Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2018, 02:01 AM

1,375 posts, read 1,202,163 times

Advertisements

I read an article once that the so called fashionistas and some models were getting foot surgery, removing some of the bones in their feet so they could fit into the narrower, designer shoes that Manolo and Louboutin and the like make. I thought that was crazy. But they were doing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2018, 04:47 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,312,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Ladies, may be you can explain this to me. What's the reason for some women wearing shoes (usually heels) that are much bigger than their feet. You can stick two fingers in the back of the shoe and still have room left. It can't be by accident.
Part of it like others said is when you wear a high heel your foot will move forward but the other issue is shoes that aren't narrow enough. The heel on my wedding shoes was a AA with a AAAA heel and fit like a glove. I danced for hours without the slightest bit of discomfort. If we had more size options in shoes instead of most shoes being a medium width we would probably be a lot more comfortable in a 2 inch heel.

Old 12-29-2018, 05:38 AM

2,360 posts, read 1,439,019 times
I wore 4” heels with pointy toes for years and could even run in them (I was always late). Then I ended up getting osteoarthritis in both big toes, requiring surgery. Coincidence?

Old 12-29-2018, 08:24 AM

2,516 posts, read 5,687,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtBikeRider View Post

When ever you see someone with messed up feet its always a result of bad footwear, you don't have to be a foot DR anyone can see the deformities are from the shoes they choose.
Why do you care?

The assault on femininity continues.

Old 12-29-2018, 08:52 AM

37,611 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtBikeRider View Post

When ever you see someone with messed up feet its always a result of bad footwear, you don't have to be a foot DR anyone can see the deformities are from the shoes they choose.
Shoes can contribute, but they are not the main cause of bad feet.

My mother wore nothing but very low heels and flats all her life. Her feet are a disaster.
Friend of mine is a workout buddy - a guy - worn nothing but flat shoes, and athletic shoes, most of his life. His feet are frightful.

Old 12-29-2018, 09:14 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,639,050 times
I’m probably the only guy in the world who hates high heels. I think they look stupid and are about as practical as those pants we see hanging down around one’s knees.

Old 12-29-2018, 12:51 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,256,044 times
My mom wore high heels for years, and her feet weren’t nightmares, but she demanded a proper fit. With a 4A foot, her options were limited, and she took really good care of her shoes.

I have never really worn heels, let alone spike heels, and my feet have issues from plantar fasciitis and heel fat pad atrophy. My ankle is quite painful, with no reason people can find.

Proper footwear is key. My podiatrist says a shoe that keeps your foot in a neutral position, a small amount of height in the heel, is better for your foot, so his belief is flat flats are terrible for your feet.

The last pair of Vionics I bought are going back. (I shop at Zappos). The fit was perfect, but there was a 1/2 inch gap at the heel, like the shoe itself had been stretched there. I’m on my feet all day, I need a good shoe... I’m trying the Ryka brand next...

Old 12-29-2018, 01:12 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
Why do you care?

The assault on femininity continues.
I don’t consider bunions and hammer toes to be feminine.

I don’t equate high heels with femininity.

Old 12-29-2018, 04:54 PM

121 posts, read 164,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
This article talks about how wearing high heels/tight shoes is dangerous to health and can eventually lead to hip as well as foot problems. Even equates it to the dangers of smoking, another habit considered sexy. The author even notes the surgery that some people have to shave the baby toe down to fit into tight shoes or even amputate the toe! The author equates to wearing heels/tight shoes as a reflection of low self-esteem and laughs about short women who say they "have" to wear heels, asking what their height prevents them from doing, like whether they can't reach the ATM machine:

https://www.macleans.ca/society/life...box=1544829022
Thank you for the link! I am over fifty and my feet look and feel no different than they did when I was a teenager. I avoid wearing heels as much as possible, and when I do (for short periods of time/special occasions) I try to make sure they are not too high and they fit comfortably.

Even still, in my forties I suffered a couple years with severe plantar fasciitis. I was able to resolve it and found that, for me, either walking barefoot or wearing flat, leather soled ballet style slippers indoors works best. (I even had an extra pair to wear at my office.)

In the last few years, in the summer I wear OTZ Shoes Linen Espadrilles which have a cork sole that conforms to my foot, and the rest of the year I primarily wear an incredibly comfortable pair of Sketchers with cushiony wool socks. (Similar to these - https://www.skechers.com/en-us/style...rtune-knit/nvy )

I have always avoided flip flops, mules, clogs and any other type of shoe that you have to grab with your toes - I don't know how people can stand wearing them - so I found it interesting to read this part of the article linked above:

Quote:
Avoid flip-flops, mules and slide-on sandals, which require a gripping action with the toes to keep them from flying off. “This gripping action is the same muscle pattern that deforms toe joints into the ‘hammertoe’ position,” she writes.
I truly do not understand the shoe fetish so many women seem to exhibit. I've always preferred to own just a small number of shoes that work with everything in my wardrobe. (And are as comfortable as possible.)

That said, I would like to find a new pair of neutral pumps and a pair or two of boots with heels that are lower than three inches. Are there any brands that have modest heels and are also known for being designed and made with foot health and comfort as the primary goal? (While still being relatively stylish.)

I would also love to find leather or suede boots or booties that are flat or nearly flat and are cushioned and as comfortable as my Sketchers! Any suggestions?

Old 12-29-2018, 06:00 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,256,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 419 View Post
Thank you for the link! I am over fifty and my feet look and feel no different than they did when I was a teenager. I avoid wearing heels as much as possible, and when I do (for short periods of time/special occasions) I try to make sure they are not too high and they fit comfortably.

Even still, in my forties I suffered a couple years with severe plantar fasciitis. I was able to resolve it and found that, for me, either walking barefoot or wearing flat, leather soled ballet style slippers indoors works best. (I even had an extra pair to wear at my office.)

In the last few years, in the summer I wear OTZ Shoes Linen Espadrilles which have a cork sole that conforms to my foot, and the rest of the year I primarily wear an incredibly comfortable pair of Sketchers with cushiony wool socks. (Similar to these - https://www.skechers.com/en-us/style...rtune-knit/nvy )

I have always avoided flip flops, mules, clogs and any other type of shoe that you have to grab with your toes - I don't know how people can stand wearing them - so I found it interesting to read this part of the article linked above:

I truly do not understand the shoe fetish so many women seem to exhibit. I've always preferred to own just a small number of shoes that work with everything in my wardrobe. (And are as comfortable as possible.)

That said, I would like to find a new pair of neutral pumps and a pair or two of boots with heels that are lower than three inches. Are there any brands that have modest heels and are also known for being designed and made with foot health and comfort as the primary goal? (While still being relatively stylish.)

I would also love to find leather or suede boots or booties that are flat or nearly flat and are cushioned and as comfortable as my Sketchers! Any suggestions?
https://www.hushpuppies.com/US/en/angel-ii/20514W.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty