Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2018, 09:43 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
People just repeat a meme. There is no way in this climate the boss is going to haul the women in and tell them they have to wear anything, much less heels. If you see them is because women want to wear them. Heck, even nurses don't wear uniforms anymore.
It depends on the profession. Acceptable dress is often prescribed employees’ handbooks. In most workplaces, heels would not be required, or desirable. But in some high status jobs in the corporate world, they apparently still are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2018, 09:58 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
I agree with you, I've never had a pair of high heels that didn't hurt my feet. I don't believe such a pair exists.

I'm surprised both of you have gone from 8 to 9.5 though, that seems like a huge change. I've been an 8W for about 25 years with no change, except perhaps my toe box was a little less wide when I was younger so it was easier to find 8M's that would fit.
I wore heels in my younger days. They always hurt my feet.

I have experienced three pregnancies, and worked on my feet for years. I have gone from an 8 to an 10 1/2. And the bones in my forefoot have spread just in the last few years. I do have foot problems as well. I watch people walk the track, while I am walking. There are many people with foot problems. Sometimes I see such ill fitting shoes, I have to fight the impulse to say something.

But many older women finally do seek help for their feet when the pain becomes too bad. Then they find out they have been wearing the wrong size, and that they need better (more expensive) shoes.

I also agree that totally flat shoes are not good—at least for me.

Try Pikolinos for 2 inch heels. Their shoes are stylish. Also Dansko.

Old 12-31-2018, 01:03 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,126,824 times
If people want to ruin or deform their feet by wearing certain shoes, who am I to stop them?

I wonder why people wear high heals also, but it's only a passing shake of the head.
They wear shoes that aren't good for their feet. And they know it. I eat too much of not the healthiest foods. And I know it.
C'est la vie.

Old 12-31-2018, 01:39 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,674,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrexy View Post
Bunions are not always caused by poor choices in footwear. Bunions are primarily caused by genetics, but wearing ill fitting shoes can hasten and worsen the issue. Many people wear pointy toed shoes and never get bunions. Many people never wear ill fitting or pointy toed shoes and still get bunions.

That being said, I never understood why anyone would chose to wear a shoe that hurts their feet. There are many fashionable shoes that don't hurt.

As blueherons mentioned, your feet continue to grow your entire life, although "grow" is not exactly what is going on. What happens is that the ligaments and your arches start to weaken with age and also the fat pads on the bottom of your feet get thinner with age. Both of these issues cause most people to need a larger size shoe as they get older.
For me, the problem is that I have always had more triangular feet with a narrow heel and wide toebox. I have a bunion and haglund’s deformity on the right foot and it has nothing to do with whether I wear high heels but darn near impossibility of finding shoes that fit right. For the most part, flats are even worse than heels because I have to squeeze my toes in to get the heels to stay on. I do better with a small heel than total flat.

The problem with buying shoes is also the condition when you buy them... if you are getting a sale shoe in winter for summer and your feet aren’t swollen, when your feet swell a bit you might be miserable. I have gotten a few that fit FINE when I tried them on, but when I actually wore them and it was hot out, my feet had gotten a little more swollen and they were too tight.

Old 12-31-2018, 01:50 PM

8,170 posts, read 6,034,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtBikeRider View Post

Self inflicted and yuck, don't do this !!
I have bunions and wore heels maybe twice in my life and very briefly. I think I lasted 30 minutes in my own wedding and an hour in a friends wedding wearing them. I always wear athletic shoes, flip flops that have arch support or boots. I started getting them as a kid.

Old 12-31-2018, 02:01 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,397,020 times
I will say that I wore heels all the time, lots of Manolos and Jimmy Choos up until I was pregnant with my first. At that point, my feet told me that my shoes were not OK. I will wear a short heel now or a wedge and save the fancy, bad for my feet heels for those formal events that are only a few hours long (and I have some that are actually OK and some where I hate every second of it honestly, even if I look good).

For me, I would say I just didn't even think about it until my feet told me to think about it and at least I listened. Many women ignore it in the name of fashion...their choice. My feet are in great shape now, but my heel wearing days were pretty short since I was so self conscious about being tall (5'9") when young and it was really only my 20s that were my heel wearing years.

Old 12-31-2018, 02:16 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,503,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I wore heels in my younger days. They always hurt my feet.

I have experienced three pregnancies, and worked on my feet for years. I have gone from an 8 to an 10 1/2. And the bones in my forefoot have spread just in the last few years. I do have foot problems as well. I watch people walk the track, while I am walking. There are many people with foot problems. Sometimes I see such ill fitting shoes, I have to fight the impulse to say something.

But many older women finally do seek help for their feet when the pain becomes too bad. Then they find out they have been wearing the wrong size, and that they need better (more expensive) shoes.

I also agree that totally flat shoes are not good—at least for me.

Try Pikolinos for 2 inch heels. Their shoes are stylish. Also Dansko.
I'm on my first full-term pregnancy. So far I haven't noticed a change in my feet (other than my first corn on the bottom of one of them ), but I am fortunate in being able to rest plenty and not having a job that requires standing up for hours.

I agree that complete flats are bad too. I always make sure my shoes have good strong arch support, and that you can't bend the shoe together from heel to toe, a trick I picked up watching the podiatrist once.

I have a pair of Dansko platform heeled sandals that are probably 2.5 inches, but mostly these days I wear lower shoes than that. I have some cute Munro sandals that work, and some darling Cole Haan sneakers, in addition to my ultra comfortable black Chaco sandals. I only like the Chacos with no toe loop.

My favorite pregnancy shoe since it's cold out has been my Via Spiga slip-on sneakers similar to these: https://www.viaspiga.com/Shopping/Pr...834&pg=5255379

They're soft like buttah and fit great since I had them stretched out a bit in the toe at the cobbler.

I shop the sales for most of my shoes since I've about given up on cheap shoes not causing me grave pain after a couple hours. I've never tried Pikolinos, I'll look into them sometime and see if they fit my wide-in-front-normal-in-back foot shape.

Does anybody else still have a few pairs of uncomfortable but beautiful shoes on their shoe rack that they can't seem to part with even though they know they'll never wear them again?

Old 12-31-2018, 02:33 PM

19,025 posts, read 14,201,797 times
Anecdote mode on.
A woman I knew, had bought a pair of hand made boots from a Navaho cobbler, which had a spacious toe pocket. She kept resoling them. Never wore anything else. Very happy feet.

Old 12-31-2018, 06:26 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,543,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Anecdote mode on.
A woman I knew, had bought a pair of hand made boots from a Navaho cobbler, which had a spacious toe pocket. She kept resoling them. Never wore anything else. Very happy feet.
Might work for some, but my feet get hot in boots, even if they are good quality leather. If my feet are hot, my feet are SORE. Wouldn't work for me.

Old 01-01-2019, 01:39 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,126,824 times
Obviously, not ALL heels have a narrow toe box, or pointed, restrictive toe design.
I've asked, my short friends WHY they keeping wearing heels? Well, because they're short and want to add to their height, of course. Most wear platforms, as opposed to stilettos, so at least the pitch of the foot isn't damaging.

But, most of my short friends just will NOT accept being short, and give up the heels!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty