U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 09:25 PM

28,166 posts, read 43,444,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Don't most of them wear T-shirts?
Yeah - bright orange ones with an owl on them, LOL.

Quote:
Seriously though...couldn't they buy "men's" shirts at big and tall stores?
Nope, doesn't work! Believe me, I've tried, and men's clothing just doesn't fit right... no "give" for boobs and hips, too long, big shoulders and neck-holes, long arms, etc. They cater to large MEN, who are (hopefully) built quite differently from a curvy woman.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2008, 10:09 AM

355 posts, read 1,358,813 times
The crochet-trip blouse and flutter-sleeve top from VS are must haves . I'm a 36D and its great. Can't wait for summer.

Old 04-21-2008, 10:23 AM

4,597 posts, read 10,225,966 times
In all of the years I have wrested with stares, and comments, and getting fitted for bras, I have only had ONE dear woman who fitted me for a bra and never made me feel like a freak, or worse. God, but I wanted to take her home with me, and call her "Mom."

After I gave birth to my daughter, and was breast-feeding, in earnest, I sat in the dressing room of the store and just bawled. I was SO uncomfortable, and large, and she was better support than what my own ob/gyn was -- whose comment was to take 'the pills and stop breast-feeding' -- or even my daughter's pediatrician who kept pointing out it was all in supply-and-demand, and would level-out. In the meanwhile, I desperately needed a good fit, and a supportive bra. Even La Leche's advice of going without one didn't work (or appeal to me).

I'd swap these breasts out in a heart beat. Even my two sisters were jealous, feeling like I had inherited something wonderful they'd been cheated-out-of. I've never understood the women who get the huge, fake ones. Sheesh.

Old 04-21-2008, 07:01 PM

2,182 posts, read 5,302,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Yeah - bright orange ones with an owl on them, LOL.

Nope, doesn't work! Believe me, I've tried, and men's clothing just doesn't fit right... no "give" for boobs and hips, too long, big shoulders and neck-holes, long arms, etc. They cater to large MEN, who are (hopefully) built quite differently from a curvy woman.
Gizmo my Huz wears 6X Tall so I know a lot about Big and Tall catalogs. FYI if your interested . Tall sizes are big in the shoulders and slim in the hips and long. Big sizes are bigger in the belly and have shorter arms and are not as long. I know this because Ive ordered 6X Big before and they looked like MuMu's. I had to send them back because the big **** wouldnt wear them.

Old 04-21-2008, 07:54 PM

3,359 posts, read 10,632,316 times
These underwire bras work for me (42dd) - Fruit of the Loom "Fit For Me". I like them because they're well made, they're affordable, the slightly wider straps don't dig in, and they have no lace which is irritating and itchy.

Can't help you with other clothes. I'm an athletic build with wide shoulders and don't seem to have any trouble with traditional styled clothes though certain dresses can make me look matronly.

Old 04-21-2008, 09:32 PM

2,212 posts, read 6,172,653 times
Sorry to barge in again, but this thread keeps popping up on the main page.

For bras my wife swears by this site:

Bras, panties, lingerie, men's underwear, plus size bras at Bare Necessities

And when she was nursing, she went up to a 38 I/J so as you can imagine, she is REALLY challanged when it comes to bras. Her normal range is around a G cup and she seems to find nice items there.

Hope that helps.

Old 04-22-2008, 04:44 PM

8,000 posts, read 16,803,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oobie119 View Post
I have a pretty small frame, but Im 5'10 and have been "cursed" (others would say blessed) with a large chest (38 D). I have a really hard time finding cute, sexy tops that fit me. If they fit my chest they HANG on me like a tent everywhere else. Most of the cute shops I like, I can't even fit into a XL. Im not looking for a high end store, but not Walmart or Target either. Im in my 30's but still like to wear fun, cute tops. Im not talking tube tops or anything.. can anyone suggest a place. The stores I find are geared for old ladys in the ladies department, or Jr's! Forget shopping online, I need to try stuff on. I live in FL if it helps..
I have the same problem. Sometimes I have to buy something in an extra large (if I'm lucky) and bring it home and sew it to fit me. I'm a size 6 also in the waist, but not above the waist

I have to admit some of the higher end clothing fits a lot better.

If you can afford it, or know how to sew, I would recommend tailoring clothes to fit you - then they fit perfect

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMissSunshine View Post
I feel like I should be allowed to wear the "in styles" and should not be excluded for having a large chest. I don't see it as "slutty looking"...I think boobs are a nice accessory and obviously if the top is sexy, I am wearing it to a party or bar...not to work. Does anyone else ever feel this discrimination?

My main problem with clothes, is that I can't find button down work tops. My solution is wearing them open with a t-shirt under neath. Even the biggest size in the store won't close right on my chest.
You go girl!! I'm glad that you are confident in your chest to wear what you want. I feel the discrimination sometimes, usually dirty looks or comments that I've had a boob job, which I have NOT. What I wouldn't give to be able to buy a 34B bikini bathing suit top! LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Oooh, snap! Reminds me of when I tried to shop at Fredrick's for a bra, and the two little (and I do mean "little") salesgirls gave me the death stare when I asked if they had something with a cup bigger than DD since it wasn't fitting properly.

What these salespeople fail to realize is that we (girls with bigg'uns) are not trying to feel superior or rub anything in anyone's face - I would trade them in for an average C cup in a HEARTBEAT - we are just trying to find something that fits! Now I am sure when a girl with a 34B goes bra shopping, the world is her oyster in every dang store she goes. She has never heard "we don't make that style in your size" or "have you tried Lane Bryant?"

And in case anyone isn't old enough to remember what life was like before plastic surgery, there are some of us who were naturally blessed/cursed with enormous ones. I can see where a salesgirl would have a chip on her shoulder for someone with beach ball boobs coming into the store and harping about them not having her size, but what about those of us who had no choice in the matter? Body language is a far more effective way to communicate than verbally - one look or expression can expose their true feelings and turn customers off forever. I have dealt with humiliation due to these things since I was 12 years old - do we really need to deal with more of it from another woman whose job is to help us fit into a bra?
LOL, your not alone sweetie, DontH8Me, if I ever make it out to Cali or your ever down south we definitely have to hook up and hit the town one night.

Old 04-22-2008, 08:23 PM

10,117 posts, read 16,713,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Oooh, snap! Reminds me of when I tried to shop at Fredrick's for a bra, and the two little (and I do mean "little") salesgirls gave me the death stare when I asked if they had something with a cup bigger than DD since it wasn't fitting properly.

What these salespeople fail to realize is that we (girls with bigg'uns) are not trying to feel superior or rub anything in anyone's face - I would trade them in for an average C cup in a HEARTBEAT - we are just trying to find something that fits! Now I am sure when a girl with a 34B goes bra shopping, the world is her oyster in every dang store she goes. She has never heard "we don't make that style in your size" or "have you tried Lane Bryant?"

And in case anyone isn't old enough to remember what life was like before plastic surgery, there are some of us who were naturally blessed/cursed with enormous ones. I can see where a salesgirl would have a chip on her shoulder for someone with beach ball boobs coming into the store and harping about them not having her size, but what about those of us who had no choice in the matter? Body language is a far more effective way to communicate than verbally - one look or expression can expose their true feelings and turn customers off forever. I have dealt with humiliation due to these things since I was 12 years old - do we really need to deal with more of it from another woman whose job is to help us fit into a bra?
Why does it seem like all these "bra fitters" have A or B cups? It stinks!

I know what you mean about the judgement, I've seen it in their eyes, as they bring me the one or two hideously ugly bras that fit me in the entire store.

Old 04-23-2008, 12:08 PM

3,490 posts, read 7,211,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Why does it seem like all these "bra fitters" have A or B cups? It stinks!

I know what you mean about the judgement, I've seen it in their eyes, as they bring me the one or two hideously ugly bras that fit me in the entire store.
Next time you're in England, visit a Bravissimo store. EVERYONE there has big boobs. Yours will probably be small by comparison! It's funny because there are all shapes and sizes of women there (from super skinny to big) who have one thing in commen - big boobs! It's a place you won't feel embarassed going to at all. Those B cup women would have nothing to shop for there!

Old 04-23-2008, 01:01 PM

10,117 posts, read 16,713,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobokenkitchen View Post
Next time you're in England, visit a Bravissimo store. EVERYONE there has big boobs. Yours will probably be small by comparison! It's funny because there are all shapes and sizes of women there (from super skinny to big) who have one thing in commen - big boobs! It's a place you won't feel embarassed going to at all. Those B cup women would have nothing to shop for there!
Thanks for the tip! We don't travel much - we are concentrating on getting rid of DH's student loan debt - but England is already on my list of places I want to go. I'm a Jane Austen nerd. I'll add Bravissimo to my list of must-see places!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty