U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 03:07 PM

2,107 posts, read 1,371,575 times

Advertisements

Wow at the jacket collections most have. years ago when I first started working, there was a very well dressed coworker who told me he had 6 different coats for work & rotates around them. I was so surprise that people had that many. Of course I was 22, fresh out of college and he was most likely in his 40s. I didn't realize things like good coat can accumulate over time. In 10 years I might be him.

Based on comments, I am going to aim for 3 winter coat. I purchased a down coat in red this weekend. I will save it as fancy wear for now because it is new. Use my old jacket for lighter winter days or for days I am layering with fleece jacket. Will be looking out for wool jacket on sale in January or next year January to complete to set.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 03:15 PM

19,432 posts, read 12,826,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Lots, not sure of the actual number. Some for style reasons, but mostly different weights/degrees of warmth depending on need. What I need to wear to go back and forth from the parking lot to my office is different than what I need if I'm going to be outdoors in cold weather going for a short walk around the block vs. a longer hike vs. being outside to shovel snow vs going to an outdoor shopping center. So it's not really about matching the style to the occasion, it's about matching the functionality to the occasion. Since I've always lived in places that get real winters, I've had lots of time to accumulate many coats and jackets over the years, and unless they get torn or stained or otherwise worn out, I don't usually get rid of them even when I find something new that I want to get.
Yes.

Old Yesterday, 04:42 PM

5,032 posts, read 2,632,829 times
Jacket? One. Coats---two, one dress coat and one regular coat. Oh---I have another long coat-goes to my calves--I wear that when shoveling, playing in the snow.

Old Yesterday, 09:53 PM

10,536 posts, read 7,662,801 times
A couple and they're in storage in CT.

Old Today, 06:47 AM

362 posts, read 104,333 times
I have 3 but none of them are jackets. What I call a jacket is an outer layer that stops at the hip. In my area, that wouldn't work. I wear full-length outerwear (coats). Where I live, winters are cold with snow, sleet, and nasty cold rain. Temps can range from 0-10 at night to 40's during the day. Therefore, one coat won't cover all of these weather types. I have a heavy fairly bulky black down coat (not a jacket) with a big oversized hood for mornings when I commute to my professional job in temps of 0-10 degrees with biting wind or blowing snow. I have a waterproof black full length parka for days when the temp is more moderate (30's-40's) but it's raining and sleeting. The down coat would be too heavy and doesn't protect against water. I also have a slimmer, lighter weight down coat in a pretty color for nicer functions where the heavy black coat with a hood would look too bulky.

The multiple coats are necessary from a functionality standpoint not because I felt like buying more coats.

Old Today, 09:26 AM

15,908 posts, read 13,360,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post
Those who get real winter that last few months with snow & below freezing weather, how many winter jackets do you own/use on regular base? I use to follow the theory of "I just need one, use it everyday, until it dies. Then replace it with a new one". I use this theory for shoe, jackets, purse..etc

But lately I become aware of style and fashion and variety & realize people around me have multiple of these items. That my way of life, is not the norm. So how many do you actively use and how many sits in back of your closet for "fancy event". Not counting the "i am saving it for when i lose weigh jacket" because i have those & they are useless.
People who live in places that get really cold typically have layers. Being a new englander by birth and training it may appear I have multiple jackets but it is just that I have one system and wear different parts of it. I have an inner jacket which is similar to a fleece (though I will never by microfiber again and is thus technically a sweater) which I wear most days. If it is rainy, I may just wear the outermost shell, if its cold and wet I will wear both the shell and the fleece. If it is really cold, I have a down vest that zips in but I frequently wear just the vest with a sweater in the earlier parts of the fall.

As for "fancy event" I have a wool peacoat that I make do with for anything formal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or