U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2018, 04:09 PM

4,807 posts, read 7,342,584 times

Advertisements

As everyone knows, I love wearing pink, and I try to take real good care of my pink shirts. Typically, to dry my polo shirts, I hang dry them indoors.

However, I will be traveling to Puerto Rico, and I was wondering, unless I can hang dry them indoors as well, what is the typical lightfastness of pink dyes in clothing? Do they fade like red dyes do? Does it make a difference if it is an orange-toned pink or a purple-toned pink? Most of the shirts I plan on bringing will be Fairy Tale, which is a light purple-toned pink. I would presume the purple-toned pinks might be more fade-resistant than the orange-toned pinks. I just wonder if my shirts will turn a pale lavender (almost white) from the sun with most of the red portion of the dye fading away.

I really want to bring my pink shirts without the fear of them fading in the sun. I generally don't put my polo shirts in the dryer since I don't want them to shrink.

Last edited by Pink Jazz; 12-09-2018 at 04:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 02:20 PM

3,450 posts, read 2,960,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
Typical lightfastness of pink dyes in clothing

However, I will be traveling to Puerto Rico, and I was wondering, unless I can hang dry them indoors as well, what is the typical lightfastness of pink dyes in clothing?
Dude, what the heck do you mean by "lightfastness"?

Old Yesterday, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
Lightfastness is fade resistance from sunlight. I don't want my pink shirts to fade in the sun, which is why I hang dry them indoors.

Old Yesterday, 04:34 PM

3,021 posts, read 4,761,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
in his defense, it's a standard industry term for anything with dye or pigment but especially for textiles and manufacturing.

Old Today, 06:34 AM

3,270 posts, read 2,874,752 times
I don't know how much of an issue it is. How long do you plan to be there? I think you could take 2 or 3 shirts and rotate them over the course of the trip with knowledge that you are sacrificing those shirts. Or you could take a shirt for each day and wash them when you get back. The stronger sun may not even be an issue.

Old Today, 07:53 AM

4,176 posts, read 3,459,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
As everyone knows, I love wearing pink, and I try to take real good care of my pink shirts. Typically, to dry my polo shirts, I hang dry them indoors.

I really want to bring my pink shirts without the fear of them fading in the sun. I generally don't put my polo shirts in the dryer since I don't want them to shrink.

Can you hang them out in the evening somewhere after the sun goes down?

Old Today, 10:14 AM

21,712 posts, read 22,992,066 times
Won't you be wearing them in the sun? Is hanging them in the sun more of an issue?

Old Today, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Won't you be wearing them in the sun? Is hanging them in the sun more of an issue?
Depends on how long they take to dry. While the Advantage Polos might dry quickly, the Windward Interlock Polo (which is my favorite polo shirt in Fairy Tale pink) may take a little longer.

Old Today, 11:46 AM

I decided the Christmas gift I will get my grandmother will be a clothes drying rack. I am pretty sure she will like it, and I can use it while I am there. I have ordered it from Amazon and will have it shipped directly to her house.

Old Today, 02:22 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,618,659 times
Please don't give your grandmother a clothes drying rack for Christmas.

That may be the WORST gift I've ever heard of in my entire life.

Horrible, tacky, tasteless, and selfish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or