U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2018, 07:42 AM

9,244 posts, read 12,135,048 times

Advertisements

I went into one watch store that was filled with mid-level brands. A lot of them were priced up to 4 digits, but they were all being sold at good discounts. Some of them were like their own store brand that I'd never heard of.

I really didn't like the store. I got the feeling that none of these brands were any better than Fossil. They all used the same ETA off the shelf movements. They were equal to Fossil in quality, only priced higher, and they were all lesser than Seiko in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2018, 10:41 AM

2,904 posts, read 1,337,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I really didn't like the store. I got the feeling that none of these brands were any better than Fossil.
Even Fossil has brands.
I own a Zodiac V-Sport, which is a highline Fossil.

Old 12-31-2018, 12:03 PM

14,152 posts, read 9,001,270 times
The one category that I particularly dislike is the one made by people who make shirts and pants; Tommy Hilfiger, Perry Ellis, Fossil and the rest. Who knows, maybe Levis has a watch too.

Old 12-31-2018, 08:06 PM

10,964 posts, read 41,754,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
The one category that I particularly dislike is the one made by people who make shirts and pants; Tommy Hilfiger, Perry Ellis, Fossil and the rest. Who knows, maybe Levis has a watch too.
LOL Ö not just one watch, but many different styles were branded "Levi" watches.

Old 01-01-2019, 08:44 AM

206 posts, read 64,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
there's a whole can of worms being opened with this thread … so many brands, so much marketing, so many price levels (and there are some watches which can be considered as "better" than a Rolex, too. IWC, Patek … come to mind. There are many different opinions as to what makes a watch "better" than another, so we're in for a lot of disparity among watch users/buyer/collectors. It really all comes down to what you value and desire in a watch, we'll not all have the same values, OK?)

my short list for you, from top to bottom (and no doubt, others will chime in with different rankings of these brands, or have other brands that "need" to be mentioned … so be it):

Zenith, Ball, Omega

Ebel, Breitling, Chopard, Panerai, Sinn, Graham, Hublot

Tag Heuer, Tissot, Bulova

Oris, Hamilton, Orient

There's many more which will fit in these rankings … many of which use commonly outsourced movements in the industry, so they are effectively similar to each other when it comes to the timekeeping function. The real choices come down to your preferences in styles, faces, shape of hands, other functions, etc., & price. Bear in mind that there are over a hundred watch brands that are lesser watches than the entry level Seiko's. (on a recent trip to France, I looked around at the mall near the airport … and there were a couple watch boutiques there with many watch brands I'd never seen or heard of before. The business is all about marketing, fancy boxes, and features -- pricing. Some were very inexpensive, some were in or above Rolex territory)
Yea whatever I am so sick of this to each his own. I wonder how many people can really afford it. How many vacations it cost them. How many times i meant sitting around doing nothing except staring at some glorified bracelet that gives u the warm and fuzzes and makes you feel like a success when you're just being delusional about your skills and abilities and are really just as skilled, or not as the guy walking around in his Timex. I wonder how many times you never would have gone anywhere unless some ugly woman begged you to ....but you have some fancy bracelet. If you're ric flair then ok -- if you are joe payday then you got duped. I guess if you're into watches but imho cannot think of a more boring expensive way to spend hard-earned money. For that kind of money you can take a trip or buy a mechanized device where you can go fast.

Old 01-01-2019, 09:12 AM

938 posts, read 250,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Why? these sub $200 watches all offer a ton more value for the money than any luxury brand.

Old 01-01-2019, 09:15 AM

14,508 posts, read 7,735,098 times
There are many good, mechanical watches out there these days. Many have ETA, Miyota, or Seiko movements. Some of the higher end brands use their own, in house movements, like Rolex. You don't have to spend a ton of money these days to get a good, mechanical watch that will last your lifetime, or more.

Old 01-01-2019, 09:21 AM

938 posts, read 250,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
There are many good, mechanical watches out there these days. Many have ETA, Miyota, or Seiko movements. Some of the higher end brands use their own, in house movements, like Rolex. You don't have to spend a ton of money these days to get a good, mechanical watch that will last your lifetime, or more.
Sure they will last a lifetime, but how many services costing $200+ will you go through? For the price of a single mechanical movement service you can buy a far more accurate quartz watch that will last decades. Mechanical watches are cool, but from an economic standpoint they are atrocious.
My everyday watch is a handwind mechanical, but I don't delude myself into thinking it's anything other than technology from a long past era who's only real benefit is that it's quirky and more interesting than a quartz watch.

Last edited by duke944; 01-01-2019 at 09:33 AM..

Old 01-02-2019, 12:31 AM

13,869 posts, read 11,394,822 times
My Rolex is my least fav mechanical watch. And when it comes to accuracy, nothing can beat quartz/battery. Even my tourbillon canít come close. Mechanical watches like Rolexís and other high end luxury watches no matter the cost, are susceptible to gravity, thus affecting accuracy.

Old 01-02-2019, 05:29 AM

9,244 posts, read 12,135,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
My Rolex is my least fav mechanical watch. And when it comes to accuracy, nothing can beat quartz/battery. Even my tourbillon canít come close. Mechanical watches like Rolexís and other high end luxury watches no matter the cost, are susceptible to gravity, thus affecting accuracy.
Any mechanical watch, even a tourbillon can be bumped against a door accidentally, knocking it out of balance again the day after it is regulated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty