U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 09:30 AM

3,314 posts, read 12,255,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandevder View Post
I do not have a tattoo, but want one. I do have a queston I hope someone can help me with.

Who can I get to draw it for me? I know exactly what I want, but cannot even draw a stick figure. I went to one tattoo place and the guy turned my pretty picture into a scary nightmare! So I didn't do it. Also if I get something with color will I have to have it "touched up" a lot?
Get comparable pictures of what you want (if you can't draw) get it from the internet, print them out and take it along with your ideas to the tattoo shop. The person will need to draw the tattoo in order to tranfer the outline onto your body. Have him/her draw up a couple of versions. If they won't/can't do that for you, run (don't walk) from that store. Most importantly ask around and gets lots of references before you have anyone touch you. Take it from me, I have a couple of tatttoos that look like a 4 year old put them on me with a crayon. DO YOUR HOMEWORK FIRST! As far as having color touched up, there is no set answer. Much of how a tattoo turns out and lasts(especially nowdays with better inks) relies on after care. Follow the artists directions to the letter. I have a tattoo that was done by Chris Jordan in 1974 and it still looks pretty good and it's on my right bicep so it gets plenty of sun, I have another that was done by another artisit in 1985 in an area that is normally covered and it looks like crapola. My nephew got a tattoo about a year ago and didn't follow instructions. He scratched at it (DONT SCRATCH THE TATTOO ESPECIALLY WHEN ITS SCABBING OR PEELING) and exposed it to the sun too soon. It was a pretty big piece on his shoulder that basically looks like a blob now. He will need to go back and have alot of work done to fix it. Once again look around, see the artists work on other people and remember they don't wash off. Good luck

Last edited by exhdo1; 12-18-2006 at 09:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2006, 12:21 PM

14,874 posts, read 36,236,200 times
Don't have one and never really wanted one. Hubby keeps saying he is going to but I know he won't. LOL!!! What I have seen are some married couples getting their ring finger tattooed as a sign of total committment. I thought that was pretty cool. We have a Bible study teacher that did this as a surprise for his wife. Total clean cut guy, straight-laced. He had a terrible time trying to find someone to do it for him. I'm sure it has to hurt there being there is no fat in that area. OUCH!!! My sis has one on her ankle. It's very, VERY small and it's of the letters of her soriority (and this is from a BAPTIST university, LOL!!!!).

Anyway, my running joke w/ all of the belly button piercings, tattos around belly buttons (young ladies doing this before getting pregnant ), and the silicon implants............. one day when were all old and living in the nursing homes there are going to be lots of little Tiffany's and Brittany's with fake boobs and tattoos. LOL!!!

Old 12-18-2006, 05:53 PM

4,286 posts, read 13,112,370 times
Hope this doesnt scare anyone.

It's a large cover up of a butterfly I had years ago.
Attached Thumbnails
Tattoos-tattoo.jpg  

Old 12-18-2006, 05:59 PM

1,151 posts, read 3,060,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post

Scared? Nah! That's actually a pretty cool tat. Great cover up. Is that on your back?

Old 12-19-2006, 05:25 AM

4,286 posts, read 13,112,370 times
Yes that's on my back, thanks.

I had a small butterfly there I had done when I was 16 and it faded a lot so about six years ago I did this cover up but it's much larger. I was disappointed with the color mix when it was finished and I've been looking for someone to fix it. Everyone I've spoken with said I'd have to do another cover up over that but I don't think I could take the pain again. This was three sessions three hours each. If I covered this it would probably take most of my back.

Old 12-19-2006, 06:18 AM

28,166 posts, read 43,444,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post

That's pretty cool! What would you call that? It looks like a combination between Medusa and a Mermaid... I'm also impressed that it's a cover-up, since I can't see any trace of the original design. I've thought of having one or two covered up, but they're just too big & dark - don't want to end up with a giant black tribal design, which is all that would work!

Old 12-19-2006, 06:20 AM

531 posts, read 1,838,209 times
Thank you everyone for your quick replies!

I have no problem paying a "deposit" for my picture to be drawn out first. I would rather see it and be happy with it now rather than regret it later. The place I went to before charged me $10 just to draw it and that was fine, but he could not draw what I wanted...he drew the work he wanted to do. He was an amazing artist, but it was in a style that was not "me".

OK one more question...Is there a website or a way to compare the work of a tattoo artist. I know a place that is very reputable, but am not familiar with each individuals work. Would I have to go to the place and look through all of their pictures?

Old 12-19-2006, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandevder View Post
Thank you everyone for your quick replies!

I have no problem paying a "deposit" for my picture to be drawn out first. I would rather see it and be happy with it now rather than regret it later. The place I went to before charged me $10 just to draw it and that was fine, but he could not draw what I wanted...he drew the work he wanted to do. He was an amazing artist, but it was in a style that was not "me".

OK one more question...Is there a website or a way to compare the work of a tattoo artist. I know a place that is very reputable, but am not familiar with each individuals work. Would I have to go to the place and look through all of their pictures?
Unless you can find their individual website (which most larger shops have these days), you will have to go in person & ask for portfolios. I think that's best anyway, since you get to meet the artists and scope out the shop. Each artist should have their own portfolio, and they're more than happy to let you compare... they won't be insulted if you select one artist over another, since everyone has a different style.

If you want additional shop recommendations, there are websites that have these, or you can look in tattoo magazines - they have directories of reputable artists. I'm not sure exactly where you live, but I might have suggestions too!

Old 12-19-2006, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exhdo1 View Post
As far as having color touched up, there is no set answer. Much of how a tattoo turns out and lasts(especially nowdays with better inks) relies on after care. Follow the artists directions to the letter. I have a tattoo that was done by Chris Jordan in 1974 and it still looks pretty good and it's on my right bicep so it gets plenty of sun, I have another that was done by another artisit in 1985 in an area that is normally covered and it looks like crapola. My nephew got a tattoo about a year ago and didn't follow instructions. He scratched at it (DONT SCRATCH THE TATTOO ESPECIALLY WHEN ITS SCABBING OR PEELING) and exposed it to the sun too soon. It was a pretty big piece on his shoulder that basically looks like a blob now. He will need to go back and have alot of work done to fix it.
Good advice... I should have included this in my answer! Aftercare is VERY important, from how it heals to how you maintain it. With a new tattoo, I personally use the method of "LITFA" - Leave it the F--- Alone. For the first week or so, I simply rinse it gently with a hypoallergenic soap (usually kid's liquid soap) & water once or twice a day... and otherwise keep it dry & uncovered. Some people use healing products, but I warn everyone to be careful with those, especially if you have sensitive skin. Everyone talked about A&D ointment, so I tried it on one of my tattoos... within 5 minutes it started to literally bubble, and became seriously infected. Took about 2-3 months to heal completely, and I was left with ink damage that still needs to be fixed. Anyway, I'd just tell people to be aware of your body & how it reacts to everything! Oh, and once it's healed, you just have to keep from overexposing it to the sun... artists recommend using sunblock, which is good advice even for the non-tattooed.

Old 12-19-2006, 06:57 AM

P.S. The rule of not scratching seems simple, but those of us with tattoos know it isn't! Man, when those new tats get to itching... it's worse than a Chinese water torture! I usually smack it lightly, or gently rub some water and/or lotion on top. Better not to touch it at all, but sometimes this is necessary for sanity reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty