U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 12:52 PM

5,589 posts, read 6,273,180 times

Advertisements

Rolex...says something about the man, which isn't particularly admirable or desirable.

Sort of like a guy driving around in a Corvette...there's a need that isn't getting satisfied elsewhere.

Haven't worn a watch in years. Have some European thing in the box; was a gift from a biz partner at Christmas. Likely worth a good deal, but I really have no interest one way or the other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 12:54 PM

9,187 posts, read 12,105,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
As well as my expensive pieces, I have a Timex from the 80s that I got when I was a kid. Love it. Still working.
There are vintage Timex collectors who actually like the styles. They weren't fancy dress watches, nor were they dive watches. Some of the collectors described them as having a "wall clock" design like you might see in a school classroom. Pure utilitarian design.

Old Yesterday, 01:00 PM

9,187 posts, read 12,105,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Rolex...says something about the man, which isn't particularly admirable or desirable.

Sort of like a guy driving around in a Corvette...there's a need that isn't getting satisfied elsewhere.

Haven't worn a watch in years. Have some European thing in the box; was a gift from a biz partner at Christmas. Likely worth a good deal, but I really have no interest one way or the other.
A Rolex is not quite as flashy as driving a Corvette. Most people wouldn't even notice the watch brand unless they liked to take notice of jewelry. It's also about owning a finely crafted instrument.

Old Yesterday, 01:54 PM

896 posts, read 236,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Personally I love Timex. But I would not want to even own a Rolex.
Would I like to have the money on hand that a Rolex is worth? Of course.

But I wouldn't want to own a Rolex anymore than I would want a diamond necklace. It's just not something I would want. Either item would just be a novelty to me that I wouldn't want to wear.
If I really wanted a fancy mechanical watch, I'm happy with brands like Seiko.
I'd have to agree with this, a Rolex is too chunky and heavy for me to wear. It's also not going to have tritium on the hands and dial, something that I would never give up after wearing a watch with it for the last few years. No matter how nice a watch looks if it doesn't have tritium I'm not interested.

Old Yesterday, 02:12 PM

2,230 posts, read 4,379,122 times
If you find one you like and can afford it, I'd go for it. I really like some of the (like the newest Air King) but many of them look too big for my wrist. Funny thing is, they can actually turn out to be a good investment or at least they hold their value so you can wear one for years then sell it when you get tired of it.

Old Yesterday, 03:27 PM

296 posts, read 102,313 times
Some people are just jelous.... LOL

Old Yesterday, 03:39 PM

14,292 posts, read 7,672,466 times
The nice thing about a Rolex is that they hold their value, as the new ones ALWAYS go up in price year to year. The Submariner, and Sea Dweller are iconic watches, and yes they keep excellent time, are very durable, and don't need the servicing people think they do. However, mechanical watches are mechanical and don't display the accuracy of quartz. Many can, and do keep time with in a few seconds per day very easily. Even less expensive, Japanese movements do that regularly. You don't buy a Rolex for that reason. You buy it because it is a classic, and you like it.

Old Yesterday, 03:43 PM

12,981 posts, read 20,067,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore1954 View Post
I would never want one but I bought my wife one some 20 years ago. It needed to be fixed a couple of times and that cost a lot.
I have seen articles saying they hold their value also but we needed cash after 2008 and could not get any real money (in comparison to its price) for it either.
A friend of mine was able to turn her Rolex into enough cash to sue the man who gave it to her for divorce.

My husband has a Rolex, he doesn't wear it daily, but he's proud of it. It was a gift from a boss who appreciated his work. Since I worked in the jewelry business for many years, my husband has several high end watches, but his favorite is the Rolex.

Old Yesterday, 04:11 PM

2,193 posts, read 1,956,424 times
I'm more of a Patek kind of guy!

Old Yesterday, 04:27 PM

2,391 posts, read 1,314,142 times
There's better watches out there for the money than Rolex. With Rolex, you are paying for more than just the watch, you're also paying for the name. Omega, Breitling, etc, all make a better watch than Rolex does IMO, but cost less.

But, some people like the brand cachet that comes from owning a Rolex. I have two Omegas, a Ball, and a Tag, all but the Tag are more accurate than my wife's Rolex Datejust, and cost less, but have more bells and whistles.

But, I will say that a Rolex is the watch that bridges the gap between a luxury watch like an Omega and an ultra luxury watch like a Patek, Panerai, or Piguet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty