U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2019, 06:08 PM

9,270 posts, read 12,156,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Town View Post
Not putting your choice of Panerai down so don't get me wrong. But I haven't ever heard of it and I doubt most people have like many other high dollars watches. But everyone knows what a Rolex is. I do like people knowing what I have on after spending $10,000 for it.
I'm surprised if you haven't heard of them. They've been really popular for about 10 to 15 years in the watch world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2019, 12:24 PM

13,891 posts, read 11,422,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Town View Post
Not putting your choice of Panerai down so don't get me wrong. But I haven't ever heard of it and I doubt most people have like many other high dollars watches. But everyone knows what a Rolex is. I do like people knowing what I have on after spending $10,000 for it.
Very popular brand. I lived in the town of Neuchatel Switzerland (where they’re manufactured) for years and grew a love for Panerai’s, thus owning a few. It’s a brand well-loved by many Hollywood celebrities i.e Brad Pitt, Sylvester Stallone, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Dwayne (Rock) Johnson and many more. Any horological aficionado knows about Pam’s.

Old Yesterday, 07:10 AM

338 posts, read 115,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
Very popular brand. I lived in the town of Neuchatel Switzerland (where they’re manufactured) for years and grew a love for Panerai’s, thus owning a few. It’s a brand well-loved by many Hollywood celebrities i.e Brad Pitt, Sylvester Stallone, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Dwayne (Rock) Johnson and many more. Any horological aficionado knows about Pam’s.
Maybe because why you have heard of them and like them is because you live in Neuchatel Switzerland where they’re manufactured.

Not putting them down at all just never heard of them.

Old Yesterday, 10:07 AM

11,313 posts, read 9,362,149 times
I don't own a watch besides my apple watch and I've heard of Panerai.

Old Yesterday, 11:02 AM

732 posts, read 264,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Even if everything you said were true (none of it is) it doesn't change the fact the Rolex WAS an innovator. That's past tense, as in, "in the past". They have been resting on their laurels since the 1950's. The only thing new they have come up with is the Oyster-Quartz. A "luxury" quartz movement which is basically a cheap ripoff of Seiko with a higher price tag.
Here are a list of patents assigned to Rolex Watch and as you can see, the dates are clearly after the 1950's.

Their Calibre 3285 covers 10 patents alone.

Google is your friend.

Old Yesterday, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
I don't own a watch besides my apple watch and I've heard of Panerai.
Well, there is that.

Panerai is owned by Richemont Group and includes other brands you've probably never heard of including A. Lange & Söhne, Azzedine Alaïa, Baume & Mercier, Cartier, Chloé, Dunhill, IWC Schaffhausen, Giampiero Bodino, Jaeger-LeCoultre, Lancel, Montblanc, Piaget, Peter Millar, Purdey, Roger Dubuis, Vacheron Constantin, and Van Cleef & Arpels. source

I currently own an Baume & Mercier and an IWC - both are great watches. I looked at Montblanc's current offerings while in Riyadh about a year ago - very, very nice watches. I'd love a A. Lange & Söhne Datograph but they're kind of expensive. lol

Old Yesterday, 11:22 AM

And, back to the point of the thread, I've owned half a dozen Rolex watches over the last 30+ years. I've never lost money on one, selling each for more than I paid for it. I've never tracked that compared to inflation since it's not an investment.

I remember the pepsi GMT I purchased when my daughter was quite young. When I installed her swingset, pounding the stakes into the ground was so difficult that my arms ached for two weeks. I should have removed my watch but I didn't - and it never showed any ill effects.

My current one, commonly referred to as a BLNR, is 4 days short of 5 years old and is accurate to a fault. It's one favorite in a group of around 6 or 8 watches which are all worn regularly. Luckily, every time I get out another watch to wear, I fall in love with it all over again. Another favorite is a TAG Heuer Monaco Gulf Special Edition. Beautiful, cool watch.

If you want a nice watch and have never been on a cruise, combine both - take a cruise to the Caribbean and purchase a watch in St Maartens. Just know what you want before you go - do your homework!

Old Today, 05:09 AM

10 posts
"Watch complete the dressing sense" and yes i have lots of collection of watch and i wear it on regular basis with different designs and features. And yes i have Rolex in my collection and i love this watch more then any other watches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty