U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2018, 07:13 PM

8,888 posts, read 6,058,957 times

Advertisements

Nope. Rolexes don't generally look good on my skinny wrists. Case diameters of 40mm max look better for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2018, 07:16 PM

14,292 posts, read 7,679,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Nope. Rolexes don't generally look good on my skinny wrists. Case diameters of 40mm max look better for me.
For my wrist the sweet spot is 41 - 43. Anything smaller looks ridiculous, anything bigger makes me look like that Rap guy that wears the clock. I prefer a Sinn 103, or Omega Speedmaster Pro, and similar, over Rolexes, but Rolex makes some great, iconic watches.

Old 12-26-2018, 09:23 PM

3,464 posts, read 2,043,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
I'm sure there are plenty of people who bought and wear Rolex's that couldn't afford them. They are like any depreciating luxury asset, they attract all kinds.
Before anyone offers up some nonsense about how Rolex's hold their value, I assure you I can find plenty of used like new examples on Ebay and other places that are significantly less than I can buy a new one.
If someone genuinely appreciates something like a Rolex and thinks its worth it for their own enjoyment, that's all good. However, if someone buys one because they think others will see them as successful, or they feel superior over others who see them wearing it because they cannot afford such an item I have news for you - in reality nobody gaf what you are wearing, that is marketing talking.
I think that's what joey2k is talking about, he's making the assumption that someone wearing a Rolex is doing so to project an image, or get a reaction from others - rather than for owner satisfaction. In most cases he's probably right.
As the only certified (so far) "watch nut" in this thread, let me say that you are mostly right and a little wrong. Rolex is known the world over as a symbol of quality, a symbol of something fine. When men or women attain a certain level of success in life, they will often gift themselves something that symbolizes that attainment. It might be a piece of art that they admire, or an automobile that stirs them or, in many cases, a Rolex. They do it for themselves, not for others. Or they receive one as a gift from a doting grandfather upon graduation or from their company as recognition of their success. It is a personal symbol of pride in their accomplishments, and you are right, absolutely NOBODY notices the watch you wear or could care less. You wear a Rolex purely for yourself. Incidentally, I have found that most people wishing to impress others by wearing a Rolex generally buy fakes and this suits them perfectly. Again, nobody will notice or care.

Now, here's where you're wrong. A Rolex is definitely NOT a depreciating asset. Just for you I just went on to Ebay looking for my White Stainless Rolex Daytona that I bought about 5 years ago for $ 10,000 brand new. As you can see, the used prices range between $ 14,000 - $ 19,000. Thinking this to be a fluke, I checked out my 50th Anniversary Green Submariner that I bought for $ 6,000 when it first came out. The cheapest one I could find was $ 12,000 used. You can check it yourself. The fact is that every one of my 8 Rolexes is worth more than I paid for it, sometimes much more. My Panerais are the same story. This is mostly because Rolex and most other watch brands raise their prices from 10-15% each year and the used market follows the new market. Give it a year or two to absorb the sales tax you paid and you'll be in the money from then on.

It's funny what appeals to different people. I know some "car guys" who will wax poetically about their new manifold & exhaust system for hours. Truthfully, I was standing in the Louvre a few months ago and all these people were staring agog at each and every painting. I just didn't get it. But there's just something about these little pieces of "wearable art" that has captured my heart and won't let it go. To paraphrase what M3 Mitch said above, you either get it or you don't and either is just fine. For the record, when I die my watches will all be on Ebay before I even reach room temperature. My Son doesn't get it either.

Old 12-26-2018, 09:52 PM

2,822 posts, read 1,310,401 times
I used to own a number of expensive watches... Omega, Jaeger-LeCoultre, Girard-Perregaux and a Rolex GMT-Master.
The only one I still have is the Omega Seamaster. The most expensive watch I currently own is an Oakley Time Bomb.

I owned the Rolex for 11 years, then sold it for more than I paid for it.
The post about them only getting more expensive is 100% correct.
I like Rolexes, but I actually prefer to wear more interesting watches.
They don't have to be expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
I'm more of a Patek kind of guy!
If I decide to go for another high end watch, this is the one... a Patek Nautilus. Not gonna mess around.

Old Yesterday, 03:32 AM

5,171 posts, read 1,357,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
I would spend tens of thousands dollars (if I had the money) on many discretionary luxury goods. A Rolex is not one of them. High end watches are something I’m just not interested in.
I wouldn't mind getting a few cheap used ones off ebay. Other than that, my "passion" would be luxury foreign sportscars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
, absolutely NOBODY notices the watch you wear or could care less. You wear a Rolex purely for yourself.
Not necessarily, if I was some hedge fund billionaire I'm sure everyone (employees, clients, partners, associates) would notice the watch I was wearing. Or perhaps some luxury high end real estate agent, the clients would see my watch. Basically, if a client needs to see you as a successful person then you have to dress accordingly.

Other than that, it would be just for the self-pleasure of having one.

Last edited by Rocko20; Yesterday at 03:40 AM..

Old Yesterday, 04:49 AM
Status: "Elect a clown? Expect a circus!" (set 27 days ago)

55,081 posts, read 38,982,739 times
[quote=LLCNYC;53978811]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post

+1.

Lol. I own 2 & have never heard this. (FYI- I am a woman, I know the title asks men but I'm curious about the "old saying".

* Ah yes, I looked it up (I'm smart like that)...having one is like having currency therefore wearing the watch, you could get home if needed.

Whew! I can sleep tonight.

Or, you could just have currency.

Old Yesterday, 05:06 AM

3,136 posts, read 2,960,499 times
I didnít know people still wore watches!

Old Yesterday, 05:22 AM

9,195 posts, read 12,108,667 times
They will only "hold their value" while they remain in a popular trend. Right now they are trendy to own.

Before Rolex it was Tag Heuer.

In the 1980's Seiko had more value than Rolex. Even though Rolex had been around longer at that time.

Old Yesterday, 09:28 AM

297 posts, read 103,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
They will only "hold their value" while they remain in a popular trend. Right now they are trendy to own.

Before Rolex it was Tag Heuer.

In the 1980's Seiko had more value than Rolex. Even though Rolex had been around longer at that time.
I believe Rolex began in the mid 1800s Been around for many years.
Some of these watch companies like Tag try to look like Rolex but never will be.

Old Yesterday, 10:18 AM

897 posts, read 237,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
I didnít know people still wore watches!
I wear one 24/7, never take it off. A glance at a wrist is always far more convenient than pulling out your phone, pushing a button then putting it back. Mine has tritium so the time is always easily seen in the dark, I haven't used a bedroom clock for years. If I ever decided these conveniences were no longer worth wearing a watch I wouldn't wear one, I'm not a jewelry type of person.
I think watches will become less and less common as the generations who grew up during a time before the cellphone are replaced by those who did not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty