U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2018, 10:08 AM

32,462 posts, read 39,772,970 times

Advertisements

One wool topcoat and a removable lining trench coat.
Two or three parkas with Thinsulate® filling. One of them has a removable Mylar lining.
Three or four lined jackets good down to around 30° if there's no wind.
Three hunting parkas with Gore-Tex and Thinsulate/Primaloft filling. Two of them can be taken down and only the shell used.
A Woolrich classic plaid coat.

I bought a heavy Carhart hooded coat a few years ago but my youngest son appropriated it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2018, 11:01 AM

25,012 posts, read 60,229,036 times
Depending on what you call "winter" jacket.

I have 3 dress trench coats for business/formal wear - I mostly wear the leather duster and will likely get rid of at least one of the cloth ones. One heavy puffy coat for being out when it is super cold. One leather bombers jacket for more casual wear, another casual but nice looking warmish coat, Three rugged work coats of various heaviness and various levels of stains. I have a sailing jacket/shell that I wear for skiing with layers of turtleneck, kinit sweater, light jacket underneath so I can shed what gets too hot.

When you get down to those plasticy jackets you toss on when it is in the high 40s, I do not know how many I have. People keep giving them to me - probably 20 of those. I need to go through and donate 90% of them to salvation army.

I have two full body "jackets" like mechanics wear when working out in the cold. I bought one and at the same time someone bought one for me as a gift - we must have both seen the same sale.

80% of the time I simply wear a full length leather duster. It is usually sufficient for any purpose except hard/messy work or active endeavors. It has a zip in fleece liner someplace, but i have not seen it in years. I could probably be fine with that, one heavy work coat, and the super warm puffy coat.

Old 12-10-2018, 11:03 AM

9,645 posts, read 13,523,481 times
I haven't lived in a really cold climate for years, but when I did I basically always had two winter coats. One was for 'going back and forth', usually a nicely trimmed wool or cloth coat, the other was usually a sturdy waterproof hooded parka meant for staying outside to work or play for a while.

Old 12-10-2018, 11:03 AM

25,012 posts, read 60,229,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post

And saints preserve us from the form-fitting horizontally ribbed ones that make you look like a giant segmented annelid. Remember, too, you don't WANT a winter coat to fit tightly. That air space, that's insulation.

And WEAR A DARN HAT!!!
The ones that crack me up are the currently trendy diamond quilted puffy coats. They look great on most women with any kind of figure at all. On men - well they look like they belong on a woman with any kind of figure at all.

Old 12-10-2018, 11:19 AM

Location: Follow the oil exhaust cloud until you run out of gas, then turn left
866 posts, read 252,945 times
One - a Joe Rocket "Atomic 4.0" that's almost 6 years old, that I wear with an hoody. All you really need and it gets fairly cold here at wintertime.

Old 12-10-2018, 11:33 AM

2,257 posts, read 851,870 times
One grey wool knee-length fitted dress coat and one hip-length down coat.

Old 12-10-2018, 11:36 AM
Status: "calm and serene and planning nothing" (set 3 hours ago)

13,306 posts, read 17,882,149 times
one knee length wool coat that belonged to my late father , I wear it a lot . One short coat and 2 or 3 knee length sweaters and a couple of short sweaters . I know I probably have more winter clothes than I need but really women can never have too many clothes right ladies ?

Old 12-10-2018, 11:44 AM

554 posts, read 261,590 times
I have three that I wear regularly. One is a jacket that is my go-to daily when it's not terribly cold, so anything from 5° and above. Then I have my down jacket that I wear when it's really cold, like when we're in the negatives. I have a wool coat that I wear when I'm dressed up and going somewhere nicer, like a school function for my kids, or meeting in town.

I also have a larger coat that I wear when it's cold and snowing buckets outside, but I don't wear it too often.

Old 12-10-2018, 12:28 PM

5,721 posts, read 5,474,909 times
Three but I only wear one, and that is usually the newest one. The other two are just there. If I go a really long time without wearing something I'll just give it away.

Old 12-10-2018, 02:13 PM

5,517 posts, read 6,493,638 times
It can get to more than 25F below zero here, so I have a variety of Winter coats. What I wear varies with temperature and activity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or