U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 01:55 PM

405 posts, read 1,130,586 times

Advertisements

I am not the 'tattoo police'. I am just someone in middle management at a conservative institution who would find a reason to disqualify a job candidate who had visible tattoos or piercings that my customers could see. Remember customers? They pay the bills and keep us in business. If the bulk of my customers would object to any piercings or 'body art' then I would not hire anyone who had either. I would find a valid excuse not to hire them, because I'm sure that if I said "I'm not hiring you because of your visible tattoos" that some subversive, liberal group like the ACLU would try to sue me.

You may not like it - but that's the way it is today. It happens every day, all over the country (well, maybe not in CA).

So go on with your nice conversation I won't post here anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2006, 01:55 PM

28,185 posts, read 43,469,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyandMarried View Post
Well ..... I though it was about how people feel about tattoos. When I went back and looked at the beginning I now see it's for showing pictures of your tattoos.
Okay, I take back what I said above... it just seems that people see the word "tattoo" and immediately step in with judgemental opinions. As someone who's seen this happen many times before online, it just gets really old! Not to mention, it's always the same comments and arguments... a little creativity would be nice, lol.

Quote:
Well, as someone else here said - you should be prepared for all posts, good and bad.
As I said earlier, we unfortunately are... I understand how message boards work, but there are certain discussions you get sick of re-hashing. And if people are going to make negative comments, we do have a right to respond and defend our positions - right?

Old 12-20-2006, 01:56 PM

1,093 posts, read 3,436,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I know, isn't it?? My sister works as a lawyer for the police department (and has one tattoo, fyi), and many of her officers are inked... there's one REALLY gorgeous cop, who has a full sleeve that pokes out of his uniform. Can we say yummy???
POST PICTURES!!! hel-lo?!?!

Old 12-20-2006, 02:00 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,292 posts, read 14,576,997 times
oooppppsss. I never went back to the beginning. It's 8 pages!!! so I jumped in on the latest posts. :-( Pics are good.

Old 12-20-2006, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyandMarried View Post
I am not the 'tattoo police'. I am just someone in middle management at a conservative institution who would find a reason to disqualify a job candidate who had visible tattoos or piercings that my customers could see. Remember customers? They pay the bills and keep us in business. If the bulk of my customers would object to any piercings or 'body art' then I would not hire anyone who had either. I would find a valid excuse not to hire them, because I'm sure that if I said "I'm not hiring you because of your visible tattoos" that some subversive, liberal group like the ACLU would try to sue me.
As I said before, I also work in a conservative field... and one that also happens to be EXTREMELY customer-oriented. It's not a profit type of customer, which is why we refer to them as "patrons", but we still need to serve them effectively. I actually had a job interview this morning at a public library, and one question they asked was regarding my customer service abilities... since most of my jobs have involved this, or another type of service (like teaching), it was an easy question for me to answer.

Quote:
You may not like it - but that's the way it is today. It happens every day, all over the country (well, maybe not in CA).
LOL... I've actually lived in other states, including Oregon (also liberal, I know), Maryland, Pennsylvania, and more rural parts of California. They might be more conservative about most things, but I still think a good employer would be reasonable about this issue. And I managed to find work easily in all of those states - except Maryland, since I was only 7 when we moved from there.

Quote:
So go on with your nice conversation I won't post here anymore.
Thanks, but don't feel we're running you off or anything... I welcome a healthy debate, as long as the person isn't a complete moron & willing to listen to other's opinions!

Old 12-20-2006, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poprocksncoke View Post
POST PICTURES!!! hel-lo?!?!
Tee-hee. You mean pictures of the cop, right? I think I actually do have a picture of him somewhere, but I'd have to send it via PM... don't wanna mess with a cop's privacy, after all - though I would like to.

Old 12-20-2006, 02:09 PM

1,093 posts, read 3,436,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Tee-hee. You mean pictures of the cop, right? I think I actually do have a picture of him somewhere, but I'd have to send it via PM... don't wanna mess with a cop's privacy, after all - though I would like to.

My husband is getting a huge dragon done on his back soon. Going to have the wings on his shoulder blades... its going to be HOT (they need to make a little drooling smiley..haha)

Old 12-20-2006, 05:49 PM

1,151 posts, read 3,061,348 times
I originally started this thread to look at others ppls tattoos, show off my own and share new ideas. But it's actually kind of cool to see ppls tats and kind of get more info on that person's background and maybe enlighten the folks who more than likely would have a bad perception of ppl like us. I guess what I'm saying is never judge a book....

Old 12-20-2006, 05:49 PM

4,286 posts, read 13,117,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poprocksncoke View Post

My husband is getting a huge dragon done on his back soon. Going to have the wings on his shoulder blades... its going to be HOT (they need to make a little drooling smiley..haha)
I love dragons.....my girlfriend has a dragon that starts at her shoulder and then wraps around her body all the way down to her feet. I don't think I could take that much pain.

Old 12-20-2006, 06:10 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,148,330 times
I always wanted a dragon perched on the earth with stars and Lightning in the Black backdrop and a smile on the dragon. Can't find an artist to do it though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty