U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 07:37 AM

4,286 posts, read 13,115,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
That's pretty cool! What would you call that? It looks like a combination between Medusa and a Mermaid... I'm also impressed that it's a cover-up, since I can't see any trace of the original design. I've thought of having one or two covered up, but they're just too big & dark - don't want to end up with a giant black tribal design, which is all that would work!
I call it my scary mermaid.

I know the cover up is always much bigger than the original, so you have to really want it and not mind a tattoo that big.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2006, 10:04 AM

7,047 posts, read 15,990,548 times
If you wanted a "nice friendly discussion" about tattoos, that's not necessarily what you will get in this Forum. There are a lot of people in society that do like tattoos, but then again, there are also a lot of people that don't. The wife and I (older couple @ 57/58) don't really like most of them that the younger generation have today. The "military type" ones are ok, but the big ones that women have put on their lower back......YUK! Just remember....this is our opinion (and we are entitled to our opinions). Some big companys won't hire people that have visible tattoos and to much body piercings. The normal girls ear piercing is fine, but other piercings are a "no". If I owned a company, I would not hire anyone with visible tattoos or body piercings. And, I don't care how experienced they are.
If you like your tattoos and/or body piercings......fine, but that doesn't mean everyone has to like them.

Old 12-19-2006, 11:14 AM

28,185 posts, read 43,461,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
If you wanted a "nice friendly discussion" about tattoos, that's not necessarily what you will get in this Forum. There are a lot of people in society that do like tattoos, but then again, there are also a lot of people that don't. The wife and I (older couple @ 57/58) don't really like most of them that the younger generation have today. The "military type" ones are ok, but the big ones that women have put on their lower back......YUK! Just remember....this is our opinion (and we are entitled to our opinions). Some big companys won't hire people that have visible tattoos and to much body piercings. The normal girls ear piercing is fine, but other piercings are a "no". If I owned a company, I would not hire anyone with visible tattoos or body piercings. And, I don't care how experienced they are.
If you like your tattoos and/or body piercings......fine, but that doesn't mean everyone has to like them.
I never said everyone had to like them... read my post again, where I said everyone's entitled to their opinions - and I do understand and respect them. What I questioned was the motive for stating this, in a thread that wasn't intended for that purpose. Everyone has opinions, but do we all feel the need to bash people for no reason? If someone starts a thread on owning Harley-Davidsons, I'm certainly not going to jump in with all the reasons why I hate motorcycles... it's just not necessary, and actually kind of rude. Whatever happened to common courtesy?

Btw, I'm a professional in a "conservative" field (reference librarian), and have never been given a hard time about my tattoos & piercings... the ink is usually covered, but my last job didn't even make me remove the nose ring. More power to you for not hiring "modified" people, but that's not always the case. And most intelligent employers will judge hires on their qualifications, not some ink they have on their body. Many other librarians are inked, and some quite visibly so... it doesn't affect how they perform their job, and I personally think that's all that matters.

Old 12-19-2006, 12:18 PM

7,047 posts, read 15,990,548 times
Doing a thread on tattoos and body piercing can be (and is) a very "touchy" subject to people who have them and don't want to hear "bad" things about them and "touchy" to people who don't necessarily like the look. There are a lot of parents out there that absolutely will NOT allow their kids to get tattoos/body piercings while living under "their" roofs. There are parents that get absolutely discusted when their teen sneaks out and has it done. Then again, their are parents who don't care how their kids look.
I wasn't trying to "bash" anyone.......only stating "our" facts of what we like/don't like. If someone started a thread on how much they liked Harley's and a person wants to reply by saying, "I hate motorcyles" or "Ninja's are the best", they should be allowed to state that.
Please remember, whatever kind of thread you start on any Forum, you will most likely get "good" and "bad" replies.......just be ready at any time for BOTH.
I was in professional rodeo for years and seen very little tattoos/body piercings in the arena. The ones that I did see, the rodeo announcer would make a "kidding" little remark about. I have worked in Livestock Show Rings at some major State/County Fairs and have never seen the tattoo/piercing look either.
Anyway, have a nice day.

Old 12-19-2006, 12:23 PM

4,489 posts, read 6,658,043 times
I never been fond of the "tramp-stamp" tattoo on women!

Old 12-19-2006, 12:24 PM

1,093 posts, read 3,435,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Grass Fever View Post
I never been fond of the "tramp-stamp" tattoo on women!
I have them. Everywhere. It's hot.
haha

Old 12-19-2006, 12:26 PM

4,489 posts, read 6,658,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poprocksncoke View Post
I have them. Everywhere. It's hot.
haha
The "tramp-stamp" refers to the tattoo that's above your butt-crack/lower back region.

BTW-my wife has tattoos so i tease her about them.

Old 12-19-2006, 12:30 PM

1,093 posts, read 3,435,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Grass Fever View Post
The "tramp-stamp" refers to the tattoo that's above your butt-crack/lower back region.

BTW-my wife has tattoos so i tease her about them.
I have cracks everywhere. With a tattoo above them all.
haha, sorry.. I am in a weird mood today, don't mind me.

Old 12-20-2006, 03:18 AM

28,185 posts, read 43,461,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Doing a thread on tattoos and body piercing can be (and is) a very "touchy" subject to people who have them and don't want to hear "bad" things about them and "touchy" to people who don't necessarily like the look. There are a lot of parents out there that absolutely will NOT allow their kids to get tattoos/body piercings while living under "their" roofs. There are parents that get absolutely discusted when their teen sneaks out and has it done. Then again, their are parents who don't care how their kids look.
And then there are parents who do care, but wouldn't disown or abandon their child because of it... I got my first tattoo at age 16, without my parent's permission, and they were less than happy! But they weren't about to throw me out on the streets, since they do understand the meaning of "unconditional love". I was still doing well in school, music, ice skating, and all of my other activities - and they had the common sense to realize that's what really mattered. Besides, not much you can do once it's already there.

Quote:
I wasn't trying to "bash" anyone.......only stating "our" facts of what we like/don't like. If someone started a thread on how much they liked Harley's and a person wants to reply by saying, "I hate motorcyles" or "Ninja's are the best", they should be allowed to state that.
Please remember, whatever kind of thread you start on any Forum, you will most likely get "good" and "bad" replies.......just be ready at any time for BOTH.
I was in professional rodeo for years and seen very little tattoos/body piercings in the arena. The ones that I did see, the rodeo announcer would make a "kidding" little remark about. I have worked in Livestock Show Rings at some major State/County Fairs and have never seen the tattoo/piercing look either.
Anyway, have a nice day.
Well, good for them. Being a librarian is a bit different from working in a rodeo... nothing wrong with rodeo work of course (actually think it's cool, and I even used to barrel-race!), but to compare us to them is silly. I'm not saying we're "better", but it's a totally different type of job, which has very specific educational requirements. And the fact that we apparently care less about tattoos is interesting, and should crush some of the stereotypes people have. Don'tcha think??

Anyway, like I said, you're fully entitled to your opinions & have the right to state them... but I'm still not sure why you felt the need, or didn't realize how insulting your comments were. Telling someone who's inked that you find it "disgusting" or "trashy", is as insulting as going up to someone on the street and saying "hey, you have a really ugly hairdo!!... and that outfit?? My goodness!!" Maybe you would do that, but I personally believe in being respectful and considerate of others - until they disrespect me, that is. Oh, and I was 100% ready for this, since as I stated, it happens EVERY time I try to discuss tattoos online... it's getting old, quite frankly.

Last edited by gizmo980; 12-20-2006 at 04:03 AM..

Old 12-20-2006, 05:32 AM

4,286 posts, read 13,115,900 times
gizmo - I understand everything your saying. Some people on here read a thread and even though it might be a subject that has nothing to do with them , they like to put in their two cents. Also, I found there are some people that are sitting home bored, I guess and want to start a debate or argument just because they can.

I also agree everyone has a right to their own opinion but if anyone judges someones character based on a tattoo is narrow minded. People that judge based on looks at all, don't have a clue. The guy that did my tattoo has sleeves and works on Wall Street, he's also an artist. A good friend of mine is tattooed from her neck down and is a broker on Wall Street, in fact her father owns a seat there.

People worry too much what others are doing instead of worrying about what their doing. They should pay more attention to themselves and try to be a better human-being instead of concerning themselves with things like judging people's tattoos.

When I had my first tattoo at 16 my grandmother saw it and said oh no what if you meet a guy that doesn't like that and won't marry you because of it? First of all I realize this is just a different generation way of thinking, which is ok but I said if he doesn't want to marry me because of a tattoo, do you think I want to marry him? She agreed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty