U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2018, 10:53 PM

7,646 posts, read 2,414,235 times

Advertisements

The problem with old, revived brands, is that most of them were bought by the Chinese and nothing but the logo is the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2018, 10:10 AM

2,634 posts, read 1,314,245 times
Most of the brands are some company buying the names and making all kinds of things and slapping the logo on them. For example Tommy, Calvin Klein, and Izod are in every Outlet Mall in America. Not so much making a comeback, its pushing more bland product through distribution channels. Bill Blass, Halston, Geoffrey Beene, Givenchy, Anne Klein, Oleg Cassini, Pierre Cardin and Perry Ellis are just some of the names who founders have passed and the name is licensed. I was in the Optical Business for 50+ years. The first designer frame was Dior and Oscar de la Renta. They had major cache back in the day, we thought it would be a fad, but it has gone on to take over the business and "designer, quasi designer and celebrities" are plastered all over every frame now. RayBan, while not a designer, is the best selling brand in the world. many companies are recycling old designs like they do in clothing. The Wayfarer one of the most iconic RayBan styles has been around since 1952.

Old 12-31-2018, 10:33 AM

19,716 posts, read 12,990,900 times
When a brand is revived, it is usually not the same as before. Case in point: Liz Claiborne.

Old 12-31-2018, 10:45 AM

96 posts, read 11,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
One brand that I wonder if it will make a comeback is Nautica.

I was in a Nautica store recently. Everything was overpriced.

Old 12-31-2018, 11:23 AM

Location: Follow the oil exhaust cloud until you run out of gas, then turn left
931 posts, read 272,029 times
Quote:
All Stars in particular) seemed very popular a few decades ago, but then faded into partial obscurity until just a few (+-5?) years ago.

More like about 18 years ago. I first started seeing them sort of petering in when I was just out of high school at the turn of the century. They didn't really start to reach critical mass until maybe 12-15 years ago, just after Nike bought Converse out. Black and red high-top Chucks got me through the 90s and early 2000s when you could still get them for something like $20. Then they suddenly became "every teenage girl with a cell phone and her dog has them" and started exceeding $50, making them completely not worth it. They now appear to be losing some popularity to older Vans styles.

I look forward to seeing the podiatry bonanza that'll start in about 20 years as a result of this generation's developing self-inflicted flat-footedness epidemic. I'll be like "see? I told you so".

Old 12-31-2018, 11:30 AM

17,878 posts, read 22,180,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
Could anyone give examples of once-dead brands that are now making a comeback?

I think the best example is Tommy Hilfiger. Once a dead brand is now the fastest growing brand for PVH.

A lesser example is IZOD, which has seen its ups and downs. The most recent downturn was around 2014-2015, but has been gaining popularity again since 2016.
Which is why Izod shows up at JCP, and many "has been brands", that were once trendy, can be seen at Walmart. "Designer" jeans that were once a hit with HS and college girls of the late 70s and early 80s - brands such as Gloria Vanderbilt and Jordasch, can be found at discount stores.

They are a shadow of their former selves.

Here's some nostalgia for those of us of a certain age - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAZP9i6MvSw

Old 12-31-2018, 12:00 PM

4,849 posts, read 7,400,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Which is why Izod shows up at JCP, and many "has been brands", that were once trendy, can be seen at Walmart. "Designer" jeans that were once a hit with HS and college girls of the late 70s and early 80s - brands such as Gloria Vanderbilt and Jordasch, can be found at discount stores.

They are a shadow of their former selves.

Here's some nostalgia for those of us of a certain age -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAZP9i6MvSw
IZOD in 2018 alone brought back their women's line and expanded to parts of Europe. This, combined with the successful launch of the Advantage line in 2016, seems to indicate the brand is becoming popular again.

Old 12-31-2018, 01:40 PM

1,421 posts, read 2,777,237 times
The Gerry brand was relaunched in 2010, but it is a shadow of its former self. It sold down jackets, among other things, and its popularity peaked in the late 1970s. It was the North Face of its era. I wore a Gerry down jacket through my college years in the early 1980s. The best lightweight winter jacket I ever owned.

Gerry Outdoors | Our Heritage

Old 12-31-2018, 04:06 PM

4,307 posts, read 2,270,194 times
Let me know when any of these brands make the most important comeback, which is "Made in the USA".

(Yes, I am willing to pay more.)

Old 12-31-2018, 04:47 PM

1,470 posts, read 507,557 times
LLBean?
it was lost 11 years ago...
but 4 years ago, it took off
at the colleges around here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or