U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2018, 08:20 PM

904 posts, read 239,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
Name the device that is more finely crafted. Every single part inside and out is impeccably finished.

Try to find the flaw in that. Don't waste your time... you won't find one.

You've obviously never heard of this...
What makes Henry Graves Supercomplication the

There was no 21st century technology involved in creating the Graves Supercomplication.

Sure, you can ice it up if you want to come across as a classless goof.
On really fine watches the beauty is on the inside.
So much time and effort to create something using surpassed technology that is easily beaten by a $10 quartz watch in accuracy. Meanwhile 80% of the world's population lives below the US poverty level.
I wonder how much that Patek movement costs to service? Probably more than a good used car.
The human race sure is weird.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2018, 08:46 PM

4,128 posts, read 1,617,145 times
Rolex? Man, I've got my Casio and Timex watches!

They tell time just fine, and I know I'm not getting ripped off $-wise in the name of image, vanity, and peer pressure. Go put that in your Gucci pipe and smoke it!

Old 12-27-2018, 09:33 PM

2,846 posts, read 1,313,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
So much time and effort to create something using surpassed technology that is easily beaten by a $10 quartz watch in accuracy. Meanwhile 80% of the world's population lives below the US poverty level.
I wonder how much that Patek movement costs to service? Probably more than a good used car.
The human race sure is weird.
A person doesn't pay $24 million for a Patek watch so they can compare it to some pedestrian quartz watch.
That's as absurd as comparing a $450 million DaVinci painting to something purchased down at the Starving Artists.
And a Stradavarius is just a fiddle.

Three of these are fine art and and the other two are throwaway junk and a picture.
What's weird is this utter disrespect for the pinnacle of craftsmanship.
Fortunately some people still care about fine things, otherwise we'd have nothing but cheap Walmart crap.

Last edited by eaton53; 12-27-2018 at 10:20 PM..

Old 12-27-2018, 10:39 PM

5,937 posts, read 1,399,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
A person doesn't pay $24 million for a Patek watch so they can compare it to some pedestrian quartz watch.
That's as absurd as comparing a $450 million DaVinci painting to something purchased down at the Starving Artists.
And a Stradavarius is just a fiddle.

Three of these are fine art and and the other two are throwaway junk and a picture.
What's weird is this utter disrespect for the pinnacle of craftsmanship.
Fortunately some people still care about fine things, otherwise we'd have nothing but cheap Walmart crap.

Yes there are quality superficial things you can buy and other things that are just superficial. Someone does not buy a ultra high end watch just to wear it at home and marvel at its craftsmanship. One wears it in public so others can see your wealth and be impressed with your understanding in the finer things in life. Not everyone is as impressed with all that as you seem to want them to be.

To me there is a whole laundry list of reasons to be impressed with someone. Wearing a Rolex does not give me a reason to put them on my list.

Old 12-27-2018, 11:52 PM

14,104 posts, read 8,968,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
Why pay that much for a watch when the cheapo I buy at Walmart that lasts for years (my dad bought one 5 years before he died in 2016 and it's still running fine) and they both tell me the same time. That's all I need a watch for.
You're obviously not the customer Rolex is looking for. The point is not to just tell the time, by the way. If that were the case, all you needed was a Timex. To me, only the original, recognized-a mile-away Rolex is what counts. They have come out with too many new models that don't look like a Rolex at first glance. Who wants that?

Old 12-27-2018, 11:59 PM

14,104 posts, read 8,968,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
They will only "hold their value" while they remain in a popular trend. Right now they are trendy to own.

Before Rolex it was Tag Heuer.

In the 1980's Seiko had more value than Rolex. Even though Rolex had been around longer at that time.
Ok, I was around in the 80s. I was even around in the 60s. Seiko was NEVER more valued than Rolex. In fact, Seiko was jut a notch above Timex and on par with Citizen. Still is.

Old Yesterday, 12:00 AM

11,974 posts, read 7,949,568 times
Apple Watch is the millennial's Rolex.

Old Yesterday, 05:14 AM

9,210 posts, read 12,112,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Ok, I was around in the 80s. I was even around in the 60s. Seiko was NEVER more valued than Rolex. In fact, Seiko was jut a notch above Timex and on par with Citizen. Still is.
You were around but were you a watch collector in the 80's?

Seiko and Citizen are actually both respected brands. In some countries Citizen is viewed even more highly than Seiko.

Timex has always been seen as an affordable watch made cheaply . Even when they were making mechanical watches.

Old Yesterday, 06:52 AM

304 posts, read 104,406 times
Most people don't know what a Petek is no matter how much it sold for at auction or how it is made most still don't know what it is, But everybody knows what a Rolex is.

Old Yesterday, 07:25 AM

1,792 posts, read 647,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
I'm a "watch guy" and I have a ridiculous number of fine watches. As the old saying goes, the nice thing about wearing a Rolex is that no matter what happens you can fly home from anywhere in the world. It takes one year to make a Rolex. Walmart watches, not so much.
This is a silly assertion and is only true on the most superficial level. Assembling a Rolex from its constituent parts takes a few hours. Now, if you want to start a timer when they start mining the ore from which the eventual refined materials in the watch are derived, or even from the time the manufacturing of the parts in various places around the world begins, then sure it's true. But 99% of that time doesn't consist of 'making a Rolex' - it consists of parts simply existing somewhere in the supply chain: at the factories around the world where they accumulate in bins, in slow transit, in warehouses at the site where they're finally assembled, post-assembly while awaiting quality-control checks, and so forth. Much of the entire process is automated.

And you can make the exact same claim about any number of things, including that $25 watch you might pick up at Walmart.

The claim is just marketing, meant to delude would-be purchasers into thinking that hundreds if not thousands of man-hours going into the watch in the display case. The price of a Rolex has nothing to do with some inordinate amount of labor that goes into the watch, or the time from the beginning of the process to the finished device (again - this is true of cheapo watches as well) but of the precious materials in the watch, the triumph of branding, and the intentional constricting of supply in order to increase demand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty