. If you go to a reputable shop then you should be fine. My brother in law gets them done out of his friends house, and he is covered. Literally. I think you run the risk more when you get them done out of a house, rather than from a shop. Happy ink-ing.haha

Last edited by Yac; 12-18-2006 at 08:51 AM..

Old 12-18-2006, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjacksone View Post
Well, pain is subjective, so it's hard for me to say! I personally don't think it's much of anything, but some people think it's excruciating... it also really depends on where you get it, since certain parts of the body are worse than others. The only ones that really hurt me, were the inner-upper arm (near armpit - ouch!!), and parts of the upper back... my anklet was also a doozy, but mainly because that particular artist was very heavy-handed. Some of the others were so painless, I actually started to fall asleep for a few of them. It's also a weird kind of pain, which is very different than what most people expect... feels more like a scratching & vibrating sensation than a medical needle stick.

As for Hepatitis, the only way you'll get that is if you're going to a crappy artist... any decent shop follows the strict health regulations (required for a tattoo license), which include sterilization of the machines, freshly packaged needles for EVERY customer, sterile gloves, etc. As long as you see the needle package being opened & gloves on the artist's hands, there's not much to worry about... it's no less sanitary than going to the dentist, and there aren't many people who worry about getting Hep from them! Oh, and Pamela Anderson is a liar - or just not willing to admit her artist was a hack. Anyway, don't stress over that part if you really want the tattoo!!

Last edited by gizmo980; 12-18-2006 at 09:07 AM.. Reason: They censored a word... rhymes with "thick", means to stick with a needle. :D

Old 12-18-2006, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandevder View Post

As poprocksncoke said, most artists don't want to draw it unless you're getting tattooed from them... but they'll usually do it for you with a deposit of around $20-30. In those cases it acts as a down-payment, where they'll apply the money toward the cost of the tattoo. This way they're guaranteed to at least get something for their time, if you decide not to get it from them. My last few were custom designs, and believe me, I'm an absolutely HORRIBLE artist!! The tattoo artists drew them up for me, following the rules I just said... and if it's a really small and/or simple design, they'll often sketch it on the spot before inking it. They are usually very talented, and will amaze you with how well they can throw it all together! I'm totally jealous of people who can draw, LOL. If you're worried about them doing a crappy drawing again, just ask to see their custom portfolios first... then you can gauge how good their custom work is!

As for colors, at the MOST it might need a touch-up every 10-20 years... if the artist is really bad or light-handed, it might fade more quickly than that. Go look at the pic of my purple rose tattoo, which is 14 years old & has never been worked on since - still looks perfect! I actually think the black ones are fading more quickly, and I've been thinking of getting them touched-up soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty