U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2019, 03:35 PM

13,682 posts, read 43,652,914 times

Advertisements

The accuracy of a Rolex or similar watch is largely a factor of who services it, and how good they are. I really like Nesbit's in Seattle, added advantage is that I can go hand my watch to them across the counter, rather than risk shipping it.

The consistency of running is going to be inherent to the Rolex design, but getting all the adjustments down right is up to the guy (gal) servicing it.

Had my GMT since 1979, still very pleased with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2019, 05:51 PM

790 posts, read 284,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
The El Primero is one of my grail watches. Just spectacular. I will have to tolerate my Sinn 103 st sa, and Omega Speedie Pro until I can justify one. Rolex makes some great watches. There in house movements are pretty bullet proof. I would love to have a Sea Dweller also. Classic.
Timezone.com is your friend. Good luck in your search! I love Sinns also...great tool watches.

A 1979 GMT? Dang man....I’m sure it’s aged beautifully!

Old 02-02-2019, 09:48 PM

11,018 posts, read 42,062,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
The accuracy of a Rolex or similar watch is largely a factor of who services it, and how good they are. I really like Nesbit's in Seattle, added advantage is that I can go hand my watch to them across the counter, rather than risk shipping it.

The consistency of running is going to be inherent to the Rolex design, but getting all the adjustments down right is up to the guy (gal) servicing it.

Had my GMT since 1979, still very pleased with it.
My rolex’s were serviced by a well known authorized Rolex repair shop and then sent directly to Rolex’s USA nat’l headquarters repair shop, TWICE. Overhauled by them at an $800 fee each time.

The SSub never kept time from day one. The best I recall it ever did was around 10 seconds per day loss, oft times many more than that. Not unusual to be off a couple minutes per week.

These Rolex threads brought all this to the fore for me. Having relegated my rolex’s to a drawer in favor of my Bulova’s, I retrieved them and took them to our biggest jewelry store in town for an appraisal/bid. The guy turned out to be a former Rolex rep and had connections with some Rolex dealers. He described my watches and got their bids.

Bottom line: I got half of the prevailing national advertised asked prices for these used rolex models. My jeweler was surprised that the market was so strong for them, the first year of the sapphire crystal. Considering that my watches needed cleaning up and new crystals and rotating bezel number rings, I didn’t think that was a bad offer. Still over double what I’d paid for them, new. Gone, done, the cash can go into my airplane panel where it will do me more good than dust collectors in a dresser drawer.

PS: my bulova’s keep time and survive in the same service that the rolex’s were used in. Nobody seems to have noticed that i’m Not wearing a Rolex anymore, either.

Last edited by sunsprit; 02-02-2019 at 09:56 PM..

Old 02-04-2019, 10:50 AM

9,622 posts, read 5,952,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
The El Primero is one of my grail watches. Just spectacular. I will have to tolerate my Sinn 103 st sa, and Omega Speedie Pro until I can justify one. Rolex makes some great watches. There in house movements are pretty bullet proof. I would love to have a Sea Dweller also. Classic.

I'm thinking "tolerating" a Sinn and a Omega isn't all that bad..Lol Both great watches.
I've got so many grail watches it's pathetic. Most are not even at the level of a Rolex though.

Kobold
Doxa
another Omega , a "great white" to match my current black dialed GMT
Kaventtsman
another Helberg/H20
Detroit Watch Company

And of course a Panerai

Old 02-04-2019, 11:24 AM

790 posts, read 284,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
My rolexís were serviced by a well known authorized Rolex repair shop and then sent directly to Rolexís USA natíl headquarters repair shop, TWICE. Overhauled by them at an $800 fee each time.

The SSub never kept time from day one. The best I recall it ever did was around 10 seconds per day loss, oft times many more than that. Not unusual to be off a couple minutes per week.

These Rolex threads brought all this to the fore for me. Having relegated my rolexís to a drawer in favor of my Bulovaís, I retrieved them and took them to our biggest jewelry store in town for an appraisal/bid. The guy turned out to be a former Rolex rep and had connections with some Rolex dealers. He described my watches and got their bids.

Bottom line: I got half of the prevailing national advertised asked prices for these used rolex models. My jeweler was surprised that the market was so strong for them, the first year of the sapphire crystal. Considering that my watches needed cleaning up and new crystals and rotating bezel number rings, I didnít think that was a bad offer. Still over double what Iíd paid for them, new. Gone, done, the cash can go into my airplane panel where it will do me more good than dust collectors in a dresser drawer.

PS: my bulovaís keep time and survive in the same service that the rolexís were used in. Nobody seems to have noticed that iím Not wearing a Rolex anymore, either.
Your watches were covered by warranties after each repair. Why not make them do the work you paid for correctly? Selling your watch through a jewelry store wasn't a good move either. There are much better ways to sell it via various websites ie. the rolex forums, timezone, etc. You seem proud that you paid twice for repairs not done correctly and then you sold the watch for much less than advertised prices.

Old Today, 06:36 PM

15,824 posts, read 15,814,680 times
Ummm, yeah, my phone has a built-in clock..........so I will pass on wasting money(IMHO), on an overpriced trinket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty