Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2018, 03:24 AM

23,789 posts, read 33,241,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Who's Jason Momoa?
Google images, Aquaman; married to Lisa Bonnet. His father is of Native Hawaiian descent, while his mother is of German and Native American ancestry. wiki

Old 12-30-2018, 07:11 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,081,688 times
No. But I like a nicely shaped, shorter cropped, beard.

Old 12-30-2018, 12:54 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,665,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
I’d say most with shaggy beards don’t give a damn if people find them unattractive.
Those who have worn them traditionally, probably not. 24yo Best Buy clerks and downtown d-bags probably can't let a person pass them without trying to gauge what they think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Some use beards as a nose tweak to convention.
Uh-huh. Nothing promotes individuality like following the latest fashion fad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Who's Jason Momoa?
Joe Momoa. Hawaiian model or something.

Old 12-30-2018, 01:08 PM

10,999 posts, read 6,529,542 times
My ex had a weak chin and his short (maybe a week's growth) trimmed beard helped disguise that. I don't mind a few days' growth---that's "manly" enough for me. Who wants to shave daily?

But those big beards---YUCK. Stay away. I know those movie stars don't care, but it looks disgusting and so aging.

Jason Mamoa---meh.

Old 12-30-2018, 01:36 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,698,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Those who have worn them traditionally, probably not. 24yo Best Buy clerks and downtown d-bags probably can't let a person pass them without trying to gauge what they think.

Uh-huh. Nothing promotes individuality like following the latest fashion fad.

Joe Momoa. Hawaiian model or something.

No, Jason Momoa, Hawaiian actor. Ever heard of the movie Aquaman???? It just came out...

Old 12-30-2018, 01:46 PM

2,621 posts, read 3,387,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
Jim Carrey was inoffensive-looking, when he was young - but not physically attractive. And I don't like the beard, paired with the dirty-looking, combed-backward RASPUTIN HAIR. However, with clean, brush-cut hair, the beard makes him look hot-as-blazes (even though he's almost 60). https://goo.gl/images/MPWB66 He'd definitely be doable, with the short, clean hair, and the big beard.

Joaquin Phoenix is considerably less repulsive WITH the beard. Without the beard, he was hideous - so horrible I couldn't stand to look at him. With it, he's not too terribly bad.

David Letterman is really, really old, to be judged on his physical attractiveness (heck: it's over for most men who aren't bodybuilders, past age 30). It's not particularly fair, to be judging someone's sexual attractiveness, in what could be the last decade of his life. And he was never attractive, even when young (although he has a really big "asset", which at times has been clearly visible even when he was dressed, and got him a lot of attention in his early years - a casting couch advantage which compensated for his scrawny bod) Also, that picture you linked to, shows him in a wacky getup. With the beard, he's about as attractive as a 70-year-old non-bodybuilder is likely to be capable of being - when his hair isn't drawn-back or greasy or crazy, and when his glasses aren't too repulsive. Here, in good glasses, with buzzed hair, and a teeshirt, he looks like someone I could enjoy "intimacy" with - assuming his famous "asset" is in working order. https://goo.gl/images/UMPuVP

But really, most men are past being sexually attractive, after 50, unless they're bodybuilders. So, whether or not they have beards, doesn't matter, in terms of physical attractiveness. Now, if we're talking about simply being PRESENTABLE, that's another matter. And sexual attraction isn't everything. There ARE other qualities, which are equally important.

Beards can definitely extend a man's years of attractiveness, though - at least for those of us who are actually attracted to men. They're a strong gender signal. The right beard, can make me CRAZY with lust (assuming it's paired with clean hair, and not the filthy, repulsive El-greazo Lumbersexual Up-do hair recently en vogue among Hipster-wannabe poseurs: https://goo.gl/images/bfH4ab And it's not just because I'm paying over a thousand Dollars a yard for upholstery fabric, these days - hair grease being incompatible with Silk Brocatelle). I mean, Kurt Russel's moment of glory was in 'The Thing': https://goo.gl/images/uG9WNz I don't think it's possible to get a hotter beard/hair combination.

And it's not just for white guys. Long-haired & bearded Manu Bennett was the personification of Hotness, in 'Thirty Days of Night'. https://goo.gl/images/dwja4t

Then, there's Tom Hanks, whom I'd always considered to be just an emasculated little termite of a being - totally sexless - an absolute nothing. With his usual "clean-cut" look, there's no way I could "have relations" with him - even with a young Tom Hanks. I'd be retching, uncontrollably. But then, I saw pictures of him without all that over-grooming. His natural, beachy look isn't bad at all: https://goo.gl/images/8wFDjj

Every single time I've looked at a guy and wondered how it was even possible for a man to be so attractive, he's either had a super-hairy chest, a really big moustache, or a big, thick beard. It's all about those gender signals. The more the better...
I (being a male) try to imagine myself being a woman and wanting to have all that facial hair in my face and mouth when trying to be love-y dove-y with someone like the photo provided of Joaquin Phoenix by myself. Nearly forty years ago, I heard a group of children and young teens talking about things which disgusted or repulsed them and they uttered words like "Gross!" and "Ugh-a-roo!" Funny expression to my ears (i.e., "Ugh-a-roo!"). Well, about being kissy-y kiss-y and love-y dove-y with a male having a head and face full of a great bush of unruly hair (and such hair ALSO surrounding and hanging around all sides of the male's mouth & lips as well), I say to all that: a super-duper "UGH-A-ROO!!!!!!!!"

Last edited by UsAll; 12-30-2018 at 02:06 PM..

Old 12-30-2018, 01:52 PM

14,229 posts, read 29,906,896 times
I think beards LOOK OK if they are trimmed and groomed. But I have seen way too many beards that are just 'old guy gave up' lazy. Where their nose hair grows into the mustache and the ear hair is combed into their sideburns. Gross. And yesterday's lunch is still there too. EWWWW!

Now as far as being intimate with a bearded person, no thanks. That goes for Jason Momoa too. I take care of my skin and I don't want to be covered with rug burn for days. And it hurts! I would be willing to bet bearded men get less sex than their smooth faced contemporaries. I always thought the old guy beard was a statement of sorts that said no longer interested!

And it adds YEARS to how old they look!

Last edited by yellowsnow; 12-30-2018 at 02:26 PM..

Old 12-30-2018, 02:18 PM

18,748 posts, read 11,711,598 times
I have three friends that play Santa and have shaggy beards. One trims his back after Santa season and he looks much better. One looks like homeless guy with his long hair and beard the rest of the year. The other kept his beard trimmed and tidy. Some beards are attractive. some are not.

Old 12-30-2018, 02:42 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,442,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBAinTexas View Post
And the women who claim they hate long beards and long hair, would bang Jason Momoa in a heartbeat.
That’s different...

Old 12-30-2018, 03:02 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,885,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I suspect it is rebellion against the expectations that those men have had to live up to. Between projects or in retirement, they don’t have to shave, so they don’t. They don’t care how they appear at all. They are older guys, after all.

Other non famous older guys grow beards too.

Do I personally like those bushy beards? No! And I am thankful DH feels the same, because he’d hear about it from me if he did. I would not stop him though, if he really wanted to grow a beard. I’d fuss.

At any rate, those guys don’t affect me in the least. I don’t care what they do. They look like Old Testament patriarchs or hillbillies, neither of which appeal to me. But I honstly don’t care what they do.
I am not a fan of bushy beards.

But I think that for many men, who have long felt compelled to shave daily or almost daily, growing a beard is an act of rebellion, a declaration of freedom. I went to a high school with a dress code that forbade beards, and I for a large part of my professional career, facial hair was frowned upon at my jobs.

I have cut back on my shaving. I used to be on autopilot, shaving every day, even on weekend. Over time, I have cut back gradually, first cutting out weekend shaving, then cutting down to 3 days per week and then 2 days per week, where I am now. I like to have some stubble; it's a liberating feeling, sort of like wearing sneakers in situations where dress shoes are usually expected (which I love to do).

I don't intend to grow a full beard because my beard comes in grey and it becomes obvious after about 5 days, and I don't love the way it looks.

When I am retired, there's no telling how often I will shave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty