U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 05:00 PM

492 posts, read 137,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Town View Post
If you had a choice would you rather have a a Timex or a Rolex?
Assuming both work just as well as each other, the Timex. I would not like what a Rolex would imply about my values and priorities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 05:11 PM

13,903 posts, read 7,505,507 times
Quote:
Haha - are you buyin'?

Old Yesterday, 05:15 PM

897 posts, read 236,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey2k View Post
Assuming both work just as well as each other, the Timex. I would not like what a Rolex would imply about my values and priorities.
I don't care what others think of my values and priorities. If I were offered a free Timex or Rolex I'd take the Rolex but wear it occassionally, or sell it and buy something I can actually use. If I were offered the choice of buying a Rolex or a Timex at today's prices I would choose the Timex in a second. I'd much rather spend $40 than $8k on something I don't want.

Old Yesterday, 05:17 PM

296 posts, read 102,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey2k View Post
If I was going to give you a Rolex or a Timex told you to take one or the other what one would you take. My only request is you have it on for one year or more.

Old Yesterday, 05:45 PM

13,556 posts, read 43,274,652 times
I very much like my 1575 model GMT Master from 1979, a graduation gift from my parents. I have my late Dad's Datejust in storage, it needs service before I can start wearing it. I keep thinking about getting a vintage Submariner to go with them. I'd really like to have at least 5 so I could habitually wear one each day of the week "Since I'm wearing my Sub today, it must be Wednesday". Rounding out the 5 would be a Daytona, and a Milgaus (that last one because I work in the sciences). These two are on the expensive side.

You people (and, yeah, I am saying "You People" the way Rush says it...) who say "a Timex does the same thing" - are missing the point. People who get it, need no explanation, people who don't get it, there is no explaining it to them. It's like saying that a bottle of good wine is a waste of money, because Mad Dog gets you just as drunk.

Old Yesterday, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhall1 View Post
My $99.00 Tommy Heileifger is perfectly acceptable and looks for expensive than it is

It would not fool me for a second.

Old Yesterday, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Rolex...says something about the man, which isn't particularly admirable or desirable.

Sort of like a guy driving around in a Corvette...there's a need that isn't getting satisfied elsewhere.

Haven't worn a watch in years. Have some European thing in the box; was a gift from a biz partner at Christmas. Likely worth a good deal, but I really have no interest one way or the other.

I consider this a sort of left-handed compliment. Like if I met Nancy Pelosi, and she immediately didn't like me.

I guess men like these are your idea of "men who don't measure up" - in that case I am honored to have at least my choice of watch in common with them:

https://www.thegentlemansjournal.com...rolex-watches/

Yeah, Chuck Yeager, Elvis, Dr. Martin Luther King - what a bunch of losers.

Old Yesterday, 06:02 PM

20,479 posts, read 25,744,421 times
Quote:

If someone else is buying then the Rolex. I can resell it. If I'm buying the Timex is fine. I don't wear watches anymore and I don't like worrying about "stuff".

Old Yesterday, 06:05 PM

125 posts, read 47,277 times
The topic was do you like your Rolex....has anyone responded that actually owns one? lol

For the record I have a Rolex Explorer II. I wear it daily. The way I view it, watches and wedding bands are the only jewelry a man can respectively pull off at any function.

For everyone saying I would rather spend the money on (enter item other than Rolex), it's not about choosing. If you can truly afford a Rolex, you can afford to do the other stuff too. It's not about sacrificing.

I'm not sure what some posters are saying about the values and message you're sending wearing a Rolex. Would someone care to expand on that thought process? Some people appreciate watches, some people appreciate stamp collecting....how people spend their money is their own business....

Old Yesterday, 06:25 PM

897 posts, read 236,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottgekko View Post
The topic was do you like your Rolex....has anyone responded that actually owns one? lol

For the record I have a Rolex Explorer II. I wear it daily. The way I view it, watches and wedding bands are the only jewelry a man can respectively pull off at any function.

For everyone saying I would rather spend the money on (enter item other than Rolex), it's not about choosing. If you can truly afford a Rolex, you can afford to do the other stuff too. It's not about sacrificing.

I'm not sure what some posters are saying about the values and message you're sending wearing a Rolex. Would someone care to expand on that thought process? Some people appreciate watches, some people appreciate stamp collecting....how people spend their money is their own business....
I'm sure there are plenty of people who bought and wear Rolex's that couldn't afford them. They are like any depreciating luxury asset, they attract all kinds.
Before anyone offers up some nonsense about how Rolex's hold their value, I assure you I can find plenty of used like new examples on Ebay and other places that are significantly less than I can buy a new one.
If someone genuinely appreciates something like a Rolex and thinks its worth it for their own enjoyment, that's all good. However, if someone buys one because they think others will see them as successful, or they feel superior over others who see them wearing it because they cannot afford such an item I have news for you - in reality nobody gaf what you are wearing, that is marketing talking.
I think that's what joey2k is talking about, he's making the assumption that someone wearing a Rolex is doing so to project an image, or get a reaction from others - rather than for owner satisfaction. In most cases he's probably right.

Last edited by duke944; Yesterday at 06:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty