U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2019, 05:59 AM

7,426 posts, read 3,065,564 times

Advertisements

I donít want to wear anything that valuable. I donít want to be a theft target. Believe me they are watching you...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2019, 02:15 PM

2,914 posts, read 1,345,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
Sure they will last a lifetime, but how many services costing $200+ will you go through? For the price of a single mechanical movement service you can buy a far more accurate quartz watch that will last decades. Mechanical watches are cool, but from an economic standpoint they are atrocious.
My everyday watch is a handwind mechanical, but I don't delude myself into thinking it's anything other than technology from a long past era who's only real benefit is that it's quirky and more interesting than a quartz watch.
The handwind mechanical will run once you wind it up. All you have to do is reset it.

If you have a bunch of watches that you wear in rotation like I do, automatics /mechanicals are nice.
Shake and set and you're in business. Never have a dead battery.

I do have all of the others though... wind-em-up, quartz and kinetic. All three of my quartz watches are currently running.

Old 01-03-2019, 12:41 AM

11,584 posts, read 19,732,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
My husband doesn’t wear his Rolex everyday. It’s self winding, so every time he goes to wear it he has to reset it. It’s a pain.
I had two Rolexes come into my possession. I was thrilled. A Rolex was one of those things that was a nice thing to think about, but the reality was I would never buy one.

Well. A Rolex is like a very expensive Tamagotchi. It needs to be tended and worn and fiddled with.

I still wear it every once in a while, but I wear my Seiko solar far more.

Old 01-03-2019, 07:49 AM

337 posts, read 113,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
I donít want to wear anything that valuable. I donít want to be a theft target. Believe me they are watching you...
You do need to be careful where you wear a Rolex at.

Old 01-03-2019, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Town View Post
You do need to be careful where you wear a Rolex at.
11 years, never worried about it.
About the only place I didn't wear it was in a swimming pool, so I always wore Seiko 5's on vacation.
If I drowned one of those it would be any big deal. Turned out they didn't mind getting dunked.

Old 01-03-2019, 11:35 AM

3,014 posts, read 1,287,260 times
Rolex is money on your wrist. I would hate to take a loss during an emergency, but it is good to have. Yes , it it just a timepiece, but does offer some sophistication on the wearers wrist.

I am personally a Omega man myself. If its good enough for James Bond, its good enough for me. Omega is high quality, and offer purpose made watches. It wont break the bank, but offer a fresh look on the wearers wrist.

Old 01-03-2019, 05:53 PM

9,263 posts, read 12,145,962 times
Tudor would be a better choice in my opinion, not just because they are less expensive. It's got the prestige of being Rolex-made, but it uses off the shelf movements. You would never need to spend a lot on servicing because, at the very worst you could replace the entire movement for about $50 and no one would even care if you ever wanted to resell it.

Old 01-03-2019, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
I am personally a Omega man myself.
I have one, a Seamaster. It's a fine watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Tudor would be a better choice in my opinion
The Tudors I like best don't have a Rolex counterpart.

Old 01-04-2019, 06:15 AM

206 posts, read 64,878 times
Quote:
Rolex is money on your wrist. I would hate to take a loss during an emergency, but it is good to have.
yea it's a luxury good .. if you're worried about cashing it in after a job loss -- it sounds like you can't afford it. ( I bet most are in the sam boat).
Quote:
Yes , it it just a timepiece, but does offer some sophistication on the wearers wrist.
Reads like something right out of the marketing brochure
Quote:
I am personally a Omega man myself. If its good enough for James Bond, its good enough for me.
He also wore a seiko at times. The good enough argument works well for a product like seiko since its inexpensive ...when talking about a 3000+ dollar watch not so much. Besides any celebrity endorsement is also met with other neg endorsements as well: Che Guevara loved his rolex ..the pain in the but guy at work who wears one etc. Not to mention the premise is flawed anyway. James Bond Elvis would be just as cool in his Rolex or Omega and has a lot more disposable income.

Personally I am looking forward to making my own history in my 75 dollar gucci.

Quote:
Omega is high quality, and offer purpose made watches. It wont break the bank, but offer a fresh look on the wearers wrist.
3000 dollars for a watch doesn't break the bank :roll eyes:

Having said all that i would wear one at times if i were given one and probably enjoy a high end watch

Anyone who says they never had to worry about where to wear one, doesn't work where I work (and probably lead a sheltered life as well.)

Old 01-04-2019, 10:00 AM

337 posts, read 113,344 times
Does anyone know? On the back of my Rolex there is a green sticker like a 25% moon on the edge of the back cover . I have also seen then on pictures of Rolex's anybody know what this green sticker is for?

Last edited by Mike Town; 01-04-2019 at 11:25 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty